FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting AVCHD (.mts) to H.264 => Which are the best container output (.mp4 .mkv .avi .mov) considering further editing in Vegas?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Silva
Converting AVCHD (.mts) to H.264 => Which are the best container output (.mp4 .mkv .avi .mov) considering further editing in Vegas?
on Jul 16, 2014 at 3:40:12 pm

Hi,

I’ve been recording videos in AVCHD (.mts). Since the files are huge I intend to save storage/space by converting the files to other format/container (keeping the original bitrate and resolution).

I also intend to edit the converted files in Vegas and I would appreciate advice regarding which is the best video container to convert the files and handle them in Vegas. The codec is H.264: mp4 / mkv / mov / avi ?

Ps.: I don't know if this matter, but I am using Movavi Video Converter throughout this process (http://www.movavi.com/videoconverter/).

Thanks!

Carlos

Return to posts index

mark thompson
Re: Converting AVCHD (.mts) to H.264 => Which are the best container output (.mp4 .mkv .avi .mov) considering further editing in Vegas?
on Jul 16, 2014 at 4:33:42 pm

Hi
my 2 cents, AVCHD really is H.264 so I wouldn't be expecting very much more compression. You might find a better codec implementation which will compress more than your original but ... Sony already recommend AVCHD as a good editing format. The better format is MPEG2 long gop but that will not benefit from the enhancements in AVC.

Sony published a paper it: http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/micro/xdcam/solutions/MPEG-2_Long_...

mark

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Converting AVCHD (.mts) to H.264 => Which are the best container output (.mp4 .mkv .avi .mov) considering further editing in Vegas?
on Jul 17, 2014 at 1:28:33 am

[Carlos Silva] "I’ve been recording videos in AVCHD (.mts). Since the files are huge I intend to save storage/space by converting the files to other format/container (keeping the original bitrate and resolution). "

If you keep the same bitrate then the new files will be the same size as the original.

AVC/H.264 is quite editable. It does take more compute power to decode than mpeg-2 for example. As long as your CPU can work with your source files you should be fine.

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Dec 22, 2014 at 2:53:56 am

I prefer mp4 , this container foramt maybe the most compatible format. And you can load your videos in whatever video editor you like

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]