FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Formats

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joao Souza
Video Formats
on Aug 9, 2014 at 3:15:34 am

Googleing gave me a thousand different replies and opinions so I decided to ask it here too.
Is there a "best video format" to work with vegas?
Like a video format that vegas really "like" working with it delivering better results?
Thanks.

We have so much time and so little to do! / Willy Wonka

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Video Formats
on Aug 10, 2014 at 1:03:25 am

It is probably safe to say that the newer versions of Vegas (12 & 13) work very well with most modern formats. Are you more concerned with professional or consumer-type of formats?

My camera shoots AVCHD (24mb/s) and Vegas Pro 12 runs perfectly with my footage. I have never had a system hang, hiccup, error or crash when doing anything in the software. I built my system using the fastest Intel i5 processor at the time (didn't use an i7) due to budget.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 11, 2014 at 2:00:32 pm

[Joao Souza] "Is there a "best video format" to work with vegas?"
The best formats to edit with any NLE are those that use Intraframe compression. These are codecs where every frame is a complete image. The worst formats to use are Inetrframe compression. These are codecs where there is only a complete image (I-Frame) every 15 frames and all of the frames in between are deltas and predictive frames (B-Frames & P-Frames) from the whole frame so that in order to build a single frame, you must first process all of the frames from the last full frame which takes a lot more processing power. We call this collection of frames a Group Of Pictures and you'll hear the term Long GOP format which means they use a long group of pictures just to render a single frame.

Having said that, there are very few formats today that use intraframe compression. DV, M-JPEG, CineForm, Huffvuy, Lararith, Apple ProRes, Avid DNxHD are some formats that edit very easily because they use intraframe compression. Unfortunately, Apple ProRes is not "legally" available on Windows and it and the Avid DNxHD uses a QuickTime container and while Vegas Pro can edit QuickTime files, it does have a limit to how many you can use in a single project so you need to be careful when using QuickTime with Vegas Pro.

MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 are examples of interframe codecs but I've been editing HDV and AVCHD with Vegas Pro without any problems. Both of these use interframe compression but Vegas Pro has adapted well to editing them. (This was not the case when they first came out!) Vegas Pro also loves editing Sony MXF which is high bit rate MPEG-2. If you wanted to convert your footage into something that Vegas Pro will edit easily, convert it to Sony MXF.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Aug 12, 2014 at 6:26:17 am
Last Edited By Joao Souza on Aug 12, 2014 at 6:26:56 am

Thanks for all that info ;)
But I was thinking about formats like avi, mp4, wmv etc, let's say you want to download a youtube video(or, as another example, if a friend sent you a video) then work with vegas, which format vegas will like the most?

We have so much time and so little to do! / Willy Wonka

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 12, 2014 at 12:26:58 pm

[Joao Souza] "But I was thinking about formats like avi, mp4, wmv etc, let's say you want to download a youtube video(or, as another example, if a friend sent you a video) then work with vegas, which format vegas will like the most?"
WMV is the worst. You never want to edit WMV files. AVI is just a container that can contain a multitude of codecs so some are good and some are bad. You never want to edit AVC/H.264 in an AVI file. This includes DivX, Xvid, etc. MP4 should be OK if it's well formed.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]