FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Vegas handle these edit formats well?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Francis
Does Vegas handle these edit formats well?
on Sep 24, 2014 at 2:46:20 pm

Looking at purchasing an Atomos Ninja 2 recorder for both a DSLR and also as a backup or main recorder for my ATEM TVS. It records to Apple's ProRes or Avid's DNxHD formats...Have only worked a little bit with ProRes in the past (like SVP10)and I am wondering is Vegas handles these formats well now, and which would be better to use...

Thanks is advance!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Does Vegas handle these edit formats well?
on Sep 24, 2014 at 3:23:24 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Sep 24, 2014 at 3:24:24 pm

Either one would probably work about the same. You will need to have Quicktime installed to use them.

Apple ProRes is really an Apple "copy" of Avid DnxHD. For the most part it mimics the bitrates and features of DNxHD, and both of these are not much different than Motion jpeg. DnxHD and ProRes are very high bitrate codecs, so your files will be large. They are all fundamentally I-frame only, DCT image compression codecs. The technical particulars are what differs.

The current versions of Quicktime have a ProRes decoder built-in. DNxHD you will have to install. It is free here.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-Codecs-LE-2-3-9

I have used DNxHD as intermediates to pass to Handbrake and have had no problems.

If you load a lot of Quicktime media clips, about 50, into a project you will run into memory problems. The main problem here is that QT is 32-bit only and Vegas uses a 32-bit helper program (FileIOSurrogate) to access QT and this program runs out of memory. There is no workaround to this limit.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 24, 2014 at 4:00:22 pm

Thanks so much Norman, really appreciate your help!!! I have QT installed and it sounds like DNxHD is better from what you said. I am assuming it doesn't have the QT 32bit memory issues, correct?

Again, appreciate your input!!

Best

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 24, 2014 at 5:03:23 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Sep 24, 2014 at 5:12:08 pm

No, DNxHD has the QT issues as well. The Avid codecs install themselves into Quicktime.

With DNxhD you will be able to encode DNxHD files has well. Encoding ProRes on Windows can be done but it is a bit of a mess.

I have also read about gamma issues with ProRes, but this talk is mostly about going to/from Mac and PC NLE systems. Some of that talk is certainly FUD and some not. Unless you have a compelling need for ProRes I would avoid any possibility of that issue.

If the 50 media file issue is a problem, you can work around it. Transcode the DNxHD/ProRes files to Cineform AVI (also free) or XAVC Intra. Since this is another encode, there technically is loss, but nothing you can see.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 25, 2014 at 11:09:07 am
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Sep 25, 2014 at 11:11:54 am

[Scott Francis] "It records to Apple's ProRes or Avid's DNxHD formats..."
Here is my professional opinion. Take if what it's worth:

If you are buying a camera or video recorder that records ProRes or DNxHD QuickTime files there is only one choice... Buy a Mac!!!!

Vegas does not handle QuickTime well because it's limited to 32-bit processing on Windows. You will think everything is fine and then you will get to a point in your project where you add one more QuickTime file and everything goes wrong because QuickTime on Windows is 32-bit and you can't have a lot of QuickTime files in your project. I've seen it happen to people time and time again. It works for small projects but not for large ones.

I can't stress this enough. If you are going to work with Apple formats, buy yourself an Apple computer. It will save you hours and hours of headaches down the road. I've been there and done that and I now own Mac and edit Apple formats in FCP X and everything works as expected. Otherwise don't buy devices that output QuickTime files and stick with your PC or be prepared to transcode the QuickTime files into Sony MXF or some other format that Vegas Pro edits easily.

You have been warned. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 29, 2014 at 5:14:57 pm

Hmmmm, well John, going completely Apple is NOT an option, I am looking to update what I get from my ATEM TVS, and also be able to use a recorder that can bypass the DSLR 30 minute limit. I have $800 to spend on that recorder, not the ability to "invest" in all things Apple. Atomos and most of the stand alone recorders I have researched are using these type formats, also I plan on using 1-10 video clips in any case, so I don't even know if the file limit will matter to me. I can also, remux if need be, correct?
I understand your thoughts, but some things are just not an option at this point.
And I understand, I have been warned...;-)

Best

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 30, 2014 at 5:38:13 pm

[Scott Francis] "well John, going completely Apple is NOT an option"
Then my recommendation would be that buying a video recording device that captures QuickTime files should either not be an option or be prepared to transcode them into a PC friendly format. That's all I was pointing out... i.e., buying devices that are compatible with your editing computer will save you time and headaches.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]