FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Transparant Text

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Hay
Multiple Transparant Text
on Aug 28, 2014 at 5:11:54 pm

Hi, I was working on a project a few week ago and ended up loosing the file due to my PC having blue screen and I had to start from scratch. I know this works but I just cant remember how I did it exactly, any help would be much appreciated.

On the bottom track I have a video. All the tracks above this have text which is black around the text and then you can see through the text and see the video which is behind it. The problem I have is that I can only get this to work with one track. If I try and add text on different tracks it dosent have the same effect and then ends up blacking out everything.

This is what I have so far - http://gyazo.com/904e3d983bdfebf02206e8b67b810484

As you can see here I add another track with some text and instead of it allowing me to move the text anywhere,(so I could have them next to each other) it is only visible in the middle http://gyazo.com/4c1d978dbae205bd371c0877fccc758c

Thanks for your time and I hope I can find the way how to do this because its very fustrating already doing this once and then forgetting how to do it and struggling!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Multiple Transparant Text
on Aug 29, 2014 at 3:09:25 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Aug 29, 2014 at 3:15:20 pm

Using Legacy text, moving the text around the screen in done with the placement tab in the Text effect.

The text on track one will not show your base video on track 3. You have given little information, but it looks like text events with transparent for the text color and black for the background. The text on track one is going to see nothing but black, and not the video on track three, everywhere except where the track 2 text exists.

If this is what you want, then maybe something like this, using the composite parent/child features. The video is duplicated on a couple of tracks and each text event masks the video of the video track beneath it, which is a composite child. You can click the image to see something bigger.

Return to posts index

Ashley Hay
on Aug 29, 2014 at 7:37:57 pm

Yes that's exactly want I want to do but last time I did this I didn't have to have keep duplicating the background track every time I wanted to put text down.

All I remember doing last time is putting the background on the bottom track and having around 4/5 tracks above that track with text, I remember using the Child & Parent features to make it work. I just cannot remember how I did it but it worked just fine without having to keep duplicating the background track.

Thanks for your help so far

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Aug 30, 2014 at 12:25:15 am
Last Edited By Norman Black on Aug 30, 2014 at 12:42:42 am

Try this.

Track 1 and 2 text are white on black. Track 2 a child of 1. Track 1 composite mode is "add". This combines both text into a single item. White text on black. Parent composite mode on track 1 is "multiply (mask)". This makes the text transparent.

Here is a nice article on transparent text masking
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/creating_masking_tracks_in_vegas

Return to posts index

Ashley Hay
on Aug 30, 2014 at 2:45:12 am

After following what you have just showed me, if I tried doing more than two text tracks the black background started to overlap on the text so I took the black background off the text, Then removed the "Add" on Track 1 and made the parent composite mode "Multiply mask" and everything worked like last time. Every time I add an extra track now I just always make the top track the Parent track.

Here is how I wanted it to be - http://gyazo.com/f00ef12c5997aa2afcca600d2d45bd07

I really appreciate your time taken to help me solve this problem I had.

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Aug 30, 2014 at 4:51:34 am

Excellent. I enjoyed trying to figure this out. I learned something.

The one thing about the multiple track method is that you end up with the black background. In Protype titler, or NewBlue titler you can have multiple independently controllable text blocks in one event. With this you can use the normal/obvious technique described in the article I linked. With that you get video showing through text and everything else transparent so you can have any background you want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]