FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas 13 Is Automatically "Brightening" My Videos?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Michaels
Sony Vegas 13 Is Automatically "Brightening" My Videos?
on Aug 25, 2014 at 5:17:33 am

It's really that simple. I remember doing a video not long ago that was intentionally shot at night. Vegas brought out details in the darker parts of the video, but it added so much brightness, that I lost what I was going for.

And a similar thing is happening to me now, but this was shot in the day. When viewing the file within Windows Media Player, as well as VLC, the video looks fine. Colors look pretty good, considering the camera(s) I used. But then, after adding it into the timeline, the colors are washed out, and the video is visibly "brighter". I believe bringing out darker details adds noise to the video, correct? That seems to be the main issue.

I'm getting a bit more into video work (not professionally, but...) and I want to just look a little more professional overall. It's hard to do that when my editing software just does whatever it wants to do! Is there perhaps some kind of "automatically brighten video" option that I missed, or something? Why would Vegas just do this on it's own, without having a visible option asking for permission, if that makes sense?

Thanks to any of you who can help me! It is so much appreciated!

Oh, and as a side note... If I want my main video in "fullscreen", and then I want to have a smaller video in the "corner", how can I zoom that small corner video in? The "zoom" that I need, engulfs the rest of the video! I guess what I'm looking to do, is to enlarge it, and then "trim" off the obstructions, and then just use that blown up image in the same form factor that it was previously? I'm going to have to apologize in advance for my poor articulation of what I'm trying to do! :)

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Sony Vegas 13 Is Automatically "Brightening" My Videos?
on Aug 25, 2014 at 6:46:06 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Aug 25, 2014 at 7:44:55 am

O...K..

You have 2 questions:-

1] Your brightness thing - this is about the way Vegas Pro deals with the LEVELS of the imported Media

. .and . .

2] Zooming in a new MEDIA to FILL previous MEDIA Event

1] Vegas Levels: Vegas Pro accepts the Levels that your media provides and presents it with an AS IS approach. Other "readers" of the same media will auto-level correct your media. There has been much discussion about the pros and cons of each of these approaches, but Vegas allows us to see our work as it was captured. Now, this can mean that the "new" user says - "Eh? My Media is BLOWN or BRIGHTER!". But what all Vegas is doing is showing you the FULL Levels story, with no interference (?). Please believe me when I say there have been flame wars over these PRO's and CONs - I just keep my head down and learn and read and move on.

The SOLUTION is to become knowledgeable and savvy as to what you want to finally do with your work.

OK, open the SONY Levels and apply it, and experiment with the "ComputerRGB TO StudioRGB" Preset and the obverse of this the "StudioRGB to ComputerRGB" Preset. Do this WITH the Video Scope Tools and you'll see immediately what I mean and the Levels Shift you are talking about. And get back here with your additional questions - you WILL have them!!

2] Zooming About the Place! Is this what you want?

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Brandon Michaels
on Aug 26, 2014 at 5:14:23 am

I really do appreciate your reply, Graham!

The Sony Levels thing looks to be what I'm looking for. I think. I'll check it out!

As for my second question... We're getting closer, but that's not quite what I mean. Actually, I have a great example of what I'm looking for.

Go to a little before 4:00. He is shooting a target with a separate camera. He has the target cam's video in the bottom corner. Suppose I didn't have the camera close enough for that small square to stand out much. Would there be any way to "zoom" the video, without actually making the square larger? I guess I'm looking to crop the video, I suppose?

Like I said, if I really knew what I was talking about, I could articulate better!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 26, 2014 at 7:43:17 am

[Brandon Michaels] "Would there be any way to "zoom" the video, without actually making the square larger? I guess I'm looking to crop the video, I suppose?"
Ah, righto! Yes plenty of ways. My mistake was to assume that the "zoom in" part was an "active" zoom, but rather you wanted to apply the process of zooming into a picture and THEN use a STATIC result of that ZOOMing-in, going from W/A to TELE. - Gotcha!

Try this, in Pan/Crop:

1] ZOOM in, to get more of closeup you wanted.

2] Set "Stretch To Fill" = NO

3] In the Track Header use Track Motion to get the positional within the Preview Frame.

You should have Camera 2 in the Corner you wanted and zoomed-in.

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Brandon Michaels
on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:06:23 pm
Last Edited By Brandon Michaels on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:07:39 pm

Yes! It worked!! Thank you!

Except... I've run into a new problem...

But I think I can snapshot it and show you.

In this snapshot of Vegas' preview, everything looks fine. Just how I'd like the render to look.

Uh... Did I mention I was using Vegas Pro 13?

But here, after the render, I get this mess.

I changed some audio settings, and I changed the pixels/resolution to 1920x1080, from 1440x1080... I guess maybe it's using the pixels as aspect ratio? Maybe I answered my own question... Hm...

Is there any way to "override" this from happening, and to render ONLY what I see in the preview window? Grr... This is kind of frustrating. :P

Return to posts index

Brandon Michaels
on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:23:51 pm

OK, I know I'm being difficult. But having an 8-core processor really speeds these things up!

I rendered at 720p, or 1280x720, to be more specific. To my knowledge, that is the "true" ratio/resolution of 720p 16:9 video, I would think?

That is the resolution that I recorded in on the main rear camera. Problem is, I wanted to upscale to 1080p Youtube basically limits bitrate according to resolution, so if I upscale a 720p video to 1080p, it actually matches closely to original bitrate and will just look batter overall. But it's being difficult and not wanting to render in 1080p. Instead, I get those oddities as shown above...

Unless I'm not using the "true" 16:9 1080p resolution, as I did with the 720p above... This is all confusing me. I'll try to get this ironed out, but if you do read this Graham, a little guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you for all your help so far!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:39:59 pm

Brandon you're welcome.

OK, I think I'd like to share you out to others now . . . And yes, somewhere amongst your changes you've introduced some PAR that is clashing with what you had. Word to the wise here: Vegas attempts to show you/me/us what we've done - it ain't too good at telling us where we've fallen down. For this you need to be vigilant and patient with both yourself AND Vegas.

As I said, I welcome our buddies here to jump in here - if you don't mind?

Glad I was able to assist in some small way . . .

Grazie

Return to posts index

Brandon Michaels
on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:50:02 pm

No, I don't mind at all!

I see, that does make sense. Again, thank you so much for your continued patience!

Return to posts index

Brandon Michaels
on Aug 27, 2014 at 12:08:13 am

Alright, I figured it out, so I think it's definitely worth reporting back here...

This is more for anyone who, by chance, happens upon this forum post in need of a solution for the problem I showed in the above screenshots.

The simplest way I've found, to fix that oddity with the messed up aspect ratio is...

When you pick Render As, pick your format. I'm using WMV. You will come across a bunch of different presets. 512kbps, up to like, 8 mbps. Pick whatever bitrate you want, though for youtube, it will be heavily compressed, so unless you want a better copy for yourself, go ahead and choose maybe 6, or something like it. I still opted for 8Mbps, for my own tastes.

Then, customize it. Right underneath. A new window opens.

There's an audio and video tab, etc. Under Video, next to resolution, you will see "Pixel Aspect Ratio". My 720p presets were set to 1.000 (Square). However, another had it set to 1.333 (HD). If you are experiencing the jacked up aspect ratio I was, simply change that to "1.000 (Square)".

Hope that helped someone out there. :P

Return to posts index

Brandon Michaels
on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:05:35 am
Last Edited By Brandon Michaels on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:07:06 am

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]