FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas having issues with video clips from Drift HD camera

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hesham Rostami
Sony Vegas having issues with video clips from Drift HD camera
on Jul 21, 2014 at 6:36:35 am

Hey everybody!

I signed up on the COW forum because I need help using Sony Vegas Pro 9 to edit some video footage.

At first, I was not able to import my video clips (shot with the Drift HD camera & originally saved with the .MOV extension) into Vegas at all. Trying to drag and drop the video clips resulted in the error "The file is damaged or of an unknown type". Through sheer dumb luck, I guessed that by changing the file extension to either .m2t or .mpg, Vegas will readily accept the file.

Although I can now import my videos without a hitch, my issue now is that whatever settings I try to use, be it in the Project properties or the actual video clip's settings, the playback of the clips I capture is very choppy, both while previewing the video and when playing back the rendered file. The choppiness does not extend to other video formats, even with the same intense render settings. Playing the original clips in Media Player Classic is fine; no choppiness is apparent with either audio or video.

Video I've rendered demonstrating this issue (in 720p) (in process of being uploaded at time of posting). While the background file is playing alright, each time a clip from my camera comes up, you can see the clip I recorded suffer in terms of video quality. Oddly, audio does not seem to be affected.

Any assistance as to how I can make these videos not choppy in rendering would be greatly appreciated.

QTime player is version 7.4.

Return to posts index

Hesham Rostami
Re: Sony Vegas having issues with video clips from Drift HD camera
on Jul 21, 2014 at 7:45:37 am

[Hesham Rostami] "Video I've rendered demonstrating this issue (in 720p)"

Seeing that I don't appear to have an option to edit posts, this is the video I was referring to.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 21, 2014 at 2:49:51 pm

You have given no information to work with but I'll take a guess that maybe your framerates from the camera source and project/render are different and the choppiness is coming from Vegas frame resample blending. Normally this frame blending just gives a blurry/soft look but it might give a choppy look.

Some things that might help people help you.

Details of the camera source file(s). A MediaInfo report is excellent. It is a free utility.

Details of your project settings.

Details of your render settings.

Return to posts index

Hesham Rostami
on Jul 21, 2014 at 4:32:24 pm

Thanks, Norman. This is the Media Report from one of the source video files:

General
Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Videos\helmet_cam\FILE0114.m2t
Format : QuickTime
Format/Info : Original Apple specifications
File size : 1.32 GiB
Duration : 20mn 13s
Overall bit rate : 9 350 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2014-07-15 20:01:25
Tagged date : UTC 2014-07-15 20:01:25

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 9 218 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 60.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.167
Stream size : 1.30 GiB (99%)

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 18.5 MiB (1%)

Screen shot of the Properties window:

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 21, 2014 at 4:52:44 pm

I downloaded the file and played it in MPC-HC and advanced frame by frame and there does appear to be frame blending due to the resampling.

Around the 7 second mark where the hand comes into view is where it becomes quite obvious.

Your source and project have the same frame rate, but the render is different and therefore Vegas needs to resample the video stream to the final output. I looked at the properties of the file you uploaded in MediaInfo. The Vegas frame blending resample does not give good results for many scenes. Most people turn resampling off. That is an event level switch/property.

Return to posts index

Hesham Rostami
on Jul 21, 2014 at 5:44:15 pm

Per your instruction, I disabled the Resample event switch and rendered a new test clip. Resampling might well have been the culprit, because this new clip (although not 100% smooth) is definitely much smoother and not as blending as before.

I'm glad we got somewhere. But is there anything else that might be holding my renders back from 100% glorious quality?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 21, 2014 at 11:18:33 pm

[Hesham Rostami] "But is there anything else that might be holding my renders back from 100% glorious quality?"

Can you point to a specific spot/time in your video that you think is bad.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]