FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feature film formatting problems: render and dvd burning questions- need guidance

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Callisto Nerezza
Feature film formatting problems: render and dvd burning questions- need guidance
on Jun 17, 2014 at 5:21:38 am

Thank you for taking your time and knowledge to assist me. I have never used a forum before so please forgive any failed etiquette on my part.

I am in the final stages of a feature length independent film. I am an artist. The technical side of things is extremely difficult for me but I have come a long way in this project. And now at the end, I've hit a road block.

I used a Nikon d3100 to record the entire film. Using a lame HP tower to edit, I split the film into chapters for editing and rendering. I never expected the film to be so long so each render has been "main concept internet 1080" (paraphrase). I have used Sony Vegas Pro 12 for the entire project.

My chapters came out fine individually. I then opened a new Vegas project and put them all together and did my best to render them into one. I tried two different mpeg2 renders down to 720 (from my shooting settings which were 1080-23p) One of them looked okay in playback on Vegas but both have problems once I burn it on dvd (using "free video to dvd converter"). On an older tv, the image is okay but the edges are cut off on both sides to the point that you can't read the opening credits correctly. On an flat screen, the whole movie has a strange, overexposed look and still has the cut off edge problem.

I am nearing my wits end. I have no help. It's all up to me and I can't abandon this project I have invested so much of myself into. My Hp now has a horrible virus(s) that has disabled my kapersky and it's only a matter of time before it will have to be taken in. I am trying to get this dvd out for festivals, etc before that happens.

I know there are more details I could give but I don't know where to start. Project settings? First render settings? Second render settings? Dvd burn process? Any and all guidance is so so appreciated. Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Feature film formatting problems: render and dvd burning questions- need guidance
on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:23:41 am

[Callisto Nerezza] "I know there are more details I could give but I don't know where to start. Project settings? First render settings? Second render settings? Dvd burn process? Any and all guidance is so so appreciated. "
Yup... that's the information we need. I'm guessing the problem is between your MainConcept Internet renders and the DVD render. Let's start backward. Post the Project Settings and Render Template Settings for the final project that renders to DVD and let's see if that's where the problem is introduced.

You can post screenshots right here at the COW using the Image Upload button above the post editing area:

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Callisto Nerezza
Re: Feature film formatting problems: render and dvd burning questions- need guidance
on Jun 18, 2014 at 1:49:55 am

Thank you for your prompt response, John! I am not sure how to do a screenshot so hopefully these specs will suffice.

Project properties (I have my seven rendered HD internet files ready to be rendered into final render for DVD. They each have the same properties.):

HD 1080-24p (1920x1080, 23.976 fps) - template

Full resolution rendering quality set to: Best
Audio: Best

Within the MPEG2 render options, only 1 matches my project settings:

Blueray 1920x1080-24p, 25 Mbps video stream.

Do I disregard this recommendation and go with NTSC? If so, what settings should I use. I found a bit rate calculator which I downloaded to help. Not sure if it will.

Another important note: I spent all morning with Geek Squad today having them remotely remove the virus from my computer. Internet was completely corrupted and useless. Things seem to be operating properly now. One small relief.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 18, 2014 at 4:42:06 pm

[Callisto Nerezza] "Do I disregard this recommendation and go with NTSC? If so, what settings should I use. I found a bit rate calculator which I downloaded to help. Not sure if it will."
The easy way is to use: Tools | Burn Disc | DVD... Done!

The hard way is to render your video using MainConcept MPEG-2 with the DVD Architect 24p NTSC Widescreen video stream template. Then render the audio using Dolby Digital AC-3 with the Stereo DVD template. Then find a DVD Authoring program that can accept those two files and burn them to DVD.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]