FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Unable to Play 1920x1080 60fps Footage

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Carpenter
Sony Vegas Unable to Play 1920x1080 60fps Footage
on Jul 15, 2014 at 1:45:29 am

Please Help!!!
Okay, so I'm trying to edit footage shot from a Canon 1Dc in Sony Vegas 13. When I am trying to play raw footage shot at 1920x1080 @ 60fps, the footage keeps pausing, a stop and go type jitter. When I'm playing raw footage shot at 1920x1080 @ 24fps, it plays just fine. My machine is not too new, and I know I need to desperately upgrade, however when I put this footage into Adobe Premiere CS6, both framerates seem to play just fine. Problem is...the people I'm editing for, need a sony vegas project file. Is there anything I can do within Vegas or my machine to enhance the quality of playback so I can actually edit this footage? Machine specs are below for reference.

Thanks so much!

Dell Precision 490
Quad Core Xeon 2.3GHz
6.00 GB Memory
Windows 7Pro
120GB SSD for OP Drive
5 External USB 2.0 Drives (2 Terabytes Each)

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Sony Vegas Unable to Play 1920x1080 60fps Footage
on Jul 15, 2014 at 2:28:35 pm

Your CPUs should be fine but you are waaaaay to low on RAM. Since RAM is so cheap today, I'd recommend 16bg at a minimum.

One important piece of info you left out is what type of video card you have in there. If it is the original card it might be your main problem. If you don't know what the GPU is, go into the System Preferences/Hardware and see what's listed.

Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Carpenter
on Jul 15, 2014 at 2:54:12 pm

Yeah I know I definitely need to upgrade my ram. Sadly for my machine it's not too cheap haha, and I can't quite afford it just yet. An 8gig kit of crucial memory is $300.
My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 with the following specs:

Graphics card version GT 640
CUDA Cores 384
Graphics Clock (MHz) 900
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 28.8
Memory Specs:
Memory Clock 1.8 Gbps
Standard Memory Config 2048 MB
Memory Interface DDR3
Memory Interface Width 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 28.5

I just didn't know if there was something in Vegas I could tweak, or perhaps a assign a scratch drive maybe? I know I have my video preview mode on Preview (Half) and it's still terrible playback.
My main question I guess is....why will Premiere play the footage back just fine, and Vegas struggles?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 15, 2014 at 11:44:01 pm

The Vegas AVC decoder is not the best and 1080p60 footage will really tax the system and you need something fast.

I am not stating that is the problem, but rather the AVC decoder is a known issue with GoPro 1080p60 footage and it could be a problem with other camera files as well. Either way 1080p60 material is a workout for your PC.

You might be on the razor edge of functioning smoothly or not.

Transcoding to something easier to decode or proxy files are possible workarounds.

Return to posts index

Dave Carpenter
on Jul 16, 2014 at 3:26:15 pm

Yeah I've heard about the issues with GoPro's. Guess I'll just have to tell my client I can't edit his stuff until I can update. :(

Thanks guys..I really appreciate the feedback!

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 17, 2014 at 1:33:35 am

[Dave Carpenter] "Guess I'll just have to tell my client I can't edit his stuff until I can update. :("

Proxy will work just fine. I have used the Vegas smart proxy with some 1080p60 GoPro footage. It is quite transparent to use. The proxies are big with 60p stuff and smart proxy. A more classic proxy method it a little more work but you control the proxy format.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]