FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing and Rendering 1080/50p footage in Vegas 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris McTaggart
Editing and Rendering 1080/50p footage in Vegas 13
on Jul 20, 2014 at 10:15:24 am

Hi All,

Please bear with me as this is my first post and I couldn't find any info that has covered this before (I think).

I've finally got some time to sit down and edit a few years worth of holiday videos and photos and I'm after a little advice.

Most of my video was shot with a Panasonic HDC-SD900 camcorder recording at 1080/50p into mts files.

At this stage don't intend on burning the movies to bluray format. I think I would rather edit the photos and videos together into a 1080/50p format and just watch the end result on the PC or through a media player. Ultimately preserving the highest video quality is my priority here.

I've started to play around with the project and rendering settings matching them to the video files settings. When I render a 55MB mts file to a custom 1080/50p mp4 file with the highest bitrate possible without any editing at all the rendered mp4 is only 50MB. I would have thought since no edit has been applied the end file would be the same size? When I look at the bit rate properties the rendered files are slightly lower than the original.

The quality to me with the files rendered through Vegas still looks great but I'm just wondering if I've lost something through the render process. Have I missed something in the render settings? I think the camera says is records at a 28Mbps bit rate and the highest Vegas will go in the render settings is 25,999,360. Is that the reason for the lower file size in the final render? Does is even matter in the real world when watching on a PC or high def TV?

There are also several cases where I want to just simply trim a 4min video down to say the interesting 30seconds without losing any quality.

I'm also interested in feedback on best hardware setup on where to keep the source video files for where to send the output file when rendering. I have a PC with one internal 7200RPM HDD and 2 external USB 3.0 5400RPM HDD. Adding more internal HDDs isn't an option.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Editing and Rendering 1080/50p footage in Vegas 13
on Jul 22, 2014 at 12:19:59 pm

[Chris McTaggart] "The quality to me with the files rendered through Vegas still looks great but I'm just wondering if I've lost something through the render process. Have I missed something in the render settings? I think the camera says is records at a 28Mbps bit rate and the highest Vegas will go in the render settings is 25,999,360. Is that the reason for the lower file size in the final render? Does is even matter in the real world when watching on a PC or high def TV? "
Rendering to a codec that is not lossless implies loss. Whether you can see the loss or not is another thing. The file was probably smaller because it used a slightly lower bit-rate. If you can't see a visual difference I wouldn't worry about it.
[Chris McTaggart] "I'm also interested in feedback on best hardware setup on where to keep the source video files for where to send the output file when rendering. I have a PC with one internal 7200RPM HDD and 2 external USB 3.0 5400RPM HDD. Adding more internal HDDs isn't an option."
I edit on external USB 3.0 7200RPM drives all the time. If you're happy with the performance of the 5400 drives then you're all set but I prefer 7200 drives. I also render back to those external drives. Usually rendering is gated by the CPU not by file I/O so there is no harm in rendering back to the same drive. I pick up the Western Digital My Passport 1TB drives when they go on sale for $59 at NewEgg.com. I have a bunch of these with source video and completed projects on them. Always have a backup of your source videos (you never known when you'll need it).

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]