FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX vs MainConcept

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Graham
XDCAM EX vs MainConcept
on Aug 2, 2014 at 3:13:09 pm
Last Edited By Simon Graham on Aug 3, 2014 at 11:21:23 am

As subject says, which render template is best?

Source bitrate is 60mbps (.mp4) and output is for YouTube.

I would normally use the MC Internet HD, but in terms of rendering time the XDCAM EX is approx. 3x faster!
  • XDCAM EX HQ 1920x1080, 35 Mbps
  • MainConcept Internet HD 1080P

Any thoughts, thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Best Render Template?
on Aug 2, 2014 at 3:44:55 pm

For my YouTube renders I use the Main Concept HD for Internet 1080 and I crank up both the average and maximum bit rates, as well as enable two-pass. My AVCHD footage ends up looking awesome with the above. I don't care about render times.

I advise you to use the search tool and you'll see this has been covered many times, and you'll see most others use the same render settings.

Dave

Return to posts index

Simon Graham
on Aug 2, 2014 at 4:10:14 pm
Last Edited By Simon Graham on Aug 3, 2014 at 1:33:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I have searched all other related threads but none mention the use of XDCAM EX for upload to YouTube.

Render time is very important to me and so using XDCAM EX would be useful with it being 3x faster.

I know MainConcept Internet HD is the recommended template and the bitrate can be increased but as I've said above, render speed is an important factor.

Any advise on the differences between the 2 templates or any negatives as to why I shouldn't use XDCAM EX, excluding the higher bitrate.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 3, 2014 at 2:49:33 pm

[Simon Graham] "Render time is very important to me and so using XDCAM EX would be useful with it being 3x faster."
That's because it's MPEG-2 and not AVC/H.264. Totally different codec. Don't let the .MP4 filetype fool you. It is not MPEG4. It's MPEG2 in an MP4 container.
[Simon Graham] "Any advise on the differences between the 2 templates or any negatives as to why I shouldn't use XDCAM EX, excluding the higher bitrate."
Here is the bottom line with YouTube. No matter what you do, YouTube will re-encode your video. What it's going to look like is anyone's guess because the content of the video is just as much a factor as the codec you use. Upload both formats and determine which looks better to your eyes, then use that. It's really that simple.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]