FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow advice with 5.1 AC3 audio / video editing Vegas Pro 12

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Orlando Diaz
Workflow advice with 5.1 AC3 audio / video editing Vegas Pro 12
on Sep 8, 2014 at 1:39:42 am

I'm not certain if my workflow for home videos with 5.1 surround is entirely correct.
I recently purchased a Zoom H2n audio recorder for its superior fidelity and 4 channel recording capabilities. I use mainly a Panasonic LX7 to record my video.

So after much trial and error I've gotten to a point where I'm not completely sure i'm doing everything correctly.

My current home theater test setup consists of an older Denon digital Dolby/DTS receiver with optical and Coax audio inputs, no HDMI. My TV is a Samsung 42" LCD. My media player is a Segate Freeagent Theater+ connected to TV through HDMI and receiver via optical.

I originally tried rendering my Sony Vegas Pro 12 video project with the Sony AVC/mp4 with 5.1 AAC audio. I found out that my older Denon receiver cannot decode AAC 6 channel audio. I only get 2 ch output from the Denon. So I went the other route and rendered my video seperatly as AVC/mp4 and audio as AC-3 separately. I then merge them with mkvmerge.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet but hoping it works.

The way im editing my audio in Vegas Pro is what i'm most unsure of when doing 5.1 channel editing in Vegas. My audio recorder creates two independent stereo (2ch) tracks, a front and a rear.

1. I place the front stereo track on the Vegas timeline as an audio track and enable only the front R/C/L speakers, disabling the rear speakers in surround panner tool.

2. I place the rear stereo track as another audio track on Vegas timeline and enable only the rear speakers in the surround panner tool, disabling the front.

3. I create my own 120 low pass filter with the Track EQ audio FX for each of the above tracks. Is this necessary?

4. I then create a duplicate of each of the above audio tracks and set them to LFE without any audio FX applied. Is these separate LFE tracks necessary?

Of course I sync all my audio to the video then render Video and audio separate and merge in mkvmerge. I even rendered a separate 2ch audio track and included it in my merged final video to have the option of a stereo audio track for non-surround setups.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Can the newer home theater audio receivers decode 6ch AAC audio?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Workflow advice with 5.1 AC3 audio / video editing Vegas Pro 12
on Sep 8, 2014 at 3:23:27 pm

In regards to the home theater hardware question, you might want to visit http://www.head-fi.org as they have a great user forum that discusses home audio equipment. I've used that site quite a few times before making an audio equipment purchase.

Dave

Return to posts index

Orlando Diaz
on Sep 8, 2014 at 10:56:53 pm

I've done some researching into Onkyo home theater receivers within my price range and I didn't see any that could handle AAC beyond 2ch. I think AC3 is what I'll stick too. I'm still uncertain on my editing method for handling the multiple audio channels and the LFE.

Return to posts index

Orlando Diaz
on Sep 10, 2014 at 6:46:16 pm

Well , my method of rendering the audio as a separate AC3 track then combined with the video in an mkv container worked fine. My media player when set to spdif/raw output provided DD 5.1 audio on my home theater receiver. The secondary 2ch audio track worked as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]