FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV Capture Problem With Sony DV-HD700

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Shook
HDV Capture Problem With Sony DV-HD700
on Aug 14, 2014 at 7:17:54 pm

Hi Vegasites,

I'm at my wits end and hoping that someone will point out some stupid thing I'm doing wrong, or that I'm trying to do the impossible.

Here's the situation. I'm on a new build computer, decently powerful, with Vegas 11. The computer MOBO has no built in Firewire, so I have a firewire card installed. I'm trying to capture 720p-30 from a JVC pro camera using the Sony DV-HD700, Walkman type DV-HDV deck. Everything works as it should with a 1080i HDV tape. The deck plays the 720p-30 HDV just fine on its own screen, although as near as I can determine it only outputs 1080-60i, so I'm assuming there must be a conversion on firewire output, but haven't found any mention of that assumption anywhere.

After discovering that I had to have the deck turned on and attached by firewire to the computer before turning the computer on and opening Vegas, I've managed to get the deck recognized by Vegas and the transport controls working, but no preview or capture with the 720p-30 tape. The deck will presumably convert HDV to DV on the firewire spigot but I've had no joy with preview and capture when using the DV capture app although again transport works.

Has anyone gotten this deck to work for HDV capture of HDV 720p-30 or am I hosed with this deck and that format? If there's some sort of menu setting(s) on the deck that will solve my problem, I'd really appreciate a heads up. I think that I've tried everything but who knows?

Thanks for bearing with me!

Return to posts index

mark thompson
Re: HDV Capture Problem With Sony DV-HD700
on Aug 14, 2014 at 10:20:56 pm

Hi,
probably not what you want to hear but on the specification on for the GV-HD700 is the line: NOTE: 720/30p cannot be played back via i.LINK/IEEE 1394 interface.

Does your camera have a fire-wire connection, perhaps go direct?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 15, 2014 at 11:55:09 am

Mark is correct, a direct firewire connection to your camera would be ideal!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Aug 15, 2014 at 6:45:21 pm

Mark & Steve,

Thanks ever so much for your definative responses. I'm not sure how I missed that spec note and sure, It's not what I wanted to hear, but knowing I have to adapt is a whole lot better than continuing to waste my time trying to get something to happen that is impossible.

Both the Sony DV-HD100 deck and the JVC GY-HD100 camera were purchased used a year+ ago without documentation. Until I get it fixed the camera records just fine, but won't play back, so that isn't an immediate option for capture. I have to get this project out. Fortunately it's just for DVD, so as I type I am capturing analog AV from the deck to a converter which spits out firewire to the computer.

There's usually another way if you've been in this business long enough and have mostly obsolete stuff setting around. BTW, shortly after I recorded these tapes on the JVC Camera, I got a Sony NX30 camera which is the spiffiest little device I've ever had. It's not impressive on the outside, but mostly it's "good enough," even for broadcast if necessary. The active stabilization and image processing are phenomenal. I've been enduring videotape for 45 years and am so happy to go to file and card based recording that I can't express my joy adequately. (grin)

Thanks again,

Ron Shook
Shoulder-High Eye Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 15, 2014 at 10:36:02 pm

Yes, Card based acquisition is way more easier and better in tons of ways.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]