FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ready To Calibrate Speakers for Theatre

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie King
Ready To Calibrate Speakers for Theatre
on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:36:46 pm

Hi Everyone:

I apologize if you've answered this question before.

I posted something a while ago and someone mentioned something about speaker calibration and pink noise. For the life of me, I cannot find that post. I remembered some of what was said, so this is what I have done so far:

1. I downloaded an spl monitor app on my android phone to calibrate speakers. I know Radio Shack sells them, but I'm laboring on a strict budget. Do you think the phone app would suffice?

2. I am in the process of looking for a test tone software to download. Any suggestions?

The big question is, once I have all of what I need to do the calibration, how do I do it? I did saw a demonstration, where this engineer turned up the volume of the speaker as he placed his phone with the app near the speaker. Nothing was playing, and the numbers were moving. What I didn't see was how he applied the pink noise for accurate calibration. I keep reading that the pink noise should play through the speakers. Should the pink noise play through the speakers at the same time the volume of the speakers are raised using the spl? This is where I am confused.

3. The last question is how does this apply to the levels directly in Vegas? What I mean is that should I still level the volumes between 0 to -6? My compression on all tracks currently is set to -24, amount 1.5, Output/input between 9 and 6. While doing the calibration, is it advised to turn down the master volume in Vegas?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Ready To Calibrate Speakers for Theatre
on Oct 22, 2014 at 5:34:32 pm

Debbie, this thread on the Gearslutz forum is a very good place to go for advice. The very first post has the tutorial link. Good luck.

Speaker Calibration tutorial

Return to posts index

Debbie King
Re: Ready To Calibrate Speakers for Theatre
on Oct 23, 2014 at 3:16:14 pm

Thanks Mike for the link.

All the best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]