<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jenny gold
confused with project settings and render settings
on Aug 18, 2014 at 5:16:02 pm

I am a bit confused with project settings and render settings

ok so my video camera is set to 30p and 1920x1080

when I bring it into vegas pro it can see it as project info:
HD 1080-60i (1920x1080, 29.970 fps)

If I go to Project setting and match media video settings and point to the video it come as template to use HD 1080-60i (1920x1080, 29.970 fps)

Hence I am confused where is 60i come from?

Should I ignore that and choose the HDV 720 30p template for project settings as I final render to that.

does it maatter whether I choose for project setting the one it suggested template or choose my own and as said the HDV 720 30p?

many thanks!
Jenny

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: confused with project settings and render settings
on Aug 18, 2014 at 5:58:52 pm

Some cameras encode 30p as 60i interlaced. Is your camera AVCHD? A MediaInfo report would be nice.

If the camera does encode 30p as 60i, you need to have your deinterlace setting correct, and you can always safely use Blend deinterlace in this circumstance. Also, if your camera is in this mode you can probably safely use 30p(29.97) for your project setting.

Generally, it is best to keep your project setting the same as your media for smoothest editing. There is nothing wrong with setting your project to your only intended final render, in this case 720. But then, why film at 1080 when all you ever what is 720?

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Aug 18, 2014 at 9:37:06 pm

Hi Norman newbie to all this so need to talk in pure 16 year old non techie Jargon )-:

Firstly I 'd like to learn more and understand you asked
why film at 1080 when all you ever what is 720?

My stuff is for youtube and web sites and on my camera I select either MXP or FXP they record at 1920 x 1080 while all of the other formats XP sp and LP record in 1440 x 1080.
Norman are you saying choose in my case choose XP setting is good enough?
(sorry newbie to all this)

****Canon's HF-S10 manual is useless in this respect, as it says ZERO about the different video quality settings, except that they are an option, and the higher settings eat more media space.

See I thought the better quality you shoot (i.e. MXP or FXP in my case) then bring into video editing by the time it is done compressed etc even though I select as render 720 it will be high quality due to the orginal footage was shoot at high setting?

ok about project settings and my camera

yes camera is AVCHD and gives you mts files

You said:
If the camera does encode 30p as 60i, you need to have your deinterlace setting correct, and you can always safely use Blend deinterlace in this circumstance.

***I PRESUME THAT IS A SETTING IN THE PROPERTIES PROJECT box to do this you mean? ***

If so which one do I choose under vegas pro 13 it has an option called deinterlace method and a drop down menu of 3 options:

none, interpolate or Blend fields

What should I select please?
and any other things to do while on the Project Properties?
For example pixel aspect ratio what setting and Filed order or anything else I should do

NOTE I have a cannon Vixia hfs10 and just read someone also said on sony creative forums they were confused and using sony vegas as it sees 30p setting on properties it shows up as 1080 60i read the thread about this and seems to be 30p being wrapped in 1080i (see this at: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageI...

let me know

many thanks Norman

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Aug 18, 2014 at 10:55:47 pm

Looking at the specs for the HF S10, the 30p mode does encode the file as 60i. Also, it does not have a 720 mode so you are stuck with 1080 even though you only want 720 out.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/high_definition_c...

[jenny gold] "none, interpolate or Blend fields

What should I select please?"

Blend, as previously stated in my previous post.

The easiest thing to do for setting project settings in Vegas is to let Vegas match the project properties to your media. The default is to prompt you on the first media added to the timeline, and there is a button in the project properties window to do this as well.

That will setup the resolution, pixel aspect, field order and frame rate.

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Aug 19, 2014 at 12:54:59 am
Last Edited By jenny gold on Aug 19, 2014 at 1:01:42 am

Great many thanks Norman for quick response good of you and taking the time effort to check out my specific camera

So yes, 720 on my camera not available wow oh well... the so called pocket manual is awful as explained tells you nothing what each setting does just how much space memory they take up for MXP or FXP XP crazy!

final clarify question please Norman:

on my camera settings then

XP+ (12 Mbps)
FXP (17 Mbps)
MXP (24 Mbps

which one shall I choose do you think for web youtube wise?

****By the way***The camera had great reviews for it all over the internet, forums etc virtually no negative feedback countless people loved it and amazing HD footage on youtube etc many showed and peoples blown away comments after seeing it...owners and comments saying way, way ahead of its time footage output wise and such HD quality up there with the consumer pros almost so hence I got it. On researching reviews (many!) at the time - no one mentioned not able to do 720 setting though Hmmm - wow did not spot that!

yes, There was numerous talk about about the 30p recorded as into 60i wrapperr but I recall seemed no big deal by most folk so yes bought it frankly love it and mic external jack plug (it has lots of manual settings as well i.e. white balance, exposure, audio levels, gain etc and down the road will remember next purchase 720 option!

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Aug 19, 2014 at 2:41:22 am

[jenny gold] "XP+ (12 Mbps)
FXP (17 Mbps)
MXP (24 Mbps

which one shall I choose do you think for web youtube wise?"

Without having the camera I cannot have any reasonable opinion. Personally I would stay away from the 1440x1080 anamorphic modes, which leaves FXP and MXP. I would expect either of those to be well more than capable.

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Aug 19, 2014 at 2:58:07 am

Thanks Norman!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]