FORUMS: list search recent posts

Peak vs. RMS and Audio Mix Settings

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie King
Peak vs. RMS and Audio Mix Settings
on Oct 23, 2014 at 3:30:40 pm

Hi Everybody:

I went to this website and came across this post. Would anyone know anything about this in regard to RMS vs Peak?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9273285-post30.html

Also, even though I am calibrating my speakers for theatre, which will be 79 to 82db, should I keep the mix console set to 0 to -6db?

Thanks everybody! Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Peak vs. RMS and Audio Mix Settings
on Oct 24, 2014 at 4:00:03 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Oct 24, 2014 at 4:07:50 am

[Debbie King] "Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated."
Well, with regard to choosing between RMS and PEAK Metering, Debbie, and as you asked for "Any help", you would be well advised to read this both straightforward and illustrative entree into understanding the feature-set of these two Tools.: http://support.biamp.com/Audia-Nexia/Miscellaneous/Peak_vs_RMS_Meters "Peak vs RMS Meters" paying particular attention to the final section: "Which meter should I use?"

Best regards

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Oct 24, 2014 at 7:51:00 pm

Hi Grazie:

Thank you so much for the article. Great help! When metering, do you keep your console between 0 to -6db? I was concerned about where the levels should be in Vegas directly while I calibrate my speakers.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 24, 2014 at 9:46:10 pm

[Debbie King] " When metering, do you keep your console between 0 to -6db?"
After I've set my own tiny Studio Audio Monitors settings up, that Headroom would work for me. Sometimes, dependent on the job, I do move North towards -3dB.

Debbie, I've got to ask, have you set your Audio Monitors up for your Editing Space? Here's a useful Video Tutorial from Brent Heber. "Speaker calibration for Film and TV Sound Mixing": It's chock-full of advice.

Again, with regard to setting up your Monitors, I do recommend this thread on the SONY Forum: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&Messag...

I also had a Sound Pressure App on my iPhone! - Can't find it now . . . .

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Oct 24, 2014 at 11:23:50 pm
Last Edited By Debbie King on Oct 24, 2014 at 11:32:43 pm

Hi Grazie:

Yes. I read the blog and saw the video a couple of days ago. It was very informative. I will watch it again. I remember him saying that if the room is small, between 79 to 80db should be the mark. I just calibrated my speakers today at 79db, because my room is small. I used the Presonus Studio One Tone Generator plugin, and the Radio Shack Sound Meter. If I go over 79-80db, my meter throws off the balance, and it seems that the meter is reading that one speaker is more sensitive. When I return to a lower db, everything synchronized.

UPDATE: I just played some of the film in Vegas and the sound is much lower than what I calibrated. Could it be because I didn't Pink Noise directly in Vegas?

Thank you so much for your help Grazie. It's very much appreciated.

Best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 25, 2014 at 3:12:58 am

To determine that use what has been advised. Without following the advise I'd be only guessing.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Oct 25, 2014 at 5:02:20 pm

Hi Grazie:

I found a download of Pink Noise and dropped it into my timeline in Vegas. It read the same as what was calibrated by Studio One's Tone Generator. I'll share the link, just in case someone reads this with the same problem. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=87830

Thank you so much for your help.

All the best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]