FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for huge documentary

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Gardner
Workflow for huge documentary
on Sep 10, 2014 at 3:34:46 pm

Hi,
I'm working with my first 1:100 long-form documentary. I have over 300 hours of footage, so organizing it will take quite some time.

Usually I organize within the same .veg file and just keep shuffling stuff around. I don't think this will work.

I was disappointed to see that FCP has way more functional bins that can be shuffled and tree'ed out for organizing clips.

What I'm thinking now is that I will nest the projects by doing this:

-Trimming clips down to what I might use and then saving them as their own .veg (for example, I interviewed 10 people with the same question, and I will render a veg file with only their 10 answers to that question on the timeline)

-Importing these topic-masters into the main master, and then tagging/binning them.

I'm planning to start by doing a teaser trailer to familiarize myself with the footage and the workflow, and then go to the long form after that.

I'm also planning to whittle at the footage and trim from 350 hours down to 200>100>50>etc. So I will probably have progressively slimmer masters as I remove more and more of the potential scenes.

Like I said, I've never done this before, and if there's anything that jumps out to people who have, I'd appreciate the feedback.

thanks,
Adjul

Return to posts index

Frank Stevn
Re: Workflow for huge documentary
on Sep 10, 2014 at 9:46:14 pm

I didn't have the need to used them, but I know there are 'Media Bins' in the Project Media Manager.

Check this tutorial: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/devis_andrew/Sony-Vegas-Pro_4/video...

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 11, 2014 at 3:02:20 am

I actually watch my footage outside of Vegas and label clips by name of content, place those in specified folders and tree it out myself. I find that so much easier, because then the tree is not just inside Vegas, but on my computer the same way. That is how I like to do it....

I have had issues with nesting before, and had to end up rendering it out separately and then bring it into the main project anyhow, but nesting as you said would also work.

As you whittle it down, you can also, save a new version with media files trimmed to a new main folder. This CAN be tedious, but with space SO inexpensive these days, it can really be helpful. Especially if you decide you need something that you had decided to not use. If you have the old version, it can be accessed quickly. This will also keep your media size smaller as you go.

Just my two cents..

Good luck!!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Sep 11, 2014 at 3:57:58 am

Hi, you can begin by looking at the project media tab where the bins reside. There you can sort, catalog and add tags to your clips. Tags are very useful for gathering relevant media together without having to rename them externally. Myself when faced with such a task I place each section of the sorted media on the timeline and then save the veg to a folder named for that set and include the media. This way I get copies of the media in a folder that is aptly named for the footage. I repeat this process until all footage is cataloged into separate folders. Take the original and put it in a safe place. From there you can either use the footage from the folders or you can use the nesting method. Some people have nothing but troubles with nesting projects and others swear it's the only way to work on large projects. Myself, I use the nesting method for longer projects.
There are tutorials online at sony creative media that speak to the new features staring with version 11 or 12, sorry I don't recall exactly.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Marcus Gardner
on Sep 12, 2014 at 12:03:16 pm

I'm wondering: is there any sort of external video splitter/labeling/organizing program that people use for cataloging footage? I don't actually need to do anything in vegas until I'm making scenes.
Adjul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]