FORUMS: list search recent posts

New build for SVP13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Jackson
New build for SVP13
on Oct 4, 2014 at 12:54:27 am

So, I've found a sweet deal on a refurbed Dual Xeon workstation, that I've up'd the RAM to 22GB, put in an SSD for Win7 Pro OS and added a NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti video card.

The question is this: Before loading Sony Vegas pro 13 (build 373), should I run all of the current Windows 7 updates?

I keep hearing vague reports of "Windows updated and it broke Vegas" with rarely a mention of which update was (or updates were) determined to be at fault.

But what about a new Vegas install? Better to start out fully patched? Anyone know specific updates to AVOID?

Regards,
--Doug

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: New build for SVP13
on Oct 4, 2014 at 2:49:28 am

I would get Windows 7 updated to whatever your preference is before installing any software. I have always left critical windows updates enabled and I've not had problems others report. I don't get my device drivers, like video driver, through Microsoft/Windows and thus Windows update does not mess with those.

I would install the most current build of your Vegas version. As you state it is Vegas 13 and the current build is 373.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Oct 5, 2014 at 4:18:01 am

I've never had an issue with any Win7 updates, but many times (if not almost every time) an update can cause an issue with a particular hardware driver.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 5, 2014 at 10:42:01 am

Windows updates is never something i recommend for a dedicated editing system!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Oct 5, 2014 at 1:38:49 pm

Steve is correct on this. If you're a pro editor your system should not be set for auto updates, and probably not left online all the time. A Windows update isn't going to improve your editing experience whatsoever.

Some, like myself, use our systems for other things so Windows updates are handled differently.

Dave

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Oct 5, 2014 at 1:10:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I've done all current important and critical Windows 7 updates, then loaded up SVP13 with my other additional plug-ins.

Ran a couple of quick tests on some existing projects and everything seems quite happy. Preview is quite smooth even with several VFX applied.
I don't have any real benchmarks to post, but I've successfully rendered a 5 minute, fairly 'complex' clip of several tracks of AVCHD with several layered VFX in under 10 minutes. And the output of the HD MP4 looks nice.

At present, I'm a happy camper.

Regards,
--Doug

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]