FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas 9.0/ 5.1 surround sound settings/ tutorial would be nice lol?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manuel Gomez
Sony Vegas 9.0/ 5.1 surround sound settings/ tutorial would be nice lol?
on Jun 10, 2014 at 11:21:49 pm

PLEASE HELP me out guys I'm getting very anxious for an informative response from the professionals. For those of you who are up for the challenge lets see a tutorial for the 5.1 surround sound feature located in almost every Sony Vegas Pro version. I have personally sent "John Rofrano" an Email requesting information on this topic. I've researched the Internet very thoroughly and have found very little information about this feature....why? For those of you who are willing to help me out then please shoot me an Email and I will be more than happy to provide for you specific information about the situation I am having difficulties with. PLEASE GUYS your my only hope here!!!!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Sony Vegas 9.0/ 5.1 surround sound settings/ tutorial would be nice lol?
on Jun 12, 2014 at 11:58:46 am

[Manuel Gomez] "I have personally sent "John Rofrano" an Email requesting information on this topic."
While I appreciate the email, it's better if we solve your problem here so that a) everyone gets to participate and b) everyone gets to learn. I don't do Surround mixes so I can only give you instructions from theory not experience. None of my customers have ever asked for a surround mix.
[Manuel Gomez] "I've researched the Internet very thoroughly and have found very little information about this feature....why? "
I assume not many people record live performances with 5 mics... or perhaps most people are working in Broadcast which is perfectly fine with a stereo mix. Other than feature films, there is not much call for surround. I just bought my first surround system this year and I was quite disappointed to see how little broadcast is in surround so I keep it off and only turn it on to watch DVD's.
[Manuel Gomez] "For those of you who are willing to help me out then please shoot me an Email and I will be more than happy to provide for you specific information about the situation I am having difficulties with."
Please repost all of the images you sent me so that others can see them. You can use the Add Image icon right above the message area of this forum.

I will answer some of your question in the email as if you had asked them here for the benefit of the community and to get the conversation started:

You need a minimum of 4 tracks to create 5.1 Surround Sound. A mono track panned Center, a stereo track for the Front Left/Right, a stereo track for the Rear Left/Right, and a mono LFE track. You create the LFE track by opening the surround panner and pressing the LFE button. The panner will be replaced with the letters "LFE" in the track header to let you know that the track is in LFE mode. This track will automatically be filtered to only contain low frequencies if you leave [x] Enable low-pass filter on FLE checked in your project audio properties.

A basic 5.1 Surround Sound track setup might look something like this:

Of course your project may have 20 or more audio tracks panned every which way. The point is, you will want to pan some of them to each of these locations as appropreate.

For DVD delivery you want to render your audio as Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro with the 5.1 Surround template. I believe you need Sony DVD Architect in order to get the AC-3 encoder so if you don't have that, you might not be able to achieve your goal of making surround sound DVD's.

I know you asked about WMV with surround. I never use WMV so I don't know how it does with surround. This is why you want to post your questions to the forum, so that others can help. Posting to a forum asking for private emails is frowned upon because it does't help the community grow and learn.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Manuel Gomez
on Jun 13, 2014 at 3:04:31 am

Thanks for the response

Ok so I have a basic idea as to what you have mentioned but these solution's are not in depth enough I guess for me to really have a successful outcome. My goal is to have the film and the 5.1 sound rendered as a whole as If I were making an actual film not just the sound. You mentioned something about a "A mono track panned Center" but I have no idea how to select this as a mono? At this point I would have to agree that I guess not many people are all that interested in the 5.1 surround sound feature in Sony Vegas haha! I will continue my research and my studies until I reach a final successful solution. Now If I figure this out trust me I will be sure to repost with an actual tutorial If any are interested....

Manuel Gomez

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 13, 2014 at 5:42:15 pm

[Manuel Gomez] "My goal is to have the film and the 5.1 sound rendered as a whole as If I were making an actual film not just the sound."
You will need to find a format that supports 5.1 Surround Sound in a single file then. DVD's do not support this. DVD's are created from individual video and audio streams. That is how they get multiple audio language tracks on a single DVD without having to have duplicate video.
[Manuel Gomez] "You mentioned something about a "A mono track panned Center" but I have no idea how to select this as a mono?"
The Center channel is for dialog. Most people have one mouth. The assumption is that you recorded your dialog in mono. If you recorded your dialog in stereo then right-click on the event and select Channels | Left Only to get a mono event based on the left channel.
[Manuel Gomez] "I will continue my research and my studies until I reach a final successful solution. "
I would start your research on Sony's web site. I typed "5.1. Surround" in the Sony search box and found this:

Mixing a Surround Sound Project in Vegas Pro and ACID Pro, Part I: Basic Se...

More can be found on Sony's Training and Support page.

