FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building new computer specifically for Video Editing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Smith
Building new computer specifically for Video Editing
on Jun 17, 2014 at 3:22:55 pm

Well, I tired of the time it takes to render on my I5 Dell laptop. I can do most editing OK, but rendering is just insane. Each hockey game takes over 14 hours, and I just need a quicker turn around time.

I've been looking all over the place, and reading posts here. Lots of posts talk about it. I would like a portable solution (laptop) but not sure if I could significantly cut down render time even with a more robust laptop. Any advice on the best laptop would be great.

As for desktop, I need a good workstation. I found a youtube video of a great system someone built, but don't know if it's overkill. It's located at

Any help would be appreciated. Haven't built a system in over 6 years, so I'm not real current on new hardware and what specifically Vegas Pro or Corel Videostudio would need. I can use either, but mostly use Vegas right now.

Thanks for any advice.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
Re: Building new computer specifically for Video Editing
on Jun 18, 2014 at 4:32:38 am

In video editing, there is no overkill.
It's actually easier to BYO PC today than six years ago. Mostly in the case design and the only card you'll need is the GPU. I have the Corsair case in this video and it's perfect for me.

Except for overclocking and fancy mouse, the video describes a pretty good system. I decided to just use the stock fan that came with the CPU because I never overclock my editing PC - just too risky since editing, especially rendering, is CPU intensive.

Vegas benefits most from
1) Fast processor
2) More memory. It's cheap and 32Gb of RAM provides a lot of Shift-B preview time.

SSD - Your opinion may vary. I use SSD for my O/S and installed programs, and a 2Tb HDD for my libraries and temp files. I tried an SSD for my editing projects, and couldn't see much improvement.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Roger Smith
on Jun 18, 2014 at 5:26:06 am

Thanks! So the Computer in the video is pretty current? I went with exactly his parts I would not be going wrong, right? It's a moderately priced rig, so it's something I could swing. I'd do two monitors and probably the more current CPU if something has come out recently.

As for Laptop, I will probably just get a high end I7 with an Nvidia video card, max the RAM, and put SSD's in for OS and Storage.

I'm planning on getting a 1 or 2 TB USB 3.0 Portable drive for each team I'm doing videos for just to have all their raw videos in one location, easily moved if I'm working at different places. Or I could get a 5 disk RAID array. Haven't researched that real in depth yet.

Thanks for the reply though!!

Roger

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jun 18, 2014 at 3:27:04 pm

Unless someone else has more recent information, I would stick with the specified GPU. The newest GPU runs the risk of not being compatible with Vegas (yet).

I can't imagine the constraints of using only one monitor. I have three on my editing station. The one on the left is where I open random Windows as needed, such as notepad or Photoshop. The middle screen is my timeline, and the right screen is my preview and other undocked Vegas tools.

I also use external drives, but USB2 is fast enough for my work (HDV).

Most of the time, I find myself working on a local HDD, then archiving the project to an external HDD.

I wrote a batch file (MakeDriveB.bat) that I run on my external drives, so you don't have to worry about Windows randomly changing your external drives' letter assignment. It will always be drive B:.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Roger Smith
on Jun 18, 2014 at 4:37:04 pm

Excellent advice.

I couldn't live with 2.0 speed. Each camera records about 15G per game, and it's 2-4 cameras per. Even wired gigabit Ethernet is time consuming.

What is supposed to be the fastest transfer rate for external storage? Thunderbolt, usb 3.0, FireWire, or cat 6 wired?? That would be good info since I'm just building by storage.

Thanks for all you guys help!!

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jun 18, 2014 at 5:25:46 pm

You're looking at the wrong end of the equation. Your disk storage can be rated at 1Tb per second, but if the NLE doesn't need more than 25MB/s - it's wasted capacity.

I edit HDV multicamera footage on external USB2 drives, and there's no problems.

That said, if you ever plan to edit 4K or RAW formats, you will need the higher speeds.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Roger Smith
on Jun 18, 2014 at 6:07:30 pm

I guess I'm just talking about the tanner rate for storing and moving files, not working with files from an external source. All files I'm working with should be on the internal storage for editing and rendering, shouldn't they? And what does NLE stand for?

