FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Workflow advice please for new Laptop

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jenny gold
Vegas Workflow advice please for new Laptop
on Jun 14, 2014 at 1:16:38 am

Hi
I am a newbie to video editing I have sony vegas pro 12 ( and new laptop see specs for it below) I will be using mostly editing typical footage being talk to camera indoors and out doors and the camera uses the .mts files / avchd. (Or sometimes another vid camera uses mp4 files

**Now there will be some usual colour corrections clean up, and transitions etc used here and there on clips and so forth some foortage may at times use a few fx plugins

***Note final Footage is for websites and promo etc and /or youtube***

Ok a new laptop is on its way! (very excited)

***And I wondered if I can be guided please*** for a good set up to use for sony vegas workflow...
i.e. where to have vegas software itself and then where best for the temp files, veg files and any raw footage and folder to put media assets picts, etc mp3 music sound clips

NOTE ****The laptop of which it has two hard drives 1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive

****I have and can use external hardrives usb 3 720 rpm****

spec for laptop is Toshiba Qosmio X75-A7180

• Intel Core i7 4700MQ 2.4 GHz Processor
  • 16 GB DIMM RAM
  • 1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive
  • 17.3-Inch Screen, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M

Could some also recommend a good render out final footage setting to use/choose for websites and youtube

thank you so much in advance
Jenny

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
Re: Vegas Workflow advice please for new Laptop
on Jun 14, 2014 at 5:34:50 am

First, there's two ways to do anything in Vegas. Often three or more. There is no "right" way as it really depends on the workflow that you are most comfortable with.

The workflow also depends on what kind of videos you will be producing. For me - I've never used the trimmer. (And I've been editing with Vegas well over ten years.) I prefer to simply drag my media to the timeline and edit there.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

David Norman
on Jun 14, 2014 at 6:40:10 am
Last Edited By David Norman on Jun 14, 2014 at 9:16:57 pm

i have a dell XPS 15 with similar specs and vegas movie studio 11/12/13 and Vegas Pro 12/13 and it works fine enough. You wont get "best full" on the preview window after adding event FX or transitions but that is okay.

I would put all your working files on the SSD and backup or long term storage on the spinning disk. There is no way having any media on the HDD is going to speed up your workflow

Get a USB3.0 SD card reader and use it rather than the USB 2.0 out from the camera and get the fastest SD cards you can afford.... Whenever I do a real project that has multiple cameras and is all day I am shooting about 100gb of HD content a day. So moving things around takes a while.

You might look into setting up proxy files to work with if this is your main editing machine.

I personally only do quick edits, small jobs or temparary onsite previews with my laptop and then move the media and vegas file to my desktop and do the real work there.

Also get a good mouse and or a shuttle contour pro, those help me a ton when editing on a laptop.

these are just my suggestions based on my own limited experience

here are a couple jobs I have done:

Sports:

Dell XPS 15" 9350 i7, 512gb SSD, Nvidia 750m
Intel i7 4770, R9 290, 32gb, 2xRAID0 Intel 240gb SSD, 2x2TB WD Green, 3x23" Samsung LCDs
http://youtube.com/adidas4275

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Jun 14, 2014 at 6:52:07 pm

Still none the wiser here sorry!
as to what might be a good useful workflow hard drives set up,
GIVEN what options I have mentioned I have available as in my original post.....

(I have explained what videos I will produce... i.e. talk to camera mostly for website and / youtube and raw files being .mt files or maybe mp4 at times)

Ok I am a total newbie and replies need to be layman terms language here folks....

My guess is I have the software itself sony vegas (and indeed whatever software all should go on the 256GB solid state drive....

And I presume actual video raw files and output form sony vegas it produces (temp files, project veg files) or indeed any media that may be used such as background music, images etc get stored and put into folders that make sense to me.... on the the other SECOND hard drive of the laptop (the 1000gb)

OR should I use as I have originally asked: also my other external hard drives the usb 3.0 ones I have (720rpm)

AND use a combination of BOTH the laptop second drive (1000GB) and also use external usb 3.0 hardrives

If it a good idea of using a combo of my other second on board laptop hard drive and external usb 3.0

***my question is so what files with sony vegas would go where for each drive (the laptop second on board 1000GB HD and the external usb 3.0)

***For in relation to The other media bits I may use and actual raw video files, the actual created project veg files (and vegas temp file folder) and the final render file itself when it is creating and doing this - what hard drive to set that to?

thanks
Jenny

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 14, 2014 at 9:02:17 pm

[jenny gold] "my question is so what files with sony vegas would go where for each drive (the laptop second on board 1000GB HD and the external usb 3.0)"
I would install Vegas Pro on the SSD drive where I assume your OS is installed. Personally, I would do all of my editing on an external 1TB USB 3.0 drives. You will get faster response time from an external 7200RPM USB 3.0 drive than the slower 5400RPM internal 1TB drive in your laptop but you could also use the internal 1TB drive as long as the performance is acceptable. Finally render everything to MainConcept AVC using the Internet HD 720p template for web delivery.
[jenny gold] "For in relation to The other media bits I may use and actual raw video files, the actual created project veg files (and vegas temp file folder) and the final render file itself when it is creating and doing this - what hard drive to set that to?"
Just make a folder for each project and put all of your media and other assets in it. I like to keep video, music, images, etc. in separate subfolders under the main project folder. I also make a Render folder that I keep the rendered files in. I leave the project .veg in the root of the project folder along with any production notes. Vegas will make it's temp files on the SSD where it is installed which is fine but I would change it to point to the system temp folder.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

David Norman
on Jun 14, 2014 at 9:20:39 pm
Last Edited By David Norman on Jun 15, 2014 at 4:14:35 am

i think she would get better render times if he had all of his media on the SSD and just moved it to a hard drive for storage after editing.

the single ssd is going to have faster response time even with reading and writing to the same drive the OS is on than a hard drive will have.

