FORUMS: list search recent posts

Side Chain Compression Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie King
Side Chain Compression Vegas
on Jul 29, 2014 at 3:15:41 pm

Hello Everyone:

I have an audio clip with loud ambient street noise surrounding the dialogue, and although the noise reduction software I am using can completely clean up the noise, I have the experience of the dialogue being affected severely; even if I do it in increments.

I was told that maybe side chain compression might help reduce the background noise some. Does anyone know about side chain compression and using it with Vegas 12?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
Re: Side Chain Compression Vegas
on Jul 29, 2014 at 4:48:34 pm

I would say using a gate may help as well. Set it to where it opens when the speaking occurs and closes when there is just noise. A compressor reduces the dynamic range of the audio, so compression may actually increase the noise level, this is without hearing the sound itself of course....

I would use a combination of gate and noise reduction plus EQ, a lot of times you can EQ out really low and hi sounds using a hi and low pass filer..

Good luck!!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jul 29, 2014 at 5:01:01 pm

Hi Scott:

Thank you for your response.

I was able to reduce some of the noise with my noise reduction software, then I used EQ to lessen it more. I may have to keep what I have as it really isn't that bad. The ambient noise is from the street, cars and such, and it kind of competes with the dialogue. The good thing is that there is no particular sound, like a motor or talking that I hear; just traffic. I believe I may be able to get away with it. What I really wanted was to lower the ambient and raise the voice. I know that RX3 Advanced could have done this for me, but I don't have it.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 29, 2014 at 5:23:49 pm

[Debbie King] " I know that RX3 Advanced could have done this for me, but I don't have it."

I do. If you wish I could have a go for you. What's the play-time?

G

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jul 30, 2014 at 9:31:15 pm

Hi Grazie:

It's a very short clip about 30 seconds. I have to check. The background noise is not that bad, and the voices do stand out, but I wanted to try to clean it up more. I cleaned it a little.

Bob: Both of these actors are out of town, and although I have taken a unique approach to getting some dialogue from other actors, those were just monologue; not exchanged dialogue. It would be virtually impossible to do it this way with two people, as they would need to see the clip to follow; and I cannot at this time share video clips before premiere. If they were able to come to my location, it would be doable.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:05:13 am

[Debbie King] "The background noise is not that bad, and the voices do stand out, but I wanted to try to clean it up more."

Well, do you wish that I have a go at it?

G

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Aug 1, 2014 at 6:19:47 pm

Hi Grazie:

I would love this, except I am still laboring on the idea of what I had been told about not revealing any portion of the movie before there is an acceptance to an exhibition; should I get into one. This is why I may have to self contain this project for the time being despite the challenges.

Thank you so much for offering.

Many sincere thanks.

Best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 1, 2014 at 6:34:20 pm

Debbie, I completely understand. I just don't like people struggling if I have the tools.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jul 29, 2014 at 7:56:27 pm

If you know the people who spoke in your clip, Vegas does support ADR (Automatic Dialogue Replacement) quite well. I once replaced all of the voices in a clip from Star Wars with this feature. That is how Hollywood obtains flawless dialogue in a movie as you probably know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]