FORUMS: list search recent posts

Many DVDA questions about using different formats etc

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gregory
Many DVDA questions about using different formats etc
on Jun 14, 2014 at 3:45:13 am

When creating a Blu-ray disc I understand that its possible to have either AVC or MPEG2 files.

Can you have both in the same project & can the files be of different resolutions either as is or could you achieve this by having each different type on a different menu?

Since we are trying to avoid re rendering what happens about interlacing? I may be wrong but I thought older files were created lower field first and newer files are upper field first. Does this create a problem?

The reason that I'm asking all this is because we know that Blu-ray disk hold a lot more data than SD disks. Also that the newer AVC codec is much more efficient that the older MPEG2 standard that we that we used to use.

If all of these things can come together when I should be able to create a new Blu-ray that contains the content of many old family SD DVD's. This may even allow me to consolidate many older family DVD's onto one Blu-ray. Just how much I have no idea. Does anyone know?

Another idea is to take the best part of all our previous travel DVD's & have them all on 1 disc.

I know that I am able to open the old DVD's & import directly from the older DVD's video_TS ifo file & this will even have the original chapter markers. This should make creating new menus quicker & easier since I'm guessing that this will still be necessary. Correct?

Most of the older DVD's were 4x3 ratio although some are 16x9. I suspect that if they get onto a Blu-ray that has both types of files, that the older files would play on a Blu-ray player widescreen but with black borders at either side.

Any information re my questions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Many DVDA questions about using different formats etc
on Jun 14, 2014 at 12:22:39 pm

[Paul Gregory] "When creating a Blu-ray disc I understand that its possible to have either AVC or MPEG2 files. "
Yes, or VC1 but no one uses that Microsoft format.
[Paul Gregory] "Can you have both in the same project & can the files be of different resolutions either as is or could you achieve this by having each different type on a different menu?"
Yes, you can mix any resolutions you want from SD to HD.
[Paul Gregory] "Since we are trying to avoid re rendering what happens about interlacing? I may be wrong but I thought older files were created lower field first and newer files are upper field first. Does this create a problem?"
Interlacing is taken care of for you. The Blu-ray player will sense which field is first and do the right thing. You don't have to worry about this.
[Paul Gregory] "If all of these things can come together when I should be able to create a new Blu-ray that contains the content of many old family SD DVD's. This may even allow me to consolidate many older family DVD's onto one Blu-ray. Just how much I have no idea. Does anyone know?"
Each single layer 25MB Blu-ray disc can hold up to 5 DVD's worth of video.
[Paul Gregory] "I know that I am able to open the old DVD's & import directly from the older DVD's video_TS ifo file & this will even have the original chapter markers. This should make creating new menus quicker & easier since I'm guessing that this will still be necessary. Correct?"
I'm not sure about chapter markers, but File | Import | DVD Camcorder Disc will import your DVD as MPEG2.
[Paul Gregory] "Most of the older DVD's were 4x3 ratio although some are 16x9. I suspect that if they get onto a Blu-ray that has both types of files, that the older files would play on a Blu-ray player widescreen but with black borders at either side."
That's correct.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Jun 15, 2014 at 1:38:22 am

Thanks for that information.

A follow up but related question if I may. I know how to get files from an old DVD as explained above but can the same trick or another one be done with Blu-rays?

I always reckon that you can't have too many copy's/backups of your old DVDs just in case something goes missing. I have found that many of my Blu-rays aren't anywhere near there total capacity so it might be good when making a new project to include an old one on the same disk for just in case.

As for importing older DVDs through Vegas for inclusion onto a newer Blu-ray project the procedure whereby you use the Video_TS ifo file it says that chapter markers are retained. It might be nice to also include the original screen menus from the DVDs but the only way I can think to do this would be to do some sort of screen capture of the original. This picture would then be the new background in DVDA onto which you can drag your files onto & you could make the button locations coincide with what was on the background. Unless you have an easier way?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 15, 2014 at 1:51:15 am

[Paul Gregory] "I know how to get files from an old DVD as explained above but can the same trick or another one be done with Blu-rays?"
Not that I know of with Vegas. If you notice, the option is for reading camcorder discs that are shot on DVD. Since there are no Blu-ray camcorders I doubt Sony will ever add this option. Blu-ray is a bit easier because it doesn't make VOB files. If you look at the file structure of the disc, there will be a STREAM folder that will have .MTS files in it. These should drop right back onto the Vegas Pro timeline as long as the disc isn't copy protected.
[Paul Gregory] "the only way I can think to do this would be to do some sort of screen capture of the original. This picture would then be the new background in DVDA onto which you can drag your files onto & you could make the button locations coincide with what was on the background. Unless you have an easier way?"
No. The menu are actually VOB video files themselves so you would ned to capture them as you suggested.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]