FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grain FX from three different Video Event FX = Render Errors/Macroblocking

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Randall
Grain FX from three different Video Event FX = Render Errors/Macroblocking
on Jul 3, 2014 at 4:45:35 pm

I'm not sure what spec (Vegas or Hardware) people like to know, so please ask. I've included what I thought was pertinent: render settings, laptop spec, timeline grab.

I'm cutting Sony FS700 footage (.mts) in Pro 11 and all my FX render fine, apart from any variation of grain from Film Effects, Add Noise, or Film Grain.

Upon rendering, the output (.m2t) displays the grain as huge blocks, grossly animated and resembling severe corruption. It appears as macroblocking, even if it isn't. I've attached my render settings and I've not had this before, although this is my first time with .mts' before - they're much nicer than Canon Quicktimes, that's for damn sure!

Hopefully someone can identify the reason, even if it's user error!

Thanks in advance,

NR.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Grain FX from three different Video Event FX = Render Errors/Macroblocking
on Jul 3, 2014 at 7:28:57 pm

[Neil Randall] "all my FX render fine, apart from any variation of grain from Film Effects, Add Noise, or Film Grain. "

Maybe you can show us a screen shot of your noise/grain. This is the most difficult thing to encode and requires the most bitrate. I notice your encode settings are extremely tight, almost constant bitrate. You might try raising the max bitate to 40.

The reason I asked about seeing a screen shot is that I once added noise as an effect. Heavy noise that then faded out in a few seconds. I rendered that uncompressed and then used Handbrake to encode at constant quality (crf 22). My media PC could not play that bit smoothly and I looked at the bitrate in BitrateViewer and saw the bitrate of that section rocket up to 110Mbps from an average of about 20Mbps. Of course when I render for internet it does not look even remotely like the editor, but such is life at lower bitrates.

Your bitrate seems good for high quality encodes, but the level of noise may be too much to properly encode. If your noise/grain section is short like I had, then you can raise your max bitrate to help that noise section. If the noise is over long sections then you will have to raise the bitrate or abandon the visual effect. AVC might do better than mpeg-2.

Return to posts index

Neil Randall
Re: Grain FX from three different Video Event FX = Render Errors/Macroblocking
on Jul 3, 2014 at 8:13:51 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get a screenshot, but it's relatively heavy grain for long sections, so it is probably what you suggest: not enough horsepower and too low a bitrate.

I'll try a higher bitrate and see what happens, but I already have a pass minus the grain as a backup - delivery is very soon. If it becomes too ridiculous in terms of bitrate, I'll stick to the new pass.

Thanks again,

NR.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]