~jr

Return to posts index

Manuel Gomez
on Jun 13, 2014 at 9:57:51 pm

Thanks for bringing it to my attention to search Sony's website and as for that article you found I beat you to the punch. Sony's website was the first place I searched by the way not being a wise guy just saying...Now as for the article the author mentioned that there would be a part two and at the end of that article he wrote "We'll also discuss the techniques involved in delivering the final 5.1 mixed file for use in your DVD or Blu-ray authoring software." Well I guess this part two never got published lol? I guess what's really upsetting after spending endless hours trying to figure this whole ordeal out I now realize I had it all figured out from my very first try! The problem I was having is that my fancy High Definition TV as well as my SONY Playstation 3 go figure won't accept the audio codec hahaha! Unbelievable how Sony can create such a beautiful software program designed with the 5.1 surround sound feature but yet their hardware won't support the file format OMG! So you can watch the file in surround sound perfectly from your computer but If I actually want to sit on my couch and enjoy a nice hot batch of butter popcorn and watch it good luck!!!

Manuel Gomez

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 13, 2014 at 10:55:17 pm

[Manuel Gomez] "The problem I was having is that my fancy High Definition TV as well as my SONY Playstation 3 go figure won't accept the audio codec hahaha! Unbelievable how Sony can create such a beautiful software program designed with the 5.1 surround sound feature but yet their hardware won't support the file format OMG! So you can watch the file in surround sound perfectly from your computer but If I actually want to sit on my couch and enjoy a nice hot batch of butter popcorn and watch it good luck!!!"
The problem you're having is the delivery vehicle for 5.1 Surround movies is DVD or Blu-ray. if you made one of those it would work perfectly.

~jr

Return to posts index

Manuel Gomez
on Jun 13, 2014 at 10:09:10 pm

Oh and John! Feature films are pretty common in this world and this is how people are capable of bringing their imaginations to life! We're living in a whole new era where DVD/Blu-Ray/Surround Sound is almost a necessity to allow us to enjoy ourselves with clarity. Without these now common opportunities life would still exist in a paperback book...EH?

Manuel Gomez

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 13, 2014 at 10:57:36 pm

[Manuel Gomez] "Oh and John! Feature films are pretty common in this world and this is how people are capable of bringing their imaginations to life! We're living in a whole new era where DVD/Blu-Ray/Surround Sound is almost a necessity to allow us to enjoy ourselves with clarity"
Well... if you made a DVD or Blu-ray you would get 5.1 Surround sound. You said you wanted to find a file format that your TV would recognize. DVD's and Blu-rays work fine. File formats... not so much.

~jr

Return to posts index

Manuel Gomez
on Jun 13, 2014 at 11:47:32 pm

BINGO! You nailed it John and I have Sony DVD Architect pro 5.0 but I haven't learned the program to well yet haha! So ya you guessed it I must go back to my studies and learn how to accomplish this part hmmmm hehehe! Sense I hate reading so much though aaaaahhh thank the Lord for youtube tutorials hahahahaha!

Manuel Gomez

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 14, 2014 at 12:11:34 pm

[Manuel Gomez] "Sense I hate reading so much though aaaaahhh thank the Lord for youtube tutorials hahahahaha!"
All you need to do is render your video as MainConcept MPEG-2 using one of the DVD Architect ... templates (probably the NTSC Widescreen if you are in the US). Then render your audio as Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro using the 5.1 Surround Sound template. Give the audio file the same name as the video file but with the .ac3 extension of course. Then create a DVD Widescreen project with 5.1 Surround Sound audio in DVD Architect Pro 5.0, drop the video onto the menu and it will pull the 5.1 audio file in with it. Burn your DVD and you're done.

~jr

Return to posts index

Manuel Gomez
on Jun 14, 2014 at 4:17:27 pm

You're right and it worked! I had to use the Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio instead though because its telling me I need the plug-in for Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro and I can unlock this feature by installing and registering DVD Architect? Well It is registered/activated/and operating so not sure what that means...You have any idea? OH and before I forget one last thing! Would If I just want to render the center speaker and two rear speakers? I've disabled them in Sony Vegas but when the DVD is made there is just no sound at all...Any idea?

Manuel Gomez

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 14, 2014 at 8:34:36 pm

[Manuel Gomez] "I had to use the Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio instead though because its telling me I need the plug-in for Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro and I can unlock this feature by installing and registering DVD Architect? Well It is registered/activated/and operating so not sure what that means...You have any idea?"
Do you have DVD Architect Pro or Studio? If you have Pro, the Pro AC-3 encoder should be activated. I would contact Sony if it is not.
[Manuel Gomez] "OH and before I forget one last thing! Would If I just want to render the center speaker and two rear speakers? I've disabled them in Sony Vegas but when the DVD is made there is just no sound at all...Any idea?"
I'm not sure I follow. If you disabled the speakers you won't get any sound from them.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]