I don't like how grainy the closeups are in 1080, so I am going to start filming in 1440 or 2700, but then I have to deal with the medium and wide view distortion. That didn't look to great when filming sporting events.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jun 18, 2014 at 8:04:29 pm

What's puberty (Tanner Rate) got to do with data storage?
Anyway, as I said, I edit locally and archive on external drives. In the case of updates, I just edit off the external drive.

Grainy? Only if you are using digital zoom or zooming in with Track Zoom or event pan-crop.

NLE = Non Linear Editor

Steve

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Roger Smith
on Jun 19, 2014 at 3:09:43 am

I hate auto correct!!! Anyway, I recently put a 256GB SSD in my I5 laptop, and just got around to reinstalling Sony Vegas Pro 12 and rendering about a 23 minute video 1080p gopro video, and it is estimating 2:56 hrs. I think that's a great improvement from before! SSDs must make a big difference.

I also found an article that pretty much says any i7 mobile processor is in no way comparable to even an i3 desktop processor. I was hoping to get good performance from a laptop. Is it going to be possible?

Just pixeling when I pan and zoom the video on goals and such. That's what I'm hoping will improve by filming in 1440 or 2700. An example is here:

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jun 19, 2014 at 3:52:27 am

That zoom was done in the camera so the edit didn't compromise the original resolution. When you zoom in on the timeline, you are throwing away video data.

I'm not sure why the i7 Mobile processor would be any slower than a desktop, except that in a laptop the processor will get very hot. The CPU will slow down to cool itself off. But I would not use a laptop for editing (just a personal preference).

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

David Norman
on Jun 19, 2014 at 8:52:28 am

i7 on a laptop is nothing like an i7 on a desktop... not even really the same CPU..... Heck most i7 notebooks are dual-core with hyper-threading and not even quad core. My Dell XPS 15 has a true quad-core i7 and it is about 1/2 the speed of my 2 generations old i7 3770k in my desktop.

Intel just refreshed CPUs to the 4790 and it is THE CPU to get for high performance without killing the wallet. http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor--BX80646I74790K/dp/B00K...

Sure the Ivy-E 6 or 8 core will outperform a quad-core or even the more expensive E5-2600 series Xeon CPUs, but for most things the 4790 will do very well.

The new Crucial MX100 512mb SSD is $200 so... yeah get 3 of them and put 2 in RAID 0 and then use 1 as a render to drive :) for $600 you have performance and storage size that $2k would have cost a year ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX100-adapter-Internal-CT512MX100SSD1/dp/B00K...

As for GPU, unfortunately it is not as important as I or most here would like, unless you go with a high end workstation GPU Vegas render times and preview window performance just doesnt change much with a more expensive GPU

That being said the R9 290x does a good job and then you can play some games with your monster rig at some point :) (oh and they have fallen in price recently.... thanks to the fall of coin mining)

I have 32gb of RAM and never use it all.... but it isnt that expensive so.... yeah why not

Make sure you have a good quality PSU 700w or more with this type of rig. Powerful CPU and GPU combo = lots of watts

Then concider your monitor. I would love to edit on a 4k display for added screen room (I use 3 23" 1080p monitors and it works well) or one of the ultrawide displays.

Contour Shuttle Pro has made the biggest difference (hardware wise) out of any upgrade I have done in terms of speeding up my workflow

best of luck.... and building a PC is a lot of fun! [H]ardforum (hardform.com) is a great resource for building a PC

Dell XPS 15" 9350 i7, 512gb SSD, Nvidia 750m
Intel i7 4770, R9 290, 32gb, 2xRAID0 Intel 240gb SSD, 2x2TB WD Green, 3x23" Samsung LCDs
http://youtube.com/adidas4275

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jun 19, 2014 at 12:50:50 pm
Last Edited By Angelo Mike on Jun 19, 2014 at 12:59:54 pm

I'm wondering if I should upgrade or just build a new computer. The first thing I want is a new graphics card, since I only got my cheap, Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 so I could take advantage of GPU acceleration in Vegas 11 (my Radeon was listed as compatible with Vegas 11 yet it never recognized it).

But if I'm going to do that, I'm wondering if I should get a new CPU and more RAM. Or a new motherboard altogether (this can only take up to 24 GB DDR3 RAM). Or would more RAM at least make a difference for me until I do a full upgrade? Here's a screencap of my specs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]