FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Proxy creation extremely slow

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tommy Reed
Video Proxy creation extremely slow
on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:16:45 am

Hello all

I'm trying to create a multicam video for PC gameplay. So far, I've created three projects with one camera each (containing one big video, the other player's video as a small window, some text overlay and some effects) and loaded the projects into one final project to create the actual multicam video with take cuts and the such. Syncing the projects worked very well (another reason why I like Vegas so much), but I'm running into a problem.

My computer is a fairly good one; I'm running Windows 8.1 x64 on an i7 4770 @3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, two SSDs for software and videos and two GTX-770s in SLI for the games. Yet previewing the videos in multicam editing mode is excruciatingly slow and laggy, even on very low quality settings. I can't go below Preview Half because I won't be able to recognize the actual happenings anymore. Therefore, I tried to use SV13's video proxy creation feature. Creating a proxy for even one of the subprojects is extremely slow and seems to take longer than actually rendering a video. I don't know about the quality settings Vegas uses for proxy creation, but like this, it's unusable. After around 2 hours of proxy rendering, I'm still on the first of three projects and only on 19%. I tried Vegasaur, but it too seemed very slow.

Am I doing something wrong? I tried disabling interlacing in the project preferences, yet nothing yields any good results. I can't wait a day for my computer to simply render proxy files so I can actually edit the final video without preview lag...

Can anyone help?

Thank you :)

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Video Proxy creation extremely slow
on Aug 11, 2014 at 2:05:46 pm

[Tommy Reed] " I'm running... two GTX-770s in SLI for the games. Yet previewing the videos in multicam editing mode is excruciatingly slow and laggy, even on very low quality settings"
Vegas Pro cannot take full advantage of the GTX-770 which I assume is your problem. If you have GPU Acceleration turned on, try turning it off and seeing if your CPU does a better job. You should turn it off under Options | Preferences | Video and restart Vegas Pro. That might help playback.

Also make sure that your project properties match your video properties exactly. For example, if you captured your video at 60fps but your project is 30 fps you will get laggy playback as Vegas Pro tries to convert the frame rates on-the-fly during playback. Set Vegas Pro to match your footage for the best playback experience.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Tommy Reed
on Aug 11, 2014 at 3:03:34 pm

Hello John, thanks for the reply.

As far as I could see, all settings were correct. I changed to CPU only and it seems to be slightly faster, but still way too slow. I had to go down all the way to Draft Half to get like 3 fps (!!) so I can at least guess what's happening ... this is pretty unacceptable. Any other settings I could adjust? The source files seem to be mp4 (as encoded by nVidia Shadowplay).

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 11, 2014 at 3:40:00 pm

[Tommy Reed] "Any other settings I could adjust? The source files seem to be mp4 (as encoded by nVidia Shadowplay)."
You can try converting the source to M-JPEG which should edit a lot smoother. You can do this with a free utility like AviDemux 2.5:

~jr

Return to posts index

Tommy Reed
on Aug 11, 2014 at 3:46:44 pm

Hey John, thanks again.

I assume I won't have any quality loss if I convert the videos first?

I thought about actually rendering the subprojects first (the complete timeline), leaving them at like 720x405 or even a little bit smaller with a low bitrate, then using the "Replace" function in the project material viewer for the time of editing. Before I render the final version I'll just use the "Replace" function again and choose the subprojects. Like this, I assume the project will keep the original settings such as resolution, but editing should be faster and smoother. Would that work too?

Norman, thanks for the reply - where can I turn thumbnailing off?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 11, 2014 at 4:43:55 pm

[Tommy Reed] "I assume I won't have any quality loss if I convert the videos first?"
Technically you will have some loss with M-JPEG. Whether you will notice it or not is another thing. If you want absolutely, positively no loss then you need to use something line the Lagarith Lossless Video Codec. This will produce much larger files but there will be no loss. Use can still use AviDemux 2.5 with Lagarith as well but you have to download and install the codec yourself.

I would try both and if the M-JPEG looks OK to you, I would use that because the files will be smaller and edit easier.
[Tommy Reed] "Before I render the final version I'll just use the "Replace" function again and choose the subprojects. Like this, I assume the project will keep the original settings such as resolution, but editing should be faster and smoother. Would that work too?"
That should work as well. Just make sure that your proxy files are the same same aspect ratio as the original source video so that what you see during edit is what you get in the final render.

~jr

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Aug 11, 2014 at 2:47:17 pm

Some information about your source video files might help? A MediaInfo report would be nice.

The Vegas smart proxy is XDCAM EX and renders at max quality. Vegasaur can render smart proxies using whatever template you want and this can help. I have done this with GoPro 1080p60 source files in the past.

You CPU is plenty fast enough. Same one I have. I have only experimented with the Vegas multi-cam edit mode a little but 4 GoPro 1080p30 files, preview auto, was smooth. Turning thumbnailing off keeps things smooth when you make edit cut in multi-cam mode.

Return to posts index

David Norman
on Aug 13, 2014 at 4:15:06 am

the 4770 is a good gaming CPU but really it isnt all that powerful for video editing. I was using a 3770 and recently went to a 3930k for the extra 2 cores and I have been temped by one of the Xeon 12 core CPUs....

really multicam editing just requires more CPU power if you want to view the content in decent quality or render it in less than a day

Dell XPS 15" 9350 i7, 512gb SSD, Nvidia 750m
Intel i7 3930K, R9 290, 32gb, 2xRAID0 Intel 240gb SSD, 2x2TB WD Green, 3x23" Samsung LCDs
http://youtube.com/adidas4275

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]