FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best settings to play back on computer?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Holt
Best settings to play back on computer?
on Sep 23, 2014 at 10:09:32 pm

We do projects in class and then we play them back on our school channel. No projects are actually made into DVD or Bluray. We just create them in as HD as possible to keep the high quality and then render to HD formats. My question for you is what is the best format to render to. We will be putting these on Schooltube also so I was wondering what would be the best overall format to use? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Best settings to play back on computer?
on Sep 23, 2014 at 11:03:41 pm

Hopefully Schooltube has recommendations for encode settings. Much like Youtube and Video have recommended settings. I would go with those settings.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Sep 24, 2014 at 12:24:22 pm

First you need to find out what are their recommended formats for video uploads.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Scott Holt
on Sep 24, 2014 at 5:47:32 pm

SchoolTube's recommendations are a little too low for my liking I think. I will probably use YouTube but those two are the least of my concern. My main concern is for our Channel 12 school channel which is powerful enough to run about anything. It has an AMD A10-5800K quad core and an R7-265 video card, plus 8gigs of ram. No problem playing stuff on our channel. I just want to know what you all would recommend for that I guess. You must excuse me as sometimes I think one thing but write another and don't say it clearly enough. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 24, 2014 at 7:15:01 pm

Render settings are somewhat related to your source. What is that? Is it 1080, 30p, 60p, 60i?

If your source is 1080 your machine specs should be able to handle 1080 easily. The Mainconcept AVC and Sony AVC, Internet 1080 templates are a good start.

You can adjust the audio bitrate, video frame rate and video bitrate as necessary depending on your source. I would suggest you raise the audio bitrate above the stock 128K.

A video bitrate 12-20Mbps average range should work for your source material. I know that is a wide range. Your eyes are the best just as to what is appropriate.

Return to posts index

Scott Holt
on Sep 24, 2014 at 7:39:36 pm

The source material is 1080 60i. Do you think the 1440x1080 would be good enough? I am also trying to cut down render time a little bit if possible. I just like to see what the experts are doing.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 24, 2014 at 10:27:10 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Sep 24, 2014 at 10:49:09 pm

Render times are what they are.

I just read your post again, and what exactly do you mean by "Channel 12 school channel"?

The channel 12 reference makes me wonder is this actual TV? This transmission has nothing to do with what you render since it must be converted.

IF TV, is the PC you mention doing the conversion to TV broadcast. If historical analog channel 12, then this is standard definition and 1080 has no place in this. IF digital broadcast, then is it HDTV digital.

IF yes to digital, then 19.3Mbps TOTAL bitrate with mpeg-2 video and AC-3 audio, is an ideal fit. aka HDTV spec. But if the PC is doing a conversion, then lots of stuff works, as long as the conversion can be done in real time. Maybe just giving the conversion PC an XDCAM EX file. A little overkill but simple and the templates are just sitting there ready made.

If could go on with questions, so if you want specific answers, then we need specific information.

Return to posts index

Scott Holt
on Sep 24, 2014 at 10:38:03 pm

I think it is actual TV. It plays on peoples TVs that have cable TV in our town. We call it the school channel because we are responsible for putting content on it. Our football games, programs, student projects etc. We put it on the computer that is connected to the cable systems equipment and off it goes. People are now watching our broadcasts on their TVs at home. We are not watching in HD at this point but that will change in the next couple of months when things are updated. I have been putting in different formats to check what works from SD to HD and everything I throw at it works although the HD gets converted to SD. When I use HD format the picture on the TV is so much better than when I render to SD and play that. No, it is not HD I understand that but it is just crisper and cleaner to look at is all. Are we getting closer. :)

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 25, 2014 at 2:17:32 am

Well, then the XDCAM EX 35Mbps could be a good option for HD material. Maybe even the XDCAM EX SQ 1440x1080 25Mbps templates.

It is very high quality. It has lossless PCM audio. It will give very high performance on decode so your PC can easily transcode to TV output on the fly in real time, assuming it is doing this in real time.

It is a bit of overkill, bitrate wise, but it should be simpler than you messing around in the MPEG-2 templates.

Return to posts index

Scott Holt
on Sep 25, 2014 at 2:23:09 am

I have never used XDCAM EX before. I really like to learn so another question. What is it that would make XDCAM better? So, the rendering will be easier on the computer also? Thanks so much for the info.

Return to posts index

Scott Holt
on Sep 25, 2014 at 2:57:32 am

I tried the XDCAM but there seems to be a problem in playback. It gets to be real jerky. I like the render speed though. Maybe there are some settings I need to fix but I have no idea what they would be.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 25, 2014 at 3:09:56 pm

[Scott Holt] "What is it that would make XDCAM better?"

The ease at which it can be transcoded on the fly to some other format, and of course its a high quality spec.

You never specifically mentioned what you school PC was doing but I am guessing it is transcoding the video, in real time, for transmission to the school TV channel.

Return to posts index

Scott Holt
on Sep 25, 2014 at 5:04:08 pm

The computer is actually running a program that is actually just playing Windows Media Player and the video clip we have to play in that time slot. It is just playing what is seen on the monitor. It then goes into a box that our cable company has that then runs into fiber taking it to their main office to send out to cable.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 25, 2014 at 7:54:07 pm

Well, if the PC is not transcoding, then really anything that plays back smoothly on that PC is fine. Let your eyes be the judge as to the quality of your resulting render.

That said, AVC/H.264 will encode smaller at a similar quality compared to mpeg-2 formats. It does not sound like it matters much how small the file is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]