FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting .m2ts for YouTube viewing?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Lee
Converting .m2ts for YouTube viewing?
on Oct 15, 2014 at 3:51:04 pm

My Sony camcorder creates .m2ts files, and I merge them to create sports highlight videos that I upload to YouTube.

Using Sony Vegas to merge the .m2ts files into one, I've never had a problem, even as recently as a week ago.

But over the past few days, any .m2ts video I upload to YouTube is choppy. Not a ton, but enough to be annoy. The .m2ts merged field plays great on my PC, though.

What should I do? Should I do a different Render Output format? Up till now, I've been using a custom one based from the "Sony AVC/MVC" family. In the past, I've tried creating .mp4 files "MainConcept AVC/AAC - Internet HD 720p" family, but the file looked a little choppy as well.

Should I use that family, but with Internet HD 1080p? Or perhaps a different Sony AVC/MVC setting?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Converting .m2ts for YouTube viewing?
on Oct 15, 2014 at 4:32:08 pm

Is the video choppy due to fast movement of recorded objects and the shutter speed you used to record?

Return to posts index

John Lee
on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:00:56 pm

It's game film so there are things moving around, but it's never been a problem until now. Again, the merged video plays fine on my PC. It's the upload/conversion by YT that now appears to be a problem (never was before).

Return to posts index

Francis S. Dobos
on Oct 15, 2014 at 4:36:30 pm

My source files are m2ts and I use Vegas 13.0. I usually use the Sony AVC/MVC Internet 1920x1080 30p template for Youtube. Nothing quality problem. You have to control all settings during editing and rendering.

Francis S. Dobos

Return to posts index

John Lee
on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:03:27 pm

Yeah, I had originally created my own version. I also started with Sony AVC/MVC, 29.970 NTSC frame rate, and then went with an 18,000,000 bit rate.

There must be something YT now because it's not smooth like before. Should I increase/decrease the bit rate?

Return to posts index

Francis S. Dobos
on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:18:11 pm

Changing the bitrate will not help. Youtube always modifies the settings. Some days ago I uploaded a 366 MB footage, but on the YT it is only 97 MB! I am sure the bitrate decreased significantly.

Francis S. Dobos

Return to posts index

John Lee
on Oct 17, 2014 at 10:27:31 am

Your settings are very similar to the ones I've been using for a long time. Have you uploaded anything with these type of settings recently (i.e. within the past week?)

Return to posts index

Francis S. Dobos
on Oct 17, 2014 at 7:21:33 pm

Hello John! I uploaded this footage 10 days ago:

The rendering template was the same what I mentioned before.

Francis S. Dobos

Return to posts index

John Lee
on Oct 18, 2014 at 12:02:19 am

That sounds like the rendering I used to do, but it's not working for me anymore.

Maybe I messed up with some SV internal settings? Is it possible to reset the program to the initial defaults? I am pulling my hair out over this.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 18, 2014 at 3:20:56 am

What are your project setting?
Are the files 1080p or 1080i, what is the framerate and does this match your project settings? Same for your render...

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Francis S. Dobos
on Oct 18, 2014 at 8:51:07 am

I hope you did not change the settings on the 'Internal' tab of the 'Preferences". If not, you can reset the preferences of SV 13 in the Option menu (Options>Preferences>Default All button). Here is the project settings of my footage:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhkicndiguz2ckw/psettings-1.jpg?dl=0

Francis S. Dobos

Return to posts index

John Lee
on Oct 18, 2014 at 1:15:53 pm

Thanks for the reply.

1. No, I did not change those preferences (and I actually don't even see an "Internal" tab in Preferences.

2. I'm frustrated because these are the settings I've always used. It produces a beautiful video to watch on my PC, but the uploaded version on YT is somewhat pixelated and definitely not smooth.

Here is an example of what is happening to me:

3. I see your settings, but the menu is different than mine (I used Sony AVC/MVC 1920x1080-60i. I have always used a modified version with a bitrate of 18MM, but the example below is an unmodified one where the bitrate is 16MM.

What "family" is your settings from? Does it produce an .m2ts file?

Thanks. I am really frustrated.

