FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony vegas pro 13, only imports audio from .MOV files (PRORES 422(PROXY) 1920X1080 millions)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
manuel pimentel
Sony vegas pro 13, only imports audio from .MOV files (PRORES 422(PROXY) 1920X1080 millions)
on Jul 1, 2014 at 9:15:30 am

Hi all,

So I spent about 4 hours looking for an answer, on the web and on this site, and was not able to find something that helped me, i've tried several of the things stated on this site and still have the same issue.

I got some files for a short movie I recorded to edit on sony vegas on my pc, the files are .mov files, Recorded by the DP with his black magic camera. I get home and it only imports audio into my Sony Vegas timeline. I dont mean the video is black, I mean it does not import it at all, just the sound. I can play the file fine on both quicktime and WMP with visual.

Format is APPLE PRORES 422(PROXY) 1920X1080 millions

I have

Quicktime 7.75.80
Sony vegas pro 13

Now after reading everything I have tried the following.

I de-installed and re-installed both quicktime and sony vegas.

I even downgraded all the way to quicktime 7.3 with same issues.

I upgraded to quicktime 7 pro..

I tried to download prores decoder for windows (but it said I had the latest version)

With the pro version of Quicktime i tried to Resave the files fromt the player (saw that one on youtube) but nope.

Hell I even tried to rename them to .mp4... Nothing.

Test footage: https://www.sendspace.com/file/0z767n

I do not know too much as far as the settings the camera man used, all i know is it was .mov files and he did have to compress them in order to give them to me due to the huge amount of data we recorded.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Sony vegas pro 13, only imports audio from .MOV files (PRORES 422(PROXY) 1920X1080 millions)
on Jul 1, 2014 at 3:09:11 pm

I downloaded your file and I get the same thing. Vegas does not think the file has any video. MediaInfo says the file was re-compressed into the low quality Proxy profile of ProRes. This should not be a problem, it is just the first time I have seen a prores proxy file.

Quicktime media player is able to play the file properly. Vegas appears to have a bug in this regard.

As a test I encoded a ProRes Proxy file on my machine using ffmpeg and Vegas was able to open that file properly.

Return to posts index

manuel pimentel
Re: Sony vegas pro 13, only imports audio from .MOV files (PRORES 422(PROXY) 1920X1080 millions)
on Jul 1, 2014 at 4:33:38 pm

Hi Norman and thanks for the quick reply,

my head is about to explode, everything says I "Should" be able to play the file, but I Can't,

at least knowing you cannot play it either eliminates my system or installs as the issue... I even went to Vegas 11 to try it, same issue.

I am heading back to the Camera mans home today (He still has the original uncompressed files) I cannot get the files as they are as its 3 days of shooting and i would need a whole new laptop to even have that kind of space to accept those files, so he does need to compress again...

Any ideas as to what if anything he can change, or what method to compress or anything that may be able to help? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 1, 2014 at 5:19:49 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Jul 1, 2014 at 5:43:25 pm

I would submit a bug report to Sony, uploading your example file stating the problem.

You really should eventually have the originals since you don't want to render your final video from the Proxy files.

If you need low bitrate to get the file size down AND you want to do your final render from those same files, I would suggest you transcode the camera original ProRes files to something like the following.

Not knowing you machine performance capabilities.
For easiest editing transcode to 50Mbps XDCAM 422 in an MXF file (or MP4). 35Mbps XDCAM EX 420 is also an option. This is mpeg-2 which edits easily. Mac people will want to put this into a MOV file, which is not that formats native container, and on Windows you will have to purchase a decoder plug-in for quicktime.

Approx 50Mbps AVC/H.264 in MOV. Baseline profile for easiest editing. Or Main/High profile with CABAC turned OFF. This will be 420. You can probably go lower than 50Mbps, especially since you are 24fps.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:00:30 pm

[manuel pimentel] "Any ideas as to what if anything he can change, or what method to compress or anything that may be able to help? Thanks again."
There is definitely something wrong with the file that he gave you. What did he used to encode this file?

Tell him to use Apple Compressor 4.1. I just re-encoded the file as Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy) with Apple Compressor 4.1 and it opened in Vegas Pro just fine.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

manuel pimentel
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:29:55 pm

Hey and thanks to both of you,

what he ended up doing (in case anyone else searching like me comes across the same issue) was to give me the files compressed but not in a proxy form, he gave it to me like this

h.264 1920X1080 millions (as Norman suggested)

the size file is almost 3 times as heavy, but it did work, and I will have to use that and edit from an external.

