FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 Videos Reporting Shorter Playing Time When Burned to DVD

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norm Kaiser
MPEG2 Videos Reporting Shorter Playing Time When Burned to DVD
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:10:07 am

All right, I've Googled this issue to death and I can't find anything.

I produce a 44 minute show. In Vegas, the project is exactly 44 minutes long. 44:00;02, to be exact. I render the videos to be burned to DVD as MPEG2. The MPEG2 file plays exactly right and the run time of the video is exact. It ends exactly at 44:00.

But when I burn the video to DVD and play it back, it's somehow short a couple of seconds. It's odd, because all the video is there. It's not like I'm missing seconds of video. It's just that the video playback is reporting that the video is shorter by a few seconds than before I burned it.

Any ideas?

I'm using DVD Styler to burn the DVDs. Is DVD Styler dropping frames it doesn't like or something?

Thank you so much in advance.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: MPEG2 Videos Reporting Shorter Playing Time When Burned to DVD
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:19:10 am

Is your timeline ruler set to drop frame mode?
I just loaded a project and it says 00:45:53:10 in drop frame mode and 00:45:50:18 in non drop frame mode.

Return to posts index

Norm Kaiser
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:26:03 am

Welp, I think that's it!

My time ruler is set to drop frame. So what should I do? Is drop frame or non-drop more the standard today? I would assume non-drop, considering Windows Media Player and VLC default to it?

But Vegas seems to default to drop frame?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:37:43 am

It's personal preference. The only time you NEED to use drop frame mode is if you're delivering for a tv station. Otherwise non drop makes more sense. You can change the setting by right clicking the time code numbers and scrolling down to choose the appropriate setting. I just shut my computer off or I'd give you more information. Hopefully you can figure it out.

Return to posts index

Norm Kaiser
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:41:03 am

Yes, I am delivering to TV stations...that's why I'm set to drop frame. But evidently my burning software is burning the DVD as non-drop frame???

The TV stations in question request playable DVDs, not DVDs with raw MPEG2 files on them.

So my question is, am I rendering correctly out of Vegas (drop frame) only for my DVD burning software to mess it up (non drop)?

Is it even possible to create a playable DVD that's drop frame?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:46:02 am

I wouldn't worry about it. I use Sony's DVD Architect and it doesn't know the difference between the two modes either. As long as you created it properly you're fine.

Return to posts index

Norm Kaiser
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:50:05 am

I guess the worry I have is, won't it mess up commercial insertion? I send the stations a cue sheet with an EXACT commercial insertion time spots. I'm not exactly sure how automated commercial insertion works, but if the DVD is not set to drop frame, won't the commercial pop in either a moment too soon or a moment too late?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:55:17 am

Videotape understands time code but I've never known a DVD to have a clue about it. To be honest I'm surprised that the station is asking for it as a delivery medium. If you're concerned the best thing to do is talk to them and express your concerns.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]