FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long rendering times in vegas pro 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cavallaro
Long rendering times in vegas pro 13
on Jun 15, 2014 at 1:18:56 am

Hi all, im kind of a bit of a Vegas pro newbie, haven't used it in a while but now I'm back. My question is, Im looking at rendering small clips, usually 3-5 minutes long, (which will be only ever played back thru iTunes on a PC with Windows) on another laptop. I don't need hi res, as the projector output is standard defitition.
My question is, when I render a 3-5 minute clip, it seems to take around 7 hours to render. Is this normal?

My laptop is an Intel i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHZ with 8 gig of ram.
currently running Windows 7 pro and Vegas pro 13
Graphics card is an NVIDIA Geforce GT 630m 2 gig

Im trying to work out how to take a screen shot of my seetings, which is proving difficult, but im currently using the quicktime setting, with a customised template.
Im using the Pal/DV standard (as we use Pal her in Australia, set to 25 frames.
Field order is None (progressive scan)
Pixel ratio 1.000
Video format Avid DNxHD codec
Compressed depth is 24 bpp colour
At a quality of 65 %
Audio is uncompressed, as we use theses videos for our bands live performances, and I don't want to degrade the audio in anyway.
Can any of you tell me if theses settings are ok for my needs? I really want the video to look great quality wise.
Also, most projectors (that we connect our pc to for displaying the said videos) are still 4:3.

Thanks in advance :)

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Long rendering times in vegas pro 13
on Jun 15, 2014 at 2:56:16 pm

7 hours to render a 3-5 minute clip is definitely not normal.
What kind of FX are you using on the video?
Using the Avid codec is overkill for an SD video.
I'm not impressed with the iTunes player either.
You can render to DV-AVI and use Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic or VLC as your player and put less stress on your laptop. I've done this several times and it works great. The picture and sound quality holds up very well too.

Return to posts index

Michael Cavallaro
on Jun 15, 2014 at 10:08:34 pm

Hi Mike,

Im not using any fx at all, just a short clip of static images. The reason we use iTunes is:
Because the videos are for our bands live performances, the audio is a click track for our drummer, which he uses to keep time, and the video is just sent off to a projector which we use to show our website or certain pieces of video footage for some songs. ITunes works great on our PC because it allows us to do a different volume setting per song in the playlist, and also allows you to set a time where the song can be started from or ended at. Which is perfect for us because if one particular audio track is too loud, we can set it in the options to play softer or louder, and if we want to start the songs 20 seconds into the actual clip it can be done all in the playlist.
We have yet to fid a program that could do this for us, windows media cant, so this is why we prefer iTunes. Could you pls maybe suggest a better custom render setting for iTunes videos perhaps? I woujld just prefer to render in a .MOV format, as sometimes if we ever use another format, sometimes the video clips can jump mid way, which throws the drummer out of time. Bad for a gig!
Thanks in advance :)

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 16, 2014 at 11:10:02 am

Michael, I see why you prefer to use iTunes.
Try using either the Sony or MainConcept Internet templates for mp4 format which any Apple device can play easily. I do this for the marketing department at the college I work for to be used on their iPads. Odds are that you'll need to customize it to get the exact size you want but this is very easy to do and can be saved for future use.

Return to posts index

Michael Cavallaro
on Jun 16, 2014 at 11:47:11 pm

Thanks Mike, would you suggest that I use the following still:

Pixel ratio 1.000

?

Return to posts index

Michael Cavallaro
on Jun 17, 2014 at 1:50:07 am

Also, I am finding when I do a reboot of my laptop, the render speed does increase dramatically...

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:36:58 am

[Michael Cavallaro] "Also, I am finding when I do a reboot of my laptop, the render speed does increase dramatically..."

I've noticed the same thing when I rebooot my desktop machine. It seems to blow out the temp files and anything else not really needed. I usually do this before I do a render.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:35:24 am

[Michael Cavallaro] "Thanks Mike, would you suggest that I use the following still:

Pixel ratio 1.000"

In this case I would make sure that my render settings matched my project settings. If that's what they are, then use them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]