FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I record video with DSLR in real time to my HDD with Sony Vegas?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michal Bronec
Can I record video with DSLR in real time to my HDD with Sony Vegas?
on Jun 5, 2014 at 12:35:18 pm

I need to record a 90minute lecture, but DSLRs has a clip length limit. Is it possible to record the video in Sony Vegas? If its possible, how do I do it? Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
Re: Can I record video with DSLR in real time to my HDD with Sony Vegas?
on Jun 5, 2014 at 2:47:33 pm

Can you test it out for yourself? I have no idea, though for some DSLRs the camera will overheat around 15 minutes, anyways.

Return to posts index

Michal Bronec
on Jun 5, 2014 at 4:34:01 pm

I cant test it, because I dont know how to do it :) I know, but my camera doesnt overheat.

Return to posts index

Miguel Almanza
on Jun 5, 2014 at 8:49:54 pm

I have DSLRs and a professional camera, and I can test this for you, but I do not believe this is a matter of Sony Vegas, it is a matter of the limitation of the DSLR.

It is due to the overheating of the sensor on the DSLR, and Vegas cannot help you with that.

You can hack the DSLR with firmware and then change that limit, but there's a risk of no warning which might damage your DSLR. Again, this is not a Vegas question.

Good luck, mate. :)

Return to posts index

Michal Bronec
on Jun 5, 2014 at 11:08:09 pm

I didnt heard about any DSLR that was damaged by overheating, so I am not afraid of it. I was just wondering if its possible to capture video from a camera into Vegas in real time. I heard its possible, but I dont know how :)

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jun 6, 2014 at 6:46:09 am

What kind of camera do you have?

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Jun 6, 2014 at 8:02:59 pm

[Michal Bronec] "I didnt heard about any DSLR that was damaged by overheating, so I am not afraid of it. "

A long time ago, with the very first video DSLRs, this might have been a problem for a few of them. Those that did risk overheating actually had a temp sensor and an automatic shutdown to protect the sensor. The Canon T2i could overheat.. it had a "red thermometer" warning if the sensor was getting to hot. Sony has some trouble in some of its pellicle mirror cameras with overheating (worse if AF is enabled, which makes it sound like the processor more than the sensor is what's overheating), and they shut down to protect the camera as well. If the camera wasn't expected to overheat by did anyway (eg, a poor design), It's certainly not a general problem today.

The next roadblock is file size. Older models stop because a file fills up... they only support a 32-bit file system, and once you get to 4GB, it's time to stop. Unlike true camcorders, there was no thought of seamless chaining to the next file (pretty much what every solid-state camcorder has done for a decade+). But that got fixed, too.

Newer models actually support a 64-bit file system (exFAT... any camera that supports SDXC cards supports exFAT), but typically don't have 64-bit internal file management, so you still get bumped at 4GB. However, many of the more recent cameras chain files, just like camcorders do. My Canon 6D, for example, will record for 29'59". That limit is a completely idiotic limit forced on everyone because of Europe. In Europe, they have a separate tax on video recording devices, but for arcane reasons, apparently you're only recording video if you do so for 30min. or more. So Canon, Sony, and I think Nikon all stop at 29'59", even if you're using a US model, which has no rational reason for stopping there. Panasonic cameras, like the new GH4, do not stop at 29'59".

If you have a Canon, you can get Magic Lantern software that sorta-kinda fixes this problem. It won't be seamless, but you can set the enhanced firmware to immediately start recording again if the camera stops.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jun 6, 2014 at 5:36:05 pm

Many DSLRs have a live HDMI output. You would need an HDMI capture input on your computer and software that can record from HDMI.

Read the Vegas Help topic
Capturing Video
and
Capturing from an SDI card (which talks a little about HDMI)

Return to posts index

Michal Bronec
on Jun 10, 2014 at 5:25:54 pm

Maybe the best way would be using external recorder (Atomos Ninja Star)?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]