FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create a 3D file without 3D camera?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gregory
Create a 3D file without 3D camera?
on Aug 25, 2014 at 7:54:54 am

I was wondering if it's possible to create a 3D file without the use of a dedicated 3D camera? The reason that I ask is because a friend recently bought a new Sony 4K TV that can display 3D.

I don't know enough about this to know if my thought process is faulty nor not. Both my friend & I have identical Sony HD camcorders that shoot 1920x1080 as well as being able to shoot 12MP stills.

If we were to attached the 2 cameras to a board using the tripod mount & the cameras were set a certain distance apart we should at least be able to shoot. The 2 similar images would certainly have enough resolution for even a 4K slide show if Vegas could create the appropriate file providing that there are other steps necessary for his sort of project that I'm unaware off.

Is this a crazy idea or not?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
Re: Create a 3D file without 3D camera?
on Aug 26, 2014 at 4:28:44 am

That's how 3D was first produced. You need to get the lenses as close to eyeball distance from each other or you will just make the viewer ill.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Aug 26, 2014 at 4:46:25 am

I'm aware that some early 3D was made that way but I guess what I really want to know is if we captured 2 almost identical videos as described, whether or not the files could be edited in Vegas as is or is there some other steps that also must be undertaken to achieve a usable 3D video file.

Not having ever done this I'm guessing that both video files will need to be cropped a little bit otherwise details from 3D would be missing for the edges.

If Vegas can produce a usable 3D file this way could it be viewed an any 3D TV?

I have noticed that 3D TV's either use an active or passive system that require different types of glasses. Some have all of the depth displayed behind the screen yet other TV's can display images that start at the screen & can come out towards you.

I have even heard of people taking 2 identical still cameras & mounting them in the same manner onto a tripod. The 2 files then use some freeware software to add 2 different color filters t0 the files & the merged file can be viewed by wearing cheap glasses tinted with 2 colors.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Aug 26, 2014 at 4:11:03 pm

Your problem is going to be the lenses. All of the movie productions use prime lenses with a fixed focal length. It would be impossible to get two identical cameras with zoom lenses to be anywhere near in sync anywhere but zoomed all the way out wide.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:52:21 am

[Paul Gregory] "I'm aware that some early 3D was made that way but I guess what I really want to know is if we captured 2 almost identical videos as described, whether or not the files could be edited in Vegas as is or is there some other steps that also must be undertaken to achieve a usable 3D video file."
Yes. If you could capture 2 almost identical videos as described, you can tell Vegas Pro that they Left and Right eye images and they will display and edit in 3D in Vegas Pro.

The problem, as Stephen is trying to explain, is that you cannot shoot these images because the lenses need to be about 2 inches apart which means the video cameras would need to be less that 1 inch wide (side-by-side). The 3D dual camera systems have a special rig that used mirrors to get the lenses that close together while the cameras remained further apart.

You would have better luck using a single camera with something like a Panasonic VW-CLT2 3D Conversion Lens.

This would split a single image into left and right eye images that Vegas can then edit.
[Paul Gregory] "If Vegas can produce a usable 3D file this way could it be viewed an any 3D TV?"
Vegas can and it depends on the 3D TV. There is no such thing as "any 3D TV". You have to match the format to the technology that the TV uses.
[Paul Gregory] "I have noticed that 3D TV's either use an active or passive system that require different types of glasses. Some have all of the depth displayed behind the screen yet other TV's can display images that start at the screen & can come out towards you."
Now you are starting to appreciate the depth of the problem. There are several 3D standards and you have to use the same one that your 3D TV uses. One way is to render your clip using the Sony AVC/MVC in Stereoscopic 3D mode and burn it to Blu-ray and buy a 3D Blu-ray player. The description on the Panasonic VW-CLT2 3D Conversion Lens seems to suggest that a 3D TV can play the AVCHD 3D files produced by this lens. I have no personal experience with it to say as I don't own a 3D TV or the lens.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]