No Sound from My MPEG2 After Rendering

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie King
No Sound from My MPEG2 After Rendering
on May 31, 2014 at 1:57:58 pm
Last Edited By Debbie King on May 31, 2014 at 2:27:05 pm

Hello Everyone:

I just completed rendering my film on MGEG2 and downloaded Apple Quicktime for Windows. The movie plays well, but the sound is super low where it is not heard unless I turn the volume to the max. Everything in Sony played well, including the sound. Has this happened to anyone?

Update. I just read a previous post regarding MPEG no sound. I rendered my film to DVD Architect where the video is rendered with no sound. I also read that audio needs to be rendered so I rendered the audio in Dolby. Now I am not sure how to get the sound with the video. Does anyone know how to do it?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: No Sound from My MPEG2 After Rendering
on May 31, 2014 at 4:50:28 pm

If you gave both files the same name and rendered them to the same folder, DVD Architect automatically adds the audio file once you load the video file.

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 31, 2014 at 5:06:38 pm
Last Edited By Debbie King on May 31, 2014 at 5:44:15 pm

Hi Mike:

Please forgive my naiveté. Do I need a DVD authoring software to load the DVD?

UPDATE: I found NERO on my computer and attempted to burn my DVD. It turns out that now that I have two separate files, I have exceeded the memory for one disc which holds only 4.3GB. My two files combined hold over 4.8GB. Isn't there a way that I can render the movie with both audio and video together? I saw in the store where they sell two layer DVD's. Wouldn't I need a specific hardware in order to burn double layer DVD's.

My thought is many people are rendering separate files and are able to save their film on a DVD. Would you know how all this works?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 31, 2014 at 5:11:49 pm

Debbie, by "loading" the DVD, do you mean playing it on your computer?
If you do, then most of the players (Windows Media Player, VLC, Media Player Classic, etc.) can do that for you.

If you mean creating the DVD, that's the job of DVD Architect.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 1, 2014 at 5:26:37 am

Sorry to butt in here Mike, i do have to ask Debbie: Debbie what is the PLAY TIME length of your Video?

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 1, 2014 at 8:43:02 pm
Last Edited By Debbie King on Jun 1, 2014 at 8:43:51 pm

Hi Grazie:

1 hour 39 minutes 59 seconds. I was able to access DVD Architect Studio and I have NERO on my computer. Got the movie to play by rendering the audio separately and dropping both files into Architect Studio. I am still confused, however. What I discovered is that my footage is a little more that the average DVD disk memory 4.3GB. I want to either shrink the bitrate or burn it on a dual layer, or would I need an external Dual Layer burner to do this? Can I use NERO exclusively?

I hear both arguments. Some say I need an external hardware(Staples and Best Buy) and B&H says that I do not. Any clarifications?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 1, 2014 at 9:18:00 pm

I can easily do a 2 hour DVD on a single platter. You don't need anything extra.

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 1, 2014 at 9:37:56 pm
Last Edited By Debbie King on Jun 4, 2014 at 2:40:45 pm

Hi Grazie:

My DVD is under 2 hours, but the memory sizes exceeds the average memory the disc allows. I was told that changing the bitrate is an option, but I don't know how to do that. I was going to get some Dual Layers and create the DvD's in NERO, if I don't need an external.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 1, 2014 at 9:46:26 pm

What Bitrate are you using?

Grazie

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 1, 2014 at 9:55:47 pm

I hope I'm reading it correctly. On my Architect Studio it reads. 6.449 bitrate.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 2, 2014 at 6:35:07 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Jun 2, 2014 at 9:07:40 am

Debbie? Where did you get or have had suggested to you that 6.449 was suitable? That would take your 1hour 40min video into the area of 4.8gb of DVD usage, which WILL put the DVD over its maximum storage abilities. In fact using "Mark's Bitrate Calculator" I get 4.836gb, which is 104% of that magic 4.7gb limit.

OK, using the same calculator I'm getting for Video and Audio at a CONSTANT BITRATE(CBR) 5.944. This reflects a usage of the 4.7gb DVD of 4.647gb or 98.87%. So to recap:

Debbie's: 6.449(CBR) = 4.836gb
Graham's: 5.944(CBR) = 4.647gb

Your 1hour 40minute project requires a more acute and precise understanding of what can be achieved with a DVD. Once learnt it will hold you in great staid. I truly strongly advise you to download and install Mark's Bitrate calculator, and take a little time to enter various variables like LENGTH of DVD and your proposed choice of AUDIO quality. This s/w is easy to use and is simple and quick to come to figures that are suitable.

