FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any point in filming at 50fps if burning to Blu-ray?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom ross
Any point in filming at 50fps if burning to Blu-ray?
on Aug 7, 2014 at 5:24:57 pm

Hi All

I would like some advice re fps and Blu-ray.

I recently did a round Scotland trip in my kit car and filmed it with my Gopro mounted on the roll bars to make a Blu-ray record of it.

I will doing a Euro trip in it soon and doing the same thing.

I filmed the last trip at 1080p 50fps as when reading the Gopro forums the consensus seemed to be to film at 50 or 60 fps instead of the usual 25 or 30 fps to make stuff like tree foliage look smoother as it zooms by.

However I believe all Blu-rays record and play at 29fps (unclear on this) so is there any point in filming at 50fps if its only playing back at half this?

Would like to know what you more experienced folk do as I am still new to Vegas and the Gopro.

I would think most stuff I do with the Gopro will be going onto Blu-ray.

Thanks

Tom

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Any point in filming at 50fps if burning to Blu-ray?
on Aug 8, 2014 at 12:16:01 am

If you are targeting Blu-ray, 29.97 NTSC interlaced is the top frame rate.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533

25fps PAL and 29.97fps NTSC tops.

50fps records can give you an ideal 2X SlowMo rate (25fps) at a 50fps record rate. If you are not going to do any SlowMo, the recording at a higher rate does not help, AFAIK when targeting Blu-Ray PAL. Same holds true for 60fps NTSC record and 30fps playback.

Return to posts index

tom ross
on Aug 8, 2014 at 1:18:02 am

Hi Norman

Thanks for that....you have confirmed what I suspected....yes it will be just going to a Bluray for watching a bog standard holiday video in normal time without any slo-mo effects so will record the next trip at just normal 25 or 30 FPS.

Thanks

Tom

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Aug 8, 2014 at 2:14:03 am

I should have qualified by statement to 1080 resolution. 720 can do 50/60p.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 8, 2014 at 3:49:24 pm

You will get more detail for things in motion with a faster shutter speed, so do you need a faster frame rate to get a faster shutter speed?

Return to posts index

tom ross
on Aug 8, 2014 at 4:21:49 pm

Hi Bob

Yes more frames per second for video is the equivalent of a faster shutter speed for stills.

So fast moving objects filmed at 50 FPS will look better than at 25 FPS

particularly if you press pause etc it will look less blurred.

So that's great if watching the original footage at 50fps or uploading it to the web at 50fps BUT since it seems you cant record a bluray at 50fps and 1080p only at 29fps I wondered if there was any advantage at filming at 50fps if only burning to bluray.

The recording time on the micro sd card in the gopro is just the same if you record at 25fps or 50fps so from that point of view filming at 50fps has no disadvantage but I wonder if when rendering it may take Vegas longer to convert 50 fps to bluray's 29 fps than if it was rendering footage at a native 29/30 fps

Will have to do some experimenting me thinks.

Tom

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Aug 9, 2014 at 11:50:10 pm

Please do not misunderstand. Unless the shutter speed on your camera is determined by the frames per second, more frames do NOT produce more detail. More detail is produced by a faster shutter speed since faster shutter speeds help to freeze motion. I have cameras that internally handle any mismatch between frames per second and shutter speed. However, I cannot say that all cameras, including yours, do that. That is why I said that if a faster frames per second causes your camera to use a faster shutter speed, then faster frames per second will produce more detail.

Return to posts index

Andrew Perceleanu
on Aug 22, 2014 at 5:09:42 am

My recording settings on my camcorder are as follows:
REC MODE: highest quality FX
FRAME RATE: 60i

When i created the AVCHD file, it looks fine; when i burned the bluray it looks all messed up, i have a feeling i screwed up the frames

I selected 1980x1080 and 60i because i felt the highest numbers would give me the best quality. But I noticed someone say here that for blurays the highest FPS should be 29. Can that be the reason why my video on the actual bluray looks all distorted?

Return to posts index

Andrew Perceleanu
on Aug 25, 2014 at 5:57:00 pm

Please help :)

I'd like to redo the project but with the corect FPS, I made the assumption that 60 is the best but I was wrong

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]