FORUMS: list search recent posts

A request to my fellow Sony Vegas compadres.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Bailey
A request to my fellow Sony Vegas compadres.
on Jul 3, 2014 at 1:33:12 pm

I feel one of the biggest features lacking in Sony Vegas is the ability to import Cinema DNG files. Perhaps, with more individuals besides myself requesting this feature, they will possibly incorporate it within a future build. If you would, please drop by Sony Creative Software and request the feature.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/support/productsuggestion.asp

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: A request to my fellow Sony Vegas compadres.
on Jul 3, 2014 at 5:09:34 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Jul 4, 2014 at 12:09:54 am

Done

EDIT: ...but I doubt this will ever happen.
SCS does not write the decoders in Vegas. They come from Mainconcept. HDCAM SR excluded. RED RAW comes from RED. MC does not support Cinema DNG.

Supporting RAW, even a portable format like DNG, one needs to develop a sophisticated demosaic code.

Editing RAW directly is always going to be problematic with performance. Of course Vegas can always smart proxy.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Jul 4, 2014 at 3:49:26 pm

MC doesn't provide all the CODECs for Vegas -- in fact, Sony has their own AVC encoder, of course, in addition to the MC version. And MC has at best proven a poor partner, given the corporate shuffle they've been through and the fact that MC isn't supporting GPGPL coding properly, or any GPU introduced after about 2010.

As for CinemaDNG itself, it's hard to guess if SCS will consider it important enough to support. Adobe dropped official support of it last year, ironically just about the time that a bunch of Cinema-style cameras adopted it as their format-of-choice. There is a CinemaDNG SIG: http://www.cinema-dng.com, which will presumably track happenings in this area.

It's also important to understand the size ramifications.. you're talking about 5GB per minute of CinemaDNG for ~2K video. That adds up fast. The Digital Bolex people are suggesting a workflow that keeps the CinemaDNG files around as long as possible, to the extent they're building a tool that's basically Lightroom for video, so you can do all kinds of stuff (color grading, etc) non-destructively on CinemaDNG files before doing a one-time transcoding to some editable format.

They're not only assuming that NLEs won't likely support CinemaDNG import, but dealing with the truth that even if they did, they're not currently able to do "raw" things. I've run into this myself. I've done some time-lapse shooting with my Canons, which get me a series of Canon RAW files, basically 5K video. Using Vegas' support of the Microsoft RAW still photo CODEC, I can import a whole series of these directly into Vegas. But I don't have any of the RAW controls I'm used to from Lightroom or the Photoshop Camera RAW importer... I'm not really sure what Vegas actually gets from the output of the RAW converter. So I'm probably going to make RAW adjustments in Lightroom anyway (not the best tool, just the only tool for the job), export that sequence, and then edit that in Vegas... that's what has worked. So maybe the Digital Bolex people are correct on this -- just as a big chunk of Lightroom began life as Pixmantec's "RawShooter" -- a program just for RAW photo manipulation -- we may need a similar thing for RAW video to get the best results.

That said, I understand the need for better solutions today. I'm just not sure SCS will have any skin in this game. And they have bigger issues, like the absolutely necessary support for H.265 and maybe VP9 that will be 2015 issues if not necessarily 2014 problems. I'd really like to see SCS open up Vegas for easier authoring of external CODECs, and built-in support for input and output frameservers. At least that way, I could write my own if I felt it critical enough.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Sep 2, 2014 at 9:20:17 pm

Alright, request granted. I have been trying to get this out for a while now. Did a post three weeks ago and no one seemed to care. Looking for a way to just view Magic Lantern raw dng and cdng I downloaded the Adobe dng codec and installed it. Yes it allows the viewing of dng and cdng files in the default windows picture viewer. Messing with an edit in Vegas I noticed the dng files in the explorer window and though lets try and surprise... vegas read the dng file which prompted me to import the series. It works... slow but it works. Duplicated the process on three other machines just to be certain.
Here is a link to another thread where it's explained, youll find the answers near the bottom.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/979809#981751
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Sep 8, 2014 at 7:11:27 am

Have you read my reply at the bottom of the page?
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]