Render 4:2:2 with 96khz 24-bit audio?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David McCormick
Render 4:2:2 with 96khz 24-bit audio?
on Jun 3, 2014 at 3:46:31 am
Last Edited By David McCormick on Jun 3, 2014 at 3:56:36 am

Hi,

I am working on a project and have some videos which are 50mbps 4:2:2 (from a Canon XF100) and all the audio has been recorded externally at 96khz 24-bit audio settings. I am currently using Vegas Pro 13.

What I would like to do is render to a format that will keep the 4:2:2 and the 96khz (with possibly 10-bit colors as I'd prefer better than 8-bit since vegas edits with 32-bit color range) with the bit rate between 35-40mbps without getting a huge file size.

I tried a few different setting including different AVI settings and was getting 4GB+ for only 50 seconds of video with no audio and I want to render a 12 minute video.

Can anyone help recommend good render settings? I used to normally render to 35mpbs 440kbps 96khz WMV which gave smaller file sizes but that only outputs 4:2:0 8-bit and don't want to downsample the video from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Render 4:2:2 with 96khz 24-bit audio?
on Jun 3, 2014 at 2:55:08 pm

The only native codecs in Vegas which are 4:2:2 that I remember are

Sony MXF HD422 8-bit (this is what your cam is outputting)
HDCAM SR 422 or 444 10-bit
XAVC Intra. 10-bit

These are all limited to 48Khz. PCM output.
HDCAM SR and XAVC Intra being high bitrate intermediate formats.

Video for Windows, Sony YUV is 422 and allows 96Khz PCM but this is uncompressed video. Other than the subsampling of course.

Mainconcept AVC allows 96Khz AAC compressed output, but it is 4:2:0.

[David McCormick] "with possibly 10-bit colors as I'd prefer better than 8-bit since vegas edits with 32-bit color range"

Your camera is 8-bit output. 10-bit output/edit does not really give you anything.

Return to posts index

David McCormick
on Jun 3, 2014 at 3:29:11 pm

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the reply. Your right It wound't really do any good rendering to 10-bit or better when the camera only outputs 8-bit as trying different render settings and codecs I didn't see any difference in colors. I'll keep playing around with settings and see what works best for me.

One of the issues I had wasn't that I didn't want to use avi entirely as it seems the best overall option. The problem I have when rendering an AVI is that when I do render a file to avi in different codecs like x264 or Cineform, Sony YUV etc... I can't seem to get the rendered video to play back smoothly on any player like windows media player, VLC, Divx Player or media player classic without it either playing slowly and jerky, only getting audio and no video etc...

Anyone know how I could render to avi and still be able to play the video back smoothly after rendering?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jun 3, 2014 at 8:33:12 pm

I can't help you there. I try to avoid Video for Windows like the plague. It was depreciated in 1995 and it just won't die and go away.

I do use Sony YUV at times as an intermediate to Handbrake. I think I have tried playing back a few times, uncompressed and Cineform, and don't remember any problem. Not enough testing to make any conclusions.

The media player I use is Media Player Classic Home cinema, installed via K-lite Standard edition.

My playback renders are all AVC MP4 files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]