FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up the format of my video

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie Lynn
Setting up the format of my video
on Jun 26, 2014 at 6:45:09 pm

I recently switched from Studio 10 to Pro 12. I not have much knowledge when it comes to formatting my vids. I liked the way it looked on my studio version and so I never needed to experiment with it. I am just working on my very first project on Pro 12 and when I started, the preview screen looked the same as I had it on Studio, so I didn't put much thought into it. There were black bars on the left and right sides of the screen. But when I did a trial rendering, it automatically set me for an HD format, but I switched it to the mp4 format I have always preferred on Studio. When I watched the rendered video, the black bars were gone and the photographs I put in were overlapping each other (they were not overlapping in the project). Is this because I took it off the HD format? And with the black bars missing, it seems like the photos should still have room to not touch each other. I have never had this issue on Studio; I had the black bars on the screen and I made it in mp4 non-HD format.

Return to posts index

john bolton
Re: Setting up the format of my video
on Jun 27, 2014 at 12:32:46 pm

What is the Media content Aspect ratio and type and what are the project settings you have?

Return to posts index

Debbie Lynn
on Jun 27, 2014 at 1:22:12 pm

Not sure if this is the info you need. Really I have know very little about this stuff. :(

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jun 27, 2014 at 1:49:31 pm

So your project is set for 640x480 ratio. I guess this was set by the first image you dropped onto the time line. What is your final intention of Aspect ratio?

Whilst I can see some still pictures on your screen what video are you also using. Is it 16:9 widescreen?

What will be the final use of your video.. Internet or DVD?

Return to posts index

Debbie Lynn
on Jun 27, 2014 at 2:19:47 pm
Last Edited By Debbie Lynn on Jun 27, 2014 at 2:22:42 pm

Yikes! I have no clue what I want the final project aspect ratio to be. As I mentioned before, whatever my Studio version was set on was good for everything I worked on, so I never bothered to learn what the other choices were or how to navigate through this stuff.

The video I have in this project is a background visual effect video, but that was put in after this change of screen came about. When I click on the effect video's properties, it says 1280x720. If I need to, can I reformat that with a converter?

What's interesting is now that I have opened the project up this morning, now the first sections I have made have the screen with no black bars on the side and the last sections have the black bars.

My primary intent is to make a DVD of this video, but it would be nice if it was Youtube compatible as well.

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jun 27, 2014 at 4:25:16 pm

Hi Debbie. If the end result is for Widescreen format ( the most common today ) then the 1280x720 is widescreen in an HD 720 progressive format. I know it starts to s bit complicated but if your media is mostly HD 1280x720 the I guess you need to set your project settings to that. When you add other media in 4x3 size then clearly you will get black bands either side on the picture unless you Zoom into it or put a blur background of the same picture behind it and zoom in on that to fill the screen. When you render it for DVD you need to select Main Concept Mpeg2 PAL for standard DVD ( SD ) ( if you are in the UK ) -- not sure where you are ....or for the internet the Sony AVC internet 1280x720.. Without knowing all of your media it is not easy to say what will be the best.... but for me.. that's what I would do////. I guess some of the other experts will hopefully be able to give you additional guidance... Regards John

Return to posts index

Debbie Lynn
on Jun 27, 2014 at 5:31:12 pm

Actually I am in the United States. I do not know if I want widescreen or not. This video is actually a "photo album" I am putting together for a family reunion. I have no idea what format to put it into that would be "compatible" with the TV's/monitors anybody will be watching it on. Which option would cause the least inconvenience for owners of the opposite technology?

Return to posts index

Debbie Lynn
on Jun 27, 2014 at 8:15:45 pm

OK... well.... I now have it on a format that I am happy with (NTSC DV 720x480), but in the project the bars are on the side again (yay!) but on the rendered vid they are on top and bottom. As you can see in the screenshot, on the right is the project and the left is the render.

The only difference I can find between project properties and render properties is that the project is set at 1.000 and the render is set for .9091 It will not let me adjust the render setting.

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jun 28, 2014 at 7:55:24 am

Hi Debbie.. I am not sure what the background image is behind the pictures but if it is on a different timeline then if you right mouse click on it and select properties and then tick the maintain Aspect ratio it should fill out.

So your Project is 4x3 NTSC...What selection are you using for the render?