If it were me, i would replace the internal hard drive with a 2nd SSD, there is that new 512gb SSD (Crucial) that is $199. It is not the fastest drive but it is much faster than any hard drive and would make a great source drive to store media on.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1821226

I personally would not use any hard drive for any files that are in use by vegas for a render job, only for storage.

Intel i7 4770, R9 290, 32gb, 2xRAID0 Intel 240gb SSD, 2x2TB WD Green, 3x23" Samsung LCDs

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Jun 14, 2014 at 10:39:18 pm

Thanks David...interesting thoughts..maybe do everything on the SSD then move it I can experiment with your idea and Johns....

But a lot cleaner and wiser howto do it all now

Don't want to start getting involved though buy another internal hard drive for this laptop at this point already spent almost 2k on all this new laptop and external HD etc. Not even arrived yet...!!

And I need to the laptop as I travel world wide and live various places
*** by the way he is a she..... I am Jenny!

Return to posts index

David Norman
on Jun 15, 2014 at 4:23:26 am

updated my post to reflect (She) sorry bad habit.

I understand not wanting to spend more money and the internal drive will be nice for long term storage.

You will get good performance using the SSD by itself, i know I do on my laptop.

look forward to seeing some of your work! :)
Best of luck

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Jun 15, 2014 at 4:38:09 am

Thanks David....I will experiment with using what you said workflow good of you to help advice much appreciated!

Jenny

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jun 15, 2014 at 10:18:59 pm

"i think she would get better render times if he had all of his media on the SSD and just moved it to a hard drive for storage after editing."

The OP is asking about web videos. Probably just two or three minutes ling. I find it hard to justify putting the media and rendering on the SSD just to save a few seconds at render time.

OP-
Put the O/S on the SSD

Put the programs on the internal HDD. Sure, they will take a few more milliseconds to load and run, but space on the SSD is limited. Is it really worth the effort to get Vegas to load in fifteen seconds rather than 20? After it's loaded and running, you won't see any difference.

Use the external drive for your projects. I do this all the time over USB2 drives. When I use USB3, a two hour render may now take one hour and 55 minutes. The performance difference is just not that great.

On the external drive, create a folder for each project. When it comes time to backup the project, it's all there in one folder and subfolders.

In the advanced O/S things to do - move your "my documents" to the internal HDD. This folder will fill up your SSD faster than anything.

In the advanced Vegas things to do - move your temp folders to the internal HDD.

This will get you started. And please visit these forums often.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Jun 15, 2014 at 11:29:29 pm

Many thanks Stephen.

Makes a lot of sense keep all projects etc external similar to what John said and will do this. very good of you to chip in and help me.

again many thanks
Jenny

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Jun 14, 2014 at 10:29:14 pm

Bless you John nice and clear feedback how super of you!

regarding final rendering output et as a file yes, all my stuff will be for website and youtube so when I do render settings as you suggested select Main Concept AVC Internet HD 720

***Can I just check in with you regarding my saved settings as a now custom pre-set saved favourite for that and they are, I presume - correct as follows:

Match project video frame rate / set to:
allow source to adjust frame rate

field order non progressive scan
Variable bit rate 16,000
Average bps 8,000

Audio settings 48,000

is the above ok John?

I may experiment filming in a 24 frame setting on my video camera for a kind of film look - any thoughts on that and when bringing into the time line?

oh and why is my window that opens with these settings you select and chose etc to big to see the bottom of the button to ok it... I have to press enter on the key board to ok it how does one get over that so frustrating !

any ideas?

many thanks
Jenny

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 15, 2014 at 1:46:08 am

[jenny gold] "Can I just check in with you regarding my saved settings as a now custom pre-set saved favourite for that and they are, I presume - correct as follows"
Those settings look fine.
[jenny gold] "I may experiment filming in a 24 frame setting on my video camera for a kind of film look - any thoughts on that and when bringing into the time line?"
The thing to remember when shooting 24p is that you don't have a lot of frames to make things smooth so make sure that you pan very slowly. You might want to practice panning across a picket fence until you get it very smooth. Otherwise your pans might look very jerky.
[jenny gold] "oh and why is my window that opens with these settings you select and chose etc to big to see the bottom of the button to ok it... I have to press enter on the key board to ok it how does one get over that so frustrating !"
Have you changed the default Font DPI in Windows? This might make Windows that are too large or cut off. Make sure that your fonts are at 100% and not bigger.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Jun 15, 2014 at 4:43:55 am

Many thanks John for all your help and advice on this thread and other one you did etc....
much appreciated indeed!
Jenny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]