FORUMS: list search recent posts

12 bit & 16 bit color

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gregory
12 bit & 16 bit color
on Aug 14, 2014 at 12:45:44 am

I have been capturing some old video for a friend. I notice that some is 12 bit color & some 16 bit color. I assume that Vegas can handle either. If I recall correctly the 16 bit can handle slightly more subtle colors & possibly has a smaller file size. In any event I assume that I gets rendered out as 16 bit & that any Pal template should do?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: 12 bit & 16 bit color
on Aug 15, 2014 at 1:01:52 am

Virtually all Vegas outputs are 8-bit color. A few are 1-bit. Best specific.

Vegas only edit beyond 8-bit color when you use 32-bit edit modes. Otherwise everything is converted to 8-bit when read.

You said "capture". What does this mean. Capturing old analog video to digital or reading digital in. I double you have any digital camera that captures beyond 10-bit color. That is a relatively new thing. What exactly do you mean by 12-bit and 16-bit color. Please be specific. Vegas will list some files as 12-bit, but that is 12-bits per pixel which take into account color sub-sampling. 12-bits per pixel is not 12-bit color.

As for analog video, there is no such definition for the number of bits of color resolution.

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Aug 15, 2014 at 1:27:16 am

I'm using Vegas capture to record directly onto the timeline using fire wire connected to a camcorder that recorded onto mini DV. I have the preview turned off but if I look through cameras viewfinder I can see either 12 or 16 bit superimposed onto the picture thats playing.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Aug 15, 2014 at 3:06:45 am

DV and DVCPRO HD are 8-bits per color.
Audio is supported at 16-bit stereo 48Khz or 4 channel 12-bit 32Khz.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Aug 15, 2014 at 3:20:58 am

That's your audio bandwidth. In DV you could record 2-channels at 16-bit (48K) or 4-channels in 12-bit (32K). Very few cameras supported the ability to record 4 audio channels.

In my Sony DV cameras it's in the "Audio Mode" menu.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]