(Speaking of that my computer is old, I do not have a usb 3.0 port, what would you guys do, dump computer files to external and import files to computer or could i simply use the ESATA plug and edit from external.. is it the same?)

I'm not sure what he used to compress it, so I do not want to mislead anyone.

In any case thanks so much for looking into this, a lot of the threads I read and most of the trouble shooting I did before posting had a lot of your comments in them, so it is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jul 1, 2014 at 10:18:41 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Jul 1, 2014 at 10:28:52 pm

[manuel pimentel] "I'm not sure what he used to compress it, so I do not want to mislead anyone. "

From MediaInfo, it look like he used Quicktime, but some program using Quicktime might still list Quicktime as the writing library. Googling "abm0" does not show any good results.

Format : QuickTime
Format/Info : Original Apple specifications
File size : 47.8 MiB
Duration : 13s 722ms
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 29.2 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2014-07-01 00:18:56
Tagged date : UTC 2014-07-01 00:19:00
Writing library : Apple QuickTime

Video
ID : 1
Format : ProRes
Format version : Version 0
Format profile : Proxy
Codec ID : apco
Duration : 13s 722ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 27.7 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.557
Stream size : 45.3 MiB (95%)
Writing library : abm0
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2014-07-01 00:18:56
Tagged date : UTC 2014-07-01 00:19:00
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
matrix_coefficients_Original : BT.709

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 2, 2014 at 12:21:08 am

[manuel pimentel] "(Speaking of that my computer is old, I do not have a usb 3.0 port, what would you guys do, dump computer files to external and import files to computer or could i simply use the ESATA plug and edit from external.. is it the same?)"
I edit on external eSATA drives all the time. No problems at all. I would not use USB 2.0. I've found that USB 3.0 is almost as fast as eSATA. Some people report that USB 2.0 is fast enough but I've never tried it. Use eSATA of you have it.

~jr

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jul 2, 2014 at 6:11:46 pm

"I've found that USB 3.0 is almost as fast as eSATA."

That is true!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Young monica
on Nov 4, 2014 at 6:52:23 am

One possible reason is that MOV is a native QuickTime file format which functions as a multimedia container file that contains one or more tracks, each of which stores a particular type of data that is difficult for Sony Vegas to keep and recognize so that you only got audio while importing MOV to Vegas.

Return to posts index

Bob Jordan
on Nov 17, 2014 at 10:04:44 am
Last Edited By Bob Jordan on Nov 17, 2014 at 10:06:52 am

Just like what monica saide, MOV is a container format instead of a codec. If you're facing issues editing MOV files, you can try to convert MOV to a more editing-friendly format such as WMV or MPEG-2.

Here is a workaround for you: http://www.easefab.com/video-to-software/convert-mov-to-sony-vegas.html

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 17, 2014 at 1:17:10 pm

[Bob Jordan] "you can try to convert MOV to a more editing-friendly format such as WMV or MPEG-2. "
Just FYI.. WMV is not an "edit-friendly" format and is one of the worst formats you can edit in Vegas Pro. Vegas can't even read the audio in these files so it has to create audio proxies. Do not convert files to WMV to edit in Vegas Pro, it will just lead to other problems.

~jr

Return to posts index

Rob Rothkopf
on Feb 11, 2015 at 6:58:50 pm

FYI -- I just received my first footage from a BMD Cinema Cam and am having the identical problem. Audio imports, no video.

It was recorded using ProRes LT. It plays fine in VLC and other players. Vegas only imports the audio. Besides dragging it in, I tried "import media"... says it can't understand the video format :(

and info from MEDIAINFO:

ID : 1
Format : apcs
Codec ID : apcs
Duration : 24s 57ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 102 Mbps
Width : 1 888 pixels
Original width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 062 pixels
Original height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.699
Stream size : 293 MiB (98%)
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2014-01-31 18:51:03
Tagged date : UTC 2014-01-31 18:51:03

Return to posts index

Rob Rothkopf
on Feb 11, 2015 at 7:12:17 pm

OOPS... installing QT 7 seems to have fixed my problem... sheesh.. so easy

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 12, 2015 at 4:17:40 am

[Rob Rothkopf] "OOPS... installing QT 7 seems to have fixed my problem... sheesh.. so easy"
I'm surprised that Vegas Pro imported the audio without QuickTime being installed. It usually warns you to install QuickTime. Glad you figure it out.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]