FORUMS: list search recent posts

Someone else falling over the Rental Cliff

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Mann
Someone else falling over the Rental Cliff
on Jun 27, 2014 at 2:22:12 pm

I know it's not something that most of us follow, but PlayStation is moving to the rental abyss with rental prices as low as $2.99 for four hours to $19.99 for 90-days. (PlayStation Now)

DigitalMediaNet says: " ... But the real problem may be the entire concept of the model."

I wonder, how many video editors were playing games as teenagers? Is it a conspiracy to get them comfortable with the rental model early, then a few hundred dollars a year will seem normal?

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Someone else falling over the Rental Cliff
on Jun 27, 2014 at 2:50:12 pm

What a load of utter nonsense!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jun 27, 2014 at 3:06:50 pm

I loved video games growing up (I would get my stress out from the school week by playing 9 hours of games on Friday nights) and can't afford the time or money for them now, but I follow video game news. And though this doesn't give me nearly as much insight as actually gaming does, it seems like a decent reaction to the ridiculous prices of both physical and downloadable games, especially from Sony. I see it as getting more costly than just buying a game if you play online for more than 90 days, but for a lot of single player games it seems like a way of getting players who don't have as much money and who couldn't afford the games otherwise.

Again, this is a surface level reading of the situation, which can often be turned upside down with more facts. But it seems pretty sensible given that someone like myself would be more interested in it since I'm one of the people who can't afford $60 games.

I'll die happy if I become rich and get to enjoy another 8 hour gaming binge.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jun 27, 2014 at 3:53:40 pm

I had no idea of the cost of games, but the news that yet another platform is going rental is what I saw.

As I've said in the past, when a company like Adobe needs to switch to a subscription model, it means they are out of ideas for new features. Think of your own upgrade habits - you are probably feature-driven. When there's compelling new features in the upgrade, people will upgrade. When they run out of ideas for new features, their survival depends on a ransomeware model. This is what is happening at Adobe.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Jun 27, 2014 at 6:50:57 pm

Everything appears to be as if they have one hand reaching for your wallet and a bat in the other waiting to whack you over the head. At some point the rewards are not worth the costs. It is an addiction that finds people paying for the latest and greatest. The trouble is with the tradeoffs you need to keep up with the current technology. It would be nice if you could afford to compete with the Jone's, but robbing Peter to pay Paul? Ransomeware indeed!

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 27, 2014 at 8:58:36 pm

You are both so right Mike and Stephen, This Ransomware mentality
is beginning to grow in numbers. But i can tell you, at some point
something is gonna have to give, lol.
Nothing pi**es me off more than someone telling me or making comments
justifying or supporting this ransom payment method. I cannot understand
how someone cant see the long term doom to their pockets following this
payment method.
Then again if Vegas and all our other editing tools and plugins go
this root, what are we gonna do?......Use alternatives would be my
answer, BUT, the alternatives will be ransomware also, lol

Film Maker & VFX Artist.
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jun 27, 2014 at 10:41:28 pm

"Then again if Vegas and all our other editing tools and plugins go
this root, what are we gonna do?"

As long as Vegas tempts me with compelling new features with every upgrade cycle, I'll keep upgrading.

Not that I would ever endorse it, but the ransom model will just increase the pirated copies.
From Gizmodo:

"Just one day after the official roll out of Creative Cloud, a certain Ching Liu has already uploaded a torrent link to The Pirate Bay which provides a cracked version of the software. Named “Adobe Photoshop CC 14.0 Final Multilanguage”, comments left by Pirate Bay users suggest it works just great.

It remains to be seen if it will work long-term—the new desktop apps have to to connect to Adobe’s servers every month to re-validate their subscription status—but clearly Liu has got around the connectivity issues required for install. And clearly Adobe needs to up its anti-piracy game. [FStoppers via Peta Pixel]"

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 28, 2014 at 1:21:25 am

The bad news is, Piracy cannot be stopped.
No matter the software, the security, the protection,
the frequent online checks, ilok, subscriptions, online authorization,
they can all be cracked. Yes, all of Adobe's CC 2014 Software are already
cracked and online in Pirated forums and working well without the
need for any online connectivity.
The more you fight it and make a software crack-proof, the more it
will be pirated....that's a given!

Film Maker & VFX Artist.
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jun 28, 2014 at 1:03:16 pm

I don't get the reaction to Sony and their games, though. Being able to rent games cheaply seems like a godsend compared to spending $60 on a game. Not to mention all the other ways developers and publishers sell games for that much and then skimp on content or make you wait for downloadable patches to fix known bugs.

What I see gamers objecting to in games is microtransactions, meaning you buy a game or download a free game, but in order to continue the game forces you to buy with actual money an item or passage to advance in the game. EA seems to have been doing it a lot.

Here's a video about it (from one of my favorite YouTubers):

That seems like ransomware in games.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 29, 2014 at 4:31:02 am

Im not really venting much on the gaming approach of it. But dont be
fooled Angelo... All that can go south real fast!

Film Maker & VFX Artist.
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
Update: Re: Someone else falling over the Rental Cliff
on Jul 24, 2014 at 4:36:51 pm

"ON MARCH 18th Adobe published its latest quarterly results, showing net income of $47m, down by 28% on a year earlier. It was the fifth quarter in a row in which the maker of professional graphics software, such as Photoshop and Illustrator, had reported a sharp drop in year-on-year earnings."

Full article from Economist.com

Five quarters with lower earnings - sounds like my predictions are coming true. Expect layoffs in 1Q15.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]