FORUMS: list search recent posts

RX3 vs RX3 Advanced

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie King
RX3 vs RX3 Advanced
on Jun 22, 2014 at 10:39:18 pm

Hello Everyone:

I downloaded both the Advanced and Regular version of RX3 and I discovered that the difference is not particularly the features, but the quality. Although Advanced does offer additional features.

I have a few files that need repair, such as low volume recording and noisy background. I downloaded the Advanced first, and was able to get a super clean noise reduction where nothing is heard. I knew that I was more interested in the regular version due to the price difference, so I downloaded the regular version to work on the same file. It cleaned it a little, but I still hear air. When I try to do more cleaning, it affects the dialogue. Actually, I believe the Advanced has a dialogue tab in the Noise Reduction feature. It took less work hours to process this, and I am still working in the regular version, trying to get the same sound. It hasn't happened yet. Interestingly, the file that I created in the Advanced opened in the Regular when I downloaded it. Immediately, I could hear the difference. The Advanced sound was clear and crisp, but the Regular sound was a bit metallic. I made no adjustments. Since they don't allow you to save, I keep playing around with the adjustments. Sometimes closing and starting over with new settings.

I've tried a number of approaches. I normalized first and raised the gain so that I could hear everything, then I go into noise reduction to remove the background noise. In the Advanced, the dialogue never dropped, but in the regular, the volume dropped significantly, plus I still needed to do more cleaning.

Many of you here have had experiences with both. I know this is a learning curve for me. My dilemma is that since the volume of the dialogue was recorded low, when I raise the volume,the background noise gets louder also. The more I clean the lower the dialogue. I have other files where the dialogue is at a decent volume, but some of the background noise needs to be removed. That is an easier task.

Would anyone be able to suggest any alternate approaches? I also downloaded a trial of Sound Forge Pro 11, and my experience with the background noise is the same. I wish I could share an audio byte, but I can't at this time.

Many thanks.

Best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: RX3 vs RX3 Advanced
on Jun 23, 2014 at 3:29:48 am

Well, that's why its called "Advanced" Debbie (smile).

Izotope RX3 is the best in the business and although their are
other alternatives and even some would recommend alternatives
saying its just as good, its not true, nothing else out their
is gonna offer you the precision in audio cleaning as Izotope RX3.

But as its a bit expensive and you are on budget, your next best
alternative is to go with the Sony Noise Reduction Plugin
we discussed earlier....that with proper analysis and tweaking
can carry you through.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 23, 2014 at 5:19:59 pm

Hi Steve:

Thank you for the condolence. (smile).

I will try the Sony Noise Reduction plugin. I thought I downloaded it as part of Sound Forge Pro 11. I'll check.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 23, 2014 at 5:31:19 pm

Hi Steve:

Just to be clear, are you speaking of the Noise Reduction plugin that comes with Sound Forge Pro 11 or is this plugin separate from Sound Forge?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 23, 2014 at 6:04:28 pm

Yeah the same one that comes with soundforge, its the same
one that can be downloaded separately from the Sony site, which
is available for 64bit which Vegas is.... Unfortunately i dont
know why they haven't yet made Soundforge 64bit ready!

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Maker & Compositor.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:00:05 pm

Ah this is great to hear. I will download the stand a line and see if it helps. The Sound Fore is not helping much in this particular situation. Maybe because it's not 64 bit. Thank you, best Debbie

Return to posts index

Kevin McCarthy
on Jun 24, 2014 at 1:48:11 pm
Last Edited By Kevin McCarthy on Jun 24, 2014 at 1:49:34 pm

Debbie

You are making a BIG mistake by normalizing first. That brings up the noise floor and then the noise reduction is trying to remove 5 "pounds" of noise instead of 5 "ounces"

The noise reduction programs will analyze the noise floor without having to normalize. It will hear the noise even if you can't. Also, make sure you are analyzing a portion of your track that has no dialog otherwise it will be removing dialog as well as noise.

Normalizing should be the last thing you do to an audio file.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:59:26 pm

Good pointer Kevin, Don't Normalize first!

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Maker & Compositor.
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Brad Leigh
Re: X3 vs RX3 Advanced
on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:55:36 pm

Our studio has the new version of rx3 on all 4 of our computers. We have had excellent results with denoise. Never felt the need for advanced. Are you changing the settings to highest quality? Are you learning on a good section of just the noise for analaysis ?
Brad

i7 2600 3.4 Ghz 8Gig Ram , Win 7 Pro, Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 25, 2014 at 12:50:37 am

Hi Brad:

I seem to be getting a little better with it. Actually the entire clip is noisy because I had to normalize in order to hear the dialogue which was recorded low. Now I am trying to clean the noise up. I still hear a little, but I admit nothing else I've tried matches. It is set on Best Quality. My dilemma is that the dialogue has many highs and lows; not even. So there are places where I need to raise the dialogue but not everywhere. When I do this I end of with noise in those areas and can't reduce it enough for a smooth transition. This is what I am working on now. I am using the trial version and I do like it.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 25, 2014 at 1:07:38 am
Last Edited By Debbie King on Jun 25, 2014 at 1:11:07 am

Hi Kevin and Steve:

My dilemma is that when I used the denoiser without normalizing, I still didn't hear the dialogue, although the file did quiet down considerably. Then when I normalized after, it appeared that all of my work to quiet the clip was in vain, because I heard the noise again.

I didn't have this problem when I tried the Advanced, because it had a dialogue tab for me to work with. I was able to raise the dialogue.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 25, 2014 at 1:24:46 am

I just went back in and selected an area without dialogue and it cleaned up a lot. When I normalized it, it raised the dialogue and it was still clean.

Thank you Brad, Kevin and Steve.

Best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 26, 2014 at 11:42:29 am

You're Welcome....

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Maker & Compositor.