FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas importing files in 'wierd' order

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Harvey
Sony Vegas importing files in 'wierd' order
on Aug 23, 2014 at 7:53:00 pm

Hey all,

so im in SV9 and when i go to import my uncompressed AVI files, this happens...

I need to find a way for SV to read the files in alphanumerical order i.e. Video, Video-2, Video-3 because of not mt files will be all over the place and as an editor that'll p*ss me off. lol

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Sony Vegas importing files in 'wierd' order
on Aug 23, 2014 at 9:17:07 pm

[Marcus Harvey] "I need to find a way for SV to read the files in alphanumerical order i.e. Video, Video-2, Video-3"
Computers don't use alphanumerical order when dealing with file names; they use alphabetic order because file names are just strings of characters. If you want your files to be imported in alphanumerical order then you need to actually rename them in an alphabetic order that simulates alphanumerical order. Given the files 8, 9, 10 the correct alphabetic order is 10, 8, 9, because 1 is less than 8 and 8 is less than 9. If you want 8, 9, 10 in the order a human would interpret them as alphanumerical you need to rename them, 08, 09, 10 because 0 is less than 1 so all of the files beginning with 0 would come before all of the files beginning with 1.

In your example, you need to rename your files "Video-00.avi", "Video-01.avi", "Video-02.avi"... "Video-09.avi", "Video-10.avi", "Video-11.avi", etc. This has nothing to do with Vegas Pro and everything to do with how computers order file names alphabetically. Look at any digital camera and you'll see lots of zeros padding the numbers in the image names. This is why!

I recommend you get a batch rename program to help you get your file names in the correct order. I use the Bulk Rename Utility when on Windows and Rename when on Mac.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]