FORUMS: list search recent posts

GPU acceleration Sony Vegas 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Green
GPU acceleration Sony Vegas 13
on Jul 3, 2014 at 1:38:24 pm

I wanted to enable the CUDA GPU acceleration in Vegas, I've found my graphics card in the Video tab in Preferences, selected it, restarted, however when I try to render something and I click "Check GPU" in System tab it says "No GPU avialible". There is absolutely no difference in speed when using "Use GPU if avialible" and "Use CPU only". I've updated my drivers, and now it says "QSV avialible". Still no CUDA acceleration.

I'm using a laptop:
Intel Core i7-4700 HQ 2.4 GHz (3.4 GHz Turbo)
GeForce GTX 860M / 2GB GDDR5
8GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 8.1 64 bit

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: GPU acceleration Sony Vegas 13
on Jul 3, 2014 at 2:37:05 pm

I don't believe the 860M is on the list of compatible video cards. It is a mobile chipset GPU and not a full-sized GPU.

Dave

Return to posts index

Edward Troxel
on Jul 3, 2014 at 2:43:02 pm

Even though it is a Mobile card, you can go to the nVidia control panel and tell it to stay in "full power" mode when running Vegas.

Edward Troxel

Return to posts index

Steve Green
on Jul 3, 2014 at 4:26:04 pm

I did, profiled Sony Vegas just like games and set maximum power everywhere. No effect.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 3, 2014 at 4:58:27 pm

You need to be a lot more specific in your description.

Vegas has its own GPU preference under the preferences menu, video tab. Here you select the video device you want the Vegas video engine to use. The Video engine is what assembles/composites your video from your various sources, and effects into a single video stream. This of course is always used. Playback and file encoding.

Mainconcept AVC file encoder has its own options separate from the Vegas video engine. OpenCL and CUDA. CUDA would be applicable to your Nvidia card.

Sony AVC file encoder has it own options separate from the Vegas video engine. Use GPU when available (CUDA or OpenCL) and it also supports Intel Quicksync. That is the QSV available message you saw. Quicksync is a completely different encoder than the "normal" Sony AVC encoder. Sony just chose to expose this function under Sony AVC.

You can have multiple video devices active. It sounds like you might have drivers installed for both the Intel integrated and Nvidia graphics. The Intel graphics make Quicksync available. The Vegas video preferences will list both cards in this situation. In that case select the one that gives the best performance.

Quicksync should be a very fast encoder.

Return to posts index

Steve Green
on Jul 3, 2014 at 5:10:22 pm

That's really weird, because my card has high CUDA compatibility according to Nvidia.
I've checked Adobe Premiere Pro trial version, and it actually allows me to use GPU acceleration. Well, seems like I'll have to switch to Adobe one.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Jul 4, 2014 at 8:47:37 am

[Steve Green] "There is absolutely no difference in speed when using "Use GPU if avialible" and "Use CPU only". I've updated my drivers, and now it says "QSV avialible". Still no CUDA acceleration."

This has kind of been hashed out, but let's repeat. Vegas has a GPU setting -- it's the one you find on the Video tab in preferences. That will work for ANY OpenCL-compatible GPU. It does not use CUDA, but in most cases, nVidia's CUDA drivers also support OpenCL. That's the setting that Vegas uses for GPU-based compositing, etc. That's the one and only one that makes your previews go faster -- and by extension, all renders, since the same rendering has to be done for any video as for preview.

There are also GPU settings on a few of the CODECs, which apply to only those CODECs. Offhand, there's a setting on Sony's AVC CODEC and Main Concept's AVC CODEC. Sony's does very little with the GPU and I haven't taken a close look at that one recently.

Main Concept, on the other hand, delivers a dramatic speedup if you have a compatible card. Unfortunately, they've rather subverted the whole point of APIs like OpenCL or CUDA (they actually support both) by hard-wiring their CODEC to use OpenCL ONLY for a small set of AMD GPUs -- those available circa 2010. And same with CUDA -- just those nVidia GPUs available around 2010... GPUs that exited prior to Vegas 11 shipping.

Basically, Main Concept has been shuffled around as a business, being bought first by DivX, then Roxio, and recently sold off. During the years it was owned by Roxio, pretty much nothing happened on the AVC CODEC -- no improvements, no unlocking it for newer GPUs. Sony's still bundling it, and it's actually going to produce better quality video on the CPU (keep the GPU set for Vegas itself, but don't use the Main Concept GPU setting for production video unless you're willing to take somewhat worse quality video). Of course, if you're using any recent GPU, it's not something to worry about -- you ARE using the CPU for the CODEC-specific part of the render.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Sorin C. Nicu
on Oct 22, 2014 at 5:56:03 pm

That's so sad. I still use a Fermi card especially because of this reason.
Main Concept's CUDA and OpenCL encoder files included in latest update of Sony Vegas 13 are signed "20 Dec 2010"...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]