FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chroma-key only a part of the screen

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joaquín Muñiz
Chroma-key only a part of the screen
on Aug 31, 2014 at 12:39:18 am

I recorded myself in front of a green screen. The thing is that, when I try to cut it out using Chroma key, a part of the screen (precisely a darker green generated by my own shadow) is not cut out. If I apply a second chroma key for that color, it also deletes my hair.
As the part I'm trying to get rid of is in the lower part of the screen, my idea was to apply chroma-key only to a selected rectangle or something like that. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Chroma-key only a part of the screen
on Aug 31, 2014 at 4:48:05 am

[Joaquín Muñiz] "If I apply a second chroma key for that color, it also deletes my hair."
Sure, I understand, but you may find out that even doing what you are asking, you may not be pleased with the result. Meaning, it may just be better to start over with more UNIFORM lighting.
[Joaquín Muñiz] "As the part I'm trying to get rid of is in the lower part of the screen, my idea was to apply chroma-key only to a selected rectangle or something like that. Is there a way to do this?"You can "stack" effects using more Tracks. I have not done this. However there is a way since in VP12 to use a MASK that can have FXs, here that's your CHROMA KEY, restricted to that Mask.
Again, the end result may NOT be the result you wish, and that a re-do of your lighting scheme gets you what you want. And that I HAVE done! It all depends on the amount of compromise you are willing to accept?

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 31, 2014 at 8:43:44 pm

[Joaquín Muñiz] "The thing is that, when I try to cut it out using Chroma key, a part of the screen (precisely a darker green generated by my own shadow) is not cut out. If I apply a second chroma key for that color, it also deletes my hair."
I agree with Graham that part of learning how to use Chroma Key is how to "shoot" for Chroma Key so my recommendations is also to re-shoot the scene with even lighting.

If that is not possible or desirable, I would add the Color Corrector (Secondary) to the event BEFORE the Chroma Key and sample the dark green and changes it's color to match the rest of the green screen. In effect, correcting for the poor lighting before you chroma key.
[Joaquín Muñiz] "As the part I'm trying to get rid of is in the lower part of the screen, my idea was to apply chroma-key only to a selected rectangle or something like that. Is there a way to do this?"
Click on Pan/Crop in the FX Windows. Check the Mask to turn it on and draw as Mask around the area you want to effect. Then open the Mask parameter on the left and change Apply to FX to Yes.

Like this:

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 31, 2014 at 8:59:30 pm

John, excellent "support" material. This should be essential reading for budding chroma-keyers.

Cheers

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]