Return to posts index

Debbie Lynn
on Jun 28, 2014 at 12:37:32 pm

Actually.... I am having a bit of trouble with the render now. I have it set on Sony AVC/MVC mp4 memory stick SD NSTC 2128 kpbs, which is what a friend told me she uses and her vids come out awesome and I always used the mp4 before anyway. Except she said nothing of the kpbs part of the setting. There are 3 choices for that. So I am not sure if I chose the right one. But now when I render, it stays at 0% rendered for a long time. So far I have tried a couple times with no change so I just cancel. I have not found out if it will actually start the render or how long the render would take. Now what?

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jun 28, 2014 at 12:57:29 pm

Hi Debbie. How long is the total timeline you are making?

I think you need to change your Project settings from the Internet 480-30 ( 640x480 ) to the NTSC Standard ( 720x480 - 29,970fps) and make sure the pixel aspect is 0.9091 ( NTSC DV ).

Then try to render again using the render settings you tried Memory stick SD NTSC - 2128kps which is set for the same aspect. There should be no need to adjust bit rate...

It should not take a long time to start rendering so clearly something is not right and as you have used your PC for Video editing before than I assume it should be OK .

Return to posts index

Debbie Lynn
on Jun 28, 2014 at 2:52:08 pm

The video is 3 minutes long. I tried using the property settings you suggested. 3 minutes into the render and still on 0%. And all I have in the project media window are pics, no video footage whatsoever. And I would think pics would render faster than video.

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jun 28, 2014 at 3:00:26 pm

Hi Debbie.. it is very strange...just for a test can you render in the template Mpeg-2 DVD Architect NTSC video stream. Need to try and find out what does work in order to find out what the problem may be. Your small video should only take a few minutes to render. Just for completeness , what are the specs of your computer?

Return to posts index

Debbie Lynn
on Jun 28, 2014 at 3:19:15 pm

Return to posts index

Debbie Lynn
on Jun 28, 2014 at 3:31:29 pm

Bingo! The DVD architect settings gave an immediate render and finished in just a couple minutes. But WMP will not let me play it. :(

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 28, 2014 at 3:34:40 pm

Try VLC or Media Player Classic. Both are free and can play DVD files.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 28, 2014 at 3:44:42 pm

VLC:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jun 28, 2014 at 4:10:59 pm

OK.. Download the FREE VLC player and try it with that. It is a very popular player and I use it a lot when WMP does not work..

It is at Videolan dot org

Return to posts index

Debbie Lynn
on Jun 28, 2014 at 4:27:42 pm

I can get the video to play on VLC PLayer and CyberLink PowerDVD, but there is no sound. :(

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jun 28, 2014 at 4:37:02 pm

OK that's not a problem. When you selected the DVD Architect NTSC video stream, you then need to select Customize Template. When you click Customize Template another selection box will open... at the bottom select the Audio TAB. Then towards the Top left you will see Include Audio Stream. I guess yours in Un-ticked. ... so tick it... and click OK. Then complete the render.....

Return to posts index

Debbie Lynn
on Jun 28, 2014 at 5:05:09 pm

Ok... I re-ticked the audio stream and it rendered nicely. The vid quality is awesome! Thank you so much for bearing with me so long through this ordeal. My only concerns are 1)that if I make this into a DVD, will people have any trouble getting it to play on their computers, TV/DVD players, etc? 2) If I use this format as the default for all my videos, will this format upload to youtube?

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jun 28, 2014 at 5:21:45 pm

If the quality is good then that is the actual DVD Mpeg requirement. WMP is a bit useless sometimes and nothing to do with your output video. WMP does not have the relevant Codec and VLC does. When you make a DVD from your Mpeg file it will be OK on any DVD player. I don't use Youtube that much and when I have I usually make an MP4 file 1280x720 as I still use VP 10e. In your version of VP12 there is an upload option for Youtube .. Go to FILE - top left...and select Upload to Youtube. You then get a Template you need to fill in with the relevant user name, etc, etc. If it does not look good on Youtube you can always delete it and then we need to find out what is wrong with your MP4 Render... Maybe Mike who also has giving you an input may comment. The bit that concerns me is that you can't use the Sony AVC template but if you can use the Mpeg then worry about it later////

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jul 1, 2014 at 9:14:08 am

Did you try the upload to Youtube?

Return to posts index

Debbie Lynn
on Jul 1, 2014 at 12:32:08 pm

Yes, I did. However, I did not try uploading it directly from a Vegas render. I just went to Youtube and uploaded the vid from my computer. It came off without a hitch. Thank you so much for your help and patience!

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jul 1, 2014 at 12:49:12 pm

That's great. It is always nice to know the final outcome as others may have had this problem and need a solution. I guess you will not use the MP4 options.. Regards John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]