FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Truth about AVCHD 1080-60i to DVD Looks horrible standing closer than 10 feet away

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Johnson
The Truth about AVCHD 1080-60i to DVD Looks horrible standing closer than 10 feet away
on Oct 18, 2014 at 4:15:01 pm

I have read these forums many times looking for the elusive way to render 1920x1080 60i AVCHD footage to DVD. John Rofrano repeatedly instructs to use the Sony Vegas HD 1080-60i (1920x1080, 29.970 fps) template and to render using DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream. This is what I do. When I look at the finished product on any wide screen TV I am sickened that I have to show this to my clients.

When the camera is still, it could be considered just crappy. But when doing any panning whatsoever, the picture degrades (less so at slower panning speeds) I do not know what this is called by the way. I call it crapification. Strobing? Juddering? I would really like to know the correct term.

We also produce onto Blu-ray which is so refreshing, but so few of my clients have a Blu-ray player.

John Rofrano, if you happen to be reading, do you agree with me that even using the method you prescribe, that you have to be standing 10-12 feet away from the TV screen to be able to call what you are watching acceptable? I shoot special events and my clients keep using me year after year so maybe its just me. But, as a professional, it is so hard to have to produce onto DVD.

By the way, John, you have been nothing but very informative and very helpful to all of us. I thank you! I just want your opinion on what you truly think it looks like (1080i AVCHD to DVD.) Do you agree that it is tough to look at?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: The Truth about AVCHD 1080-60i to DVD Looks horrible standing closer than 10 feet away
on Oct 19, 2014 at 1:10:51 am

What recorded the source footage? That comes into play, big time. When I compare my DVDs (24 mb/s AVCHD camera) to my friends Sony FS700 w/Odyssey 7Q, his DVDs look much better because the original footage is much better quality. And we use same software, same render settings.

Panning on CMOS cameras can suck, especially on fast pans with lower bitrate cameras.

Return to posts index

Rich Johnson
Re: The Truth about AVCHD 1080-60i to DVD Looks horrible standing closer than 10 feet away
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:27:21 pm

We mainly use Panasonic HMC-80's. 3MOS sensor shooting at 21-24 mbps.
What are your thoughts on that? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Oct 26, 2014 at 7:43:27 pm

This are the settings?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]