Does Vegasaur do this? Destructive Trim/tidy up big project

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Merrill
Does Vegasaur do this? Destructive Trim/tidy up big project
on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:01:49 pm

Because of the 50 percent off sale, I wrote this email to them:

Hello,

I am very interested in purchasing for a particular reason - I have numerous clips I have edited from larger files in Vegas.

I want to be able to send the project to someone, but when I do a

-save as....
-copy all media files
-trim files (with 2 seconds before and after

it does NOT trim the files as the files are mp4 and mov, which vegas won't trim. So it just copies all the files to another folder.

Does vegasaur have some kind of automatic/batch utility whereupon I could either:

1. Destructively trim files (so that edits I made in vegas would be come the only actual pieces of the video that would exist on the hard drive)

example: so, if I have 5 video files I'm working on of 5 gigabytes each, that would be a 25 gigabyte project. If I split/edit the files in vegas, each file is STILL 5 gigabytes, but it is just referencing that one part. What I would like is to be able to destructively trim the file so that the part that is referenced in vegas is the only one that exists.

2. Convert files IN the timeline. So I could unify and convert all of the files into one format, ideally a format that Vegas will trim for me.

option 1 is the preferred option.

Please let me know if this is something I can do. My trial expired and I didn't have a chance to try this.

thank you.

----

anyone here have any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Does Vegasaur do this? Destructive Trim/tidy up big project
on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:12:06 pm

Jason? I have no idea what you're asking for. Sorry.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Jason Merrill
on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:21:07 pm
Last Edited By Jason Merrill on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:23:42 pm

I want to make it so that,

instead of referencing those massive (4gb) files

I can trim the project so that what is showing are the only actual files that exist.

So it would automatically trim each file down from 4gb, to say, 200MB, because the vegas file is only actually USING 200MB worth of footage (in that edit)

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:48:10 pm

You/I/we don't trim a Project. We Edit the Events in Vegas Pro and Render. That's it!

OK, Vegas had Batch render. What you want to do is done hourly by Vegas users.

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:50:55 pm

Hold on! You want to SAVE the project with the underlying TRIMMED media. Yes?

G

Return to posts index

Jason Merrill
on Aug 11, 2014 at 7:00:24 pm

yes but I cannot do that since my files are mp4s and movs. So I need some way to automate the process of doing the opposite, and also: I need to find a file format that won't lose too much quality but won't also be SUPERMASSIVE (uncompressed AVI is huuuuuge)

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 11, 2014 at 7:15:13 pm

Do you fancy this,

This from the HELP File:

◾Select the Create trimmed copies of source media radio button and enter a value in the Extra head and tail box to reduce the number and size of media files necessary to represent your project.

Your project will be scanned to determine how much of each media file is being used and those regions will be rendered to new media files. The amount of time specified in the Extra head and tail setting will be added before and after the media file to allow subsequent edits. All events are then updated to point to the new files. Finally, inactive takes are removed from the project, and the project is saved.

Nearly there . . !

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Aug 11, 2014 at 8:29:47 pm

Jason, I don't know about the other kids and the results they get but for me the create trimmed versions feature has not worked since the DV days. All I can suggest is to place regions on the timeline, then under scripting do a batch render to your fav codec. I would suggest something with as little recompression as possible. Then of coarse you have to re link the files so be sure to name the regions on the time line to something appropriate. There are programs or scripts that will help but most are not free. Have a look at Ultimate S Pro by Vasst tools. It contains many useful scripts to assist in these mundane procedures.

Return to posts index

Jason Merrill
on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:01:29 pm

doesn't work with anything except certain AVI formats.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 12, 2014 at 6:42:17 am

Nope - no luck here either.

Grazie

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 11, 2014 at 10:52:06 pm

[Jason Merrill] "2. Convert files IN the timeline. So I could unify and convert all of the files into one format, ideally a format that Vegas will trim for me. "
Using the Timeline option, VASST GearShift will allow you you to convert just the events that are on the timeline to a format that's idea for editing. There is a fully functional 15-day free trial so download it and see if it works for you.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Jason Merrill
on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:27:55 pm

what is a good format to convert to which won't lose me too much quality and yet be "Trimmable? """

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 12, 2014 at 3:54:35 pm

[Jason Merrill] "what is a good format to convert to which won't lose me too much quality and yet be "Trimmable? """"
Check the Sony documentation:

You can trim DV AVI, uncompressed AVI, and Sony YUV AVI files

~jr

Return to posts index

Jason Merrill
on Aug 12, 2014 at 3:58:07 pm

right, but I am also looking into not making them SUPERMASSIVE in the process. I took up about 400 gigs doing uncompressed AVI alone...

is there a format which would be just a little better than what I'm using? and how would I determine that?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 12, 2014 at 4:17:02 pm

[Jason Merrill] "is there a format which would be just a little better than what I'm using? and how would I determine that?"
No, not one that supports trimming in Vegas Pro.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]