FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro in the Professional market.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Warfe
Sony Vegas Pro in the Professional market.
on Sep 26, 2014 at 1:40:15 pm
Last Edited By Jason Warfe on Sep 26, 2014 at 1:45:45 pm

I edit everything with Vegas Pro. I think it's an amazing editor. Does it hold up in the professional market? I was recently talking to another editor and when I asked what he edit's with, he said "Well, don't laugh, but I use Vegas Pro." Why would I laugh? Is Vegas Pro considered a second rate editor when put up against Final Cut? I don't think so. I know this forum is full of capable and amazing Vegas Pro editors. What do you all think? If "Vegas Pro" is on a resume does it limit your options? Should I train myself further in Final Cut even though I think Vegas Pro is better? I have used Final Cut but I just really like the flow of Vegas Pro.

Return to posts index

john bolton
Re: Sony Vegas Pro in the Professional market.
on Sep 26, 2014 at 4:46:53 pm

Hi Jason.. I am not a Professional Editor but like you I use Vegas Pro and at my Friends Studio we use FCP. For me the results are just the same.... SV is so much more intuitive than FCP but like all software, once you get used to it then the flow stays the same... FCP set a standard when nothing else was available and once you have the Hardware then you just continue with it. I guess others will have other opinions.. but this is just my experience with using both.. It seems Broadcasters prefer FCP because that's all they have been used too.

Return to posts index

Kelly Griffin
on Sep 26, 2014 at 4:55:01 pm

I would tell you, emphatically, to lose no sleep over this. Vegas is the most powerful creation tool I've ever used, and I've been working on professional editing tools since the days before desktop. And, in thirty years I've had probably less than ten people ever ask me what I use anyway. If the results can speak for themselves you'll not have to defend yourself.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Sep 27, 2014 at 5:03:54 am

Asking someone about their editing program is like asking about religion.

Years ago Vegas did not have any plug-in support, so FCP and Premiere users laughed at us. When Vegas was slow to use GPU support, they laughed.

So the wallflower patina persists.

If asked "which program should I learn?", I reply that if they will be paid by the hour, then definitely learn Avid, Premiere or FCP. If you are paid by the project, or just want to edit for your own use, then you can't beat Vegas.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Kelly Griffin
on Sep 27, 2014 at 7:17:59 am

And I would argue, if you're paid by the hour, choose Vegas.

When I was first learning/discovering it, I was skeptical. Now I'm not skeptical. It's one pretty bitchin' tool(box).

--KG

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Sep 27, 2014 at 2:11:45 pm

And I would argue, if you're paid by the hour, choose Vegas.

Why? If you're paid by the hour then you want the slowest, most complex and confusing workflow possible. That's not Vegas.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Sep 27, 2014 at 11:17:24 am

What really goes best on a resume is indeed Final Cut or Avid.
Don't know why they have this stigma on Vegas. But i don't care,
Vegas is what i use and proud of it...

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Thomas Roberts
on Sep 27, 2014 at 5:44:36 pm

Douglas Spotted Eagle, who use to be a contributor here has trained editors on the network and studio level on how to use Sony Vegas Pro. If you ever attend NAB in Las Vegas, you will meet a lot of interesting filmmakers who edit on SVP

. The biggest grossing Indie film was edited on SVP
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageI...
The film made 84 million on a $15,000 budget

Don't worry, do great work with the tools you have :)

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Sep 29, 2014 at 6:16:15 pm

I thought that I had read somewhere that "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was also edited in SVP.

Can anyone verify that?

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Sep 30, 2014 at 4:16:52 am

Hi, it's very simple. Training in as many workflows as you can get your hands on can only result in your ability to garner more work. Don't concern yourself much about the tool you use or what others say, concentrate on the task of telling the story that is what will get you past the front office and into the editing chair. I, like others have found SVP to do what is needed with a minimum of fuss and bother.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]