Return to posts index

Francis S. Dobos
on Oct 18, 2014 at 2:12:26 pm

Hello John!
1. The Internal tab in the Preferences is hidden, because changing it means risk. Don't worry about it.
2.The video example (test avchd 1920x1080 60i) is perfect! I don't see any quality problem. It is smooth, nothing pixelating.
3. I am in Europe, we use the PAL system templates (1920x1080 50i). You have to use the NTSC system. It is OK. But rendering for the YT with 18 Mbps bitrate is unnecessary. YT decreases the bitrate significantly. I suggest using the original template. My camcorder (HDR CX700VE) records m2ts files (1920x1080 50i), I edit them with Vegas 13.

I don't know why you see quality problems viewing the uploaded file. It is perfect.

Francis S. Dobos

Return to posts index

John Lee
on Oct 18, 2014 at 2:58:16 pm

First, thank you for your replies. I realized that you were in Europe and your settings could be slightly different, but it sounds like we are talking the same lanauge.

Really? I tried viewing the video from a different computer and I still see the same problem - it is not smooth and it's maybe not pixelated, but it's a little blocky. There is a tremendous difference between the original version viewed on my PC, and the one on YT.

Yes, I know YT degrades the quality of the original as it is processed, but it is nothing like I've ever seen before.

Let's try this. This first link is a video I uploaded a few weeks ago, and it still looks great.

This 2nd link is the same video (a little longer, but the same video files merged together), but uploaded recently and it looks appreciably worse. Do you see a difference between the two?

Return to posts index

John Lee
on Oct 18, 2014 at 3:45:09 pm

Nigel,

It may not be an SV issue. First of all, did you see an issue with the two videos I posted? The first should look great, the second should show the issues I'm talking about.

I just did a test using SV and then Sony Playmemories. Both videos are below (the Playmemories is the 2nd one). Both look the same - slightly blocky and definitely not smooth.

The only thing I can think of is that I've been trying to get a virus off my PC, and maybe I played around with msconfig a bit to stop certain programs from loading up. I went back and have allowed everything to pop up, but I am stumped why my videos look great on the PC, but not uploaded to YT.

Using SV:

Using Sony Playmemories:

Return to posts index

Francis S. Dobos
on Oct 18, 2014 at 4:09:05 pm

I downloaded both clips directly from Youtube. In Windows Media Player both are perfect. Nothing quality problem. According to Mediainfo the two clips are nearly the same. Here are the results:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkcmd0n8alymfhi/firstclipsets.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw476c5syn38fmv/secondclipsets.jpg?dl=0

The only difference is the frame rate mode: the first clip has constant, the second one has variable frame rate.

I don't know why you see degraded quality in the second case. But it is sure, editing, rendering and uploading was OK.

Francis S. Dobos

Return to posts index

John Lee
on Oct 18, 2014 at 6:04:16 pm

Thank you for replying. How did the 2 videos look on YouTube? On my PC, the two videos looked identical and great, but the 2nd video looked terrible on YT. How did it look for you?

Return to posts index

Francis S. Dobos
on Oct 19, 2014 at 6:24:59 am

I have watched again the second video on Youtube (I made there a remark also). The playing quality was 720p, but not on full screen. I did not see any problem considering the quality. It is perfect.

Francis S. Dobos

Return to posts index

John Lee
on Oct 19, 2014 at 1:48:27 pm

I'm really stumped. I know the quality on YT is always not as good as the original file, but it simply looks like there is a flicker.

Did you see the same problem with the first video as well?

Return to posts index

Francis S. Dobos
on Oct 19, 2014 at 2:30:29 pm

I don't see problems with the videos. I watched them directly on the Youtube (movie mode, 720p resolution), the quality was perfect. There is no difference between playing the downloaded versions on the PC (with Windows Media Player ) and viewing them on the Youtube. Both of them have good quality. Ask a friend in the US to control the YT quality. Here in Europe everything is all right.

Francis S. Dobos

Return to posts index

Quincy Berry
on Oct 20, 2014 at 1:49:40 am

I would just like to add my 2 cents. Videos I uploaded starting 2 weeks ago are very pixelated when being played on youtube. 720p full screen looks very pixelated. I don't know if I changed a setting. I will do a test re render it at 1080p but I have a few 720p videos and they didn't look as bad as the recent uploads. I was wondering the same thing, if Youtube is cheaping out and compressing it even more, it looks bad. Something is different.

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Jan 21, 2015 at 2:09:40 am

youtube will just compress your videos very hard. you can try the new VP9 which Youtube said they support for HD video quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]