FORUMS: list search recent posts

Neat effect pillarbox open slow reveal how to duplicate please

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jenny gold
Neat effect pillarbox open slow reveal how to duplicate please
on Sep 5, 2014 at 5:47:12 pm
Last Edited By jenny gold on Sep 5, 2014 at 5:51:52 pm

I would like very much to know best way to do this neat film look pillar box effect were the video begins to slowly narrow like watching a movie and pillar box effect

see below video link for you to exactly see what I mean etc two ideas.

I know it is done via key frames
however, be kind to me - this is new to me though using this and sony veagas pro 13 learning curve though !

Please anyone care to indulge me to try and create it and what to do be much appreciated - it's for my mums birthday video put together surprise footage.

many thanks

here is what I want to achieve at 30 seconds in this fuuny but neat video these lads did

also this one at very start of video (the reverse effect of the above lads one )
right form the start it happens :

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Neat effect pillarbox open slow reveal how to duplicate please
on Sep 5, 2014 at 6:07:23 pm

Try using a mask. Mask is in the event pan crop window. Two keyframe mask positions should be enough. In your second example, the mask would start out masking basically everything in the first keyframe and the second keyframe would have the mask not masking anything.

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Sep 5, 2014 at 8:10:27 pm

Thanks Norman never used Masks so no idea really how to even use it and apply such a thing to what you said in reply to me -sorry...it went right over my head.

I never even used key frames I know what they are and can be applied to countless concepts from zoom to effects all sorts of things etc...the two guys video I thought must be easy to do...

****I can get the pillar box look using pan and crop so bars at top and bottom BUT as for it actually automatically opening or closing etc like they using key frames and HOW no idea let alone masks.

Jenny

Jenny gold

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 5, 2014 at 9:49:05 pm

Here is a V13 VEG project file showing the mask operation as described.
7948_maskdemo.veg.zip

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Sep 6, 2014 at 7:12:01 pm

Thanks Norman...I was not sure what to do with your veg file other then open it and yes the fact it is an effect I wanted as such.

So was not really able to use it and know what to even do with it to other than see you applied to some text slow letterbox reveal - but did not teach me HOW to actually go about and do what I wanted -):
(please understand for me literally using Vegas is totally brand new let alone any video editing to me!)

I know you can make the film pillar box look using pan and crop it was more an animated automatic reveal similar to what you did ...

So today I spent some time searching on youtube for the term 'letterbox reveal sony vegas' and eventually someone kind of had something vaguely similar (nothing really out there I could spot) using key frames

so I played and bingo worked it out myself using key frames for letter box animated crop effect and applied ideal timing open and close and applying it to a few split clips then merging with each other ( my first real attempt ever using any key frames!)
and done exactly what I needed ....

so again thanks for trying and reaching out Norman

Jenny gold

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 7, 2014 at 3:43:03 am
Last Edited By Norman Black on Sep 7, 2014 at 3:46:46 am

[jenny gold] "So was not really able to use it and know what to even do with it to other than see you applied to some text slow letterbox reveal - but did not teach me HOW to actually go about and do what I wanted -):"

I assume you opened the pan/crop window for the event as previously described. Masking is controlled in the pan crop window. You should see "mask" in the keyframe timeline of the pan crop window. IN the keyframe timeline you should see the keyframes I created. Click them. Then you will see the masks associated with the keyframes and how the two mask shapes are different and how that is giving the effect desired. If it is not obvious enough how you create mask elements then...

Here is a link to some masking help topics in the Vegas help file. This is a web link, but it is the same as the Vegas help file installed on your machine and available via the Help menu (F1).

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/webhelp/vegaspro/13/ENU/index.htm#PanCr...

I found this topic by entering "mask" into the help index and looking at the topics it lists.

The Vegas help is quite good. Learn to use it to learn how to do things.

Chapter 12 in the Vegas manual also has information. Mostly the same as the help file but there are differences.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]