FORUMS: list search recent posts

Free plug ins SVP11

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris evans
Free plug ins SVP11
on Jun 14, 2014 at 11:12:03 am

I have downloaded a few free plug in text and colour correction packages from youtube which are pretty good, but I am looking for a few more to play with.

I have read about some of them and they are quite expensive for someone who isn't using them to make money. For me, it's just a hobby with no income.

Are there any packages that you recommend? Free or free for non commercial use?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Free plug ins SVP11
on Jun 14, 2014 at 5:00:13 pm

SVP has very good color correction tools built in including the color correctors and color curves. I'm guessing there are tutorials around which can show you how to use them. You will need a calibrator to insure that your monitor is accurately displaying colors, but you should have that no matter what if you are doing color correction. I have the Spyder 4 Elite and I have been very satisfied with it. Also, especially when using color curves, a knowledge of color theory is extremely helpful to get the best results.

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Jun 14, 2014 at 11:07:33 pm

Bob in reply to what you said or anyone please, I am a newbie to video editing and Sony vegas pro 12 etc.

my question is With doing any Colour correction should one alter any contrast and brilliance FIRST to clips that may need etc using whatever plugins... and THEN go onto to do colour correction would that be the right order to do it or does it not matter?

So last thing or first thing BEFORE any colour correction in other words?

(and I presume one may have to go back to contrast and brilliance adjustments anyway ONCE colour correction is applied for final adjustments to contrast and brilliance?

***and the term 'colour grading is that same thing as colour correction or not really?

and what do people tend to use to get the neat various cinematic look and a good typical sequence of using whatever plugins/presets in SVP to do this and their logical order....
(I also have magic bullet looks latest and many new blue fxs yet to use! If you want to mention some of those)

yes I know there are useful vids tutorials how to use plugins and colour corrections etc I was more
interested -in logical correct sequences in doing so use this first then this and the brilliance or contrast etc question thing thrown in as mentioned...

Thank you
Jenny

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on Jun 15, 2014 at 1:00:30 pm

Jenny,

I am still learning my way around colour correction and grading, so whilst it can be frustrating, once you get to understand what is happening the results can be very rewarding.

I used to play about the contrast and brightness a lot, and to be honest, I know now that this is not the way to go (usually). Stay away from them as much as possible.

The two plugs-ins I would start to learn are the Sony Colour Curves and the Levels ones. Both are native plug-ins so you don't need to purchase any commercial ones yet.

You can achieve dramatic improvements with the Curves plug-in alone.

Then have a look at the color corrector and secondary color corrector.

I really suggest that you search the COW for colour correction (curves) - some of John Rofrano's answers and links to tutorials are invaluable for learning.

http://www.glennchan.info/articles/articles.html

These tutorials are a little more technical, but give a real insight into why - I have learnt so much by working through them several times - it is worth it.

There are plenty of commercial plug-ins which you may want to consider in the future, but if you can get your head around how the native ones work, then it becomes much easier to figure out what it is best to purchase in the future (or not purchase, if you have what you need in the native ones)

Also, for me certainly, you never stop learning about this stuff. (in fact it eats up your time, but that's why we do this - isn't it??)

STBO

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Jun 15, 2014 at 2:20:54 pm

Thanks Stewart for your take on it and getting back to me...yes totally new to all this (video editing and vegas)

I have seen a number of video tutorials youtube etc how to use colour correctors plugins sony vegas ( and prem pro which I have as well) very useful....

That said, I have noticed colour correction in and of itself seems it is a very subjective Personal thing for ones final look - and people go about it in totally different ways and their happy final look they like etc.

****Of course one can use the various useful scopes/graphics you can call up as you correct that help and keep you from over doing things within scope ideal boundaries to not go over board and do proper colour managemen -again very useful tools those scopes!

And I will also ask John's thoughts /approach on it as per some of what I asked originally as he has been really kind and so helpful with a couple of newbie things the last two days a top guy and knows his stuff as you said!

many thanks for your input
Jenny

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 15, 2014 at 3:16:08 pm

I don't remember all of your questions, but let me give it a try. First, you have to use the tools and observe what they do to decide what to use when and where. My guess is that, if brightness is way off (for me, one camera seems to always be too dark), it is reasonable to use brightness/contrast as a gross adjustment. If you do use it, keep in mind that you will probably want to use BOTH brightness and contrast to preserve a good image. Also, brightness levels will change color saturation, so you have to be aware of that effect. Second, the Color Correcter can deal with white balance problems if you have white, neutral gray (or best guess), and black in the video image. Sample the color with the complementary color adjustment. I have seen the Color Correcter dramatically alter an image, but its effects are usually fairly subtle. The Color Correcter II is very good at adjusting things like saturation. Fine adjustments are made with the Color Curves. You can select which of the three primaries you want to adjust, and, by picking the right point on the curve, you can be very accurate with the adjustment. You can also limit the range of the adjustment by adding points to the curve and adjusting accordingly. You MUST know how the three primary colors mix to form other colors so that you can adjust the correct primary colors. It is also very useful to know where a color you wish to adjust falls on the color curve. I learn this by snapshotting the image and bringing it into Photoshop. The color curve in Photoshop (I use CS6) will show you where a color occurs on the curve. Also, remember that color curves can boost or cut luminance, or they can maintain neutrality by increasing one color while reducing another. This is another area where you must think in terms of how the primary colors produce all of the other colors.

I suspect color correction and color grading are basically the same thing. It is simply a matter of what words are used to describe the process. If the two concepts are different, I would love to see someone explain the differences.

I hope that helps a bit.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Jun 15, 2014 at 4:14:34 pm

PS: Photoshop is also extremely valuable to tell you how much of each primary color is used to produce the color you are trying to adjust. Again, a snapshot is used.

Also, when correcting, view the image on your primary intended display. Different devices will display colors in different ways, so you need to view and adjust the image on the target device. It should not be this way, but, unfortunately, it is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]