FORUMS: list search recent posts

Techniques for speeding up video

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Armkencht
Techniques for speeding up video
on Jul 19, 2014 at 3:50:00 pm

First off, I'm using Movie Studio Platinum 13. I know that limits my options (4x limit on playback rate). I don't think I'm ready to go the full Vegas route, but I could possibly be persuaded. Also open to other tools or products that might to what I want.

On to my question. I have several clips 5-10 minutes long each, and want to speed them up about 64x or 128x. These are sunset and cloud videos with some other things happening in the foreground. What is the best procedure and tool to use to get a good, smooth time-lapse style video?

Since Movie Studio limits me to 4x speed, I've tried rendering, bringing it back in, and then rendering again at 4x to get a 16x clip. I did not see an option for uncompressed export, so I created a template under Video for Windows that is 1080-60i with video format set to "Uncompressed." However, after re-rendering several times to get to 64x or so, quality looks pretty bad.

For reference, my video source is interlaced footage from a Sony HDR-CX380.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Techniques for speeding up video
on Jul 19, 2014 at 10:00:54 pm

[Douglas Armkencht] "I have several clips 5-10 minutes long each, and want to speed them up about 64x or 128x. These are sunset and cloud videos with some other things happening in the foreground. What is the best procedure and tool to use to get a good, smooth time-lapse style video?"
VASST TimeWarp can speed your video up to 10,000x and it's only $9.95 USD. It doesn't work with audio, just video but for time-lapse like you are doing it should be perfect.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm the developer of TimeWarp. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Douglas Armkencht
Re: Techniques for speeding up video
on Aug 2, 2014 at 1:10:41 pm

Thank you, John, I purchased TimeWarp and it does what I need quickly and easily. Only real quirk is the folder storage method, which causes issues if I want multiple timewarps of a single clip. Not hard to work around though.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Even with "Reduce Ghosting" unchecked, it doesn't seem to do resampling. This is fine, but results in a choppy stop-motion look on some clips. I get around this by using TimeWarp, then doing a 4x time compression with resampling on the clip. It would be nice to have more options for resampling here.

2) The use of JPEGs is good for file sizes, but problematic in some low-light instances. The artifact noise causes some flicker in the final clip. It would be nice to have an option for lossless images.

That said, good job and thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]