Whilst here we've ONLY spoken of CONSTANT BITRATE (CBR), there is a FURTHER option: VARIABLE BITRATE (VBR). VBR allows the encoder to adjust the bitrate according to the amount of visual "noise" apparent on the Project. Visual noise could be badly captured footage from low light, or of FIREWORKS being let off. Lots of fine, quick movement demands higher rates of encoding to get a better than just "acceptable" quality BUT maintain a roof of that 4.7gb size. Step up VBR, which can take advantage of the ENCODER to do this and will only use HIGHER bitrates when needed. This in turn preserves space on your DVD and allows you to make use of that higher bitrate for better encoding.

I hope all this helped you? You do NOT need to buy anything extra nor use DUAL layer DVDs. However, I would strongly suggest you use REWRITABLE DVDs while you are testing your numerical experiments - Lol! We've all been here before. It took me time to get my head around the the DVD render process/option.

Cheers

Grazie

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 2, 2014 at 1:17:41 pm

Debbie, this is a follow up to Grazie's excellent (as usual!!) posts.

First of all, here's a link to Mark's Bitrate Calculator that Grazie recommended.
I make three changes to the default settings.
Both are accessed by clicking on the Settings button in the lower left corner of the main screen.
The first one is to click the 1 Kilobit = 1000 bits button.
Next, set the Audio encoding type and Bitrate dropdown menu to 192 Kb/s - Dolby 1.0. This is the default setting in Vegas and will work fine for your DVD creations.
Finally, change the Safety Margin to 5% from the default 1%.

Here's a screenshot with your settings.

Now on to your encoding settings.
You never said if you were using Vegas Pro or Vegas Movie Studio. The following screenshots are from Vegas Pro so I hope they work for you.
Click Render As in Vegas, set the settings as shown and then click the Custom button.
On this tab, slide the Video Quality slider to its highest setting.
Click the Variable bit rate and Two-pass buttons.
Enter the values from the bitrate calculator.
You'll notice that I set the Max value to 8,000,000 instead of the recommended 9,608,000 (FYI, the last 3 zeros are assumed by the bitrate calculator). My personal feeling is that the Max value should never exceed 8,000,000 as the quality of some blank DVDs and players leave a lot to be desired and settings that are too high can cause playback problems. Other users may disagree with me but I've burned thousands of DVDs using this method and its never let me down.
You can save this setting by going to the Template box at the top of the screen, entering in whatever name you want and clicking the floppy disc icon to the right to save it. I have several presets saved and use them all the time.
Finally, click on the Project tab and change Video rendering quality to Best. This will result in slightly longer renders but the final quality is worth it.

Let me add a few more comments here.
If a project is 70 min. or less, I use a custom CBR setting of 8,000,000. Anything longer and I always do a custom 2-pass VBR render with settings determined by the bitrate calculator.
Render both files to the same folder and give them the same name. That way, when you load your video file into DVD Architect, the audio file will automatically follow.
Good luck with the project and please let us know of you have any more questions.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 2, 2014 at 2:06:07 pm

Mike, AWESOME input from you - thanks! - What a Team!

Toodles

Grazie

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 2, 2014 at 2:08:11 pm

Thanks Grazie. This forum has been very helpful to me over the years so I like to return the favour when I can.

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 4, 2014 at 2:38:49 pm

Hi Mike:

Thank you so much. This is tremendously helpful. The screenshots are invaluable. Thank you.

I am going to download the bitrate calculator (thanks Grazie) today and start testing.

Best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 5, 2014 at 2:08:59 pm

You're very welcome Debbie. As Grazie said, DVD encoding is a bit of a (black!!) art and it takes some time to get comfortable with all the various options available. Good luck on this and all your future projects.

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 4, 2014 at 2:33:18 pm

Hi Grazie:

In a word; wow! LOL

Thank you. Yes, you are correct. I was not able to save my project on a regular DVD without help in adjusting the bitrate. I tried using NERO which adjusted the Bitrate and also affected the quality of the project. So much so, that there were things seen that I did not recognize, like a picture frame that looked like an attachment to someone's head; an unrecognizable microphone, etc. Very poor resolution results.

I will try what you suggested.

Thank you,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 4, 2014 at 2:50:28 pm
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Jun 4, 2014 at 3:01:33 pm

Debbie, you're welcome.

Advanced Encoding for DVD is an Art Form. Fortunately, getting some of the simplest stuff nailed-down is quite straightforward.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:44:52 pm

Hi Grazie:

You and Mike might appreciate this. I have been rendering my 24P as 29P and 16:9 as 4:3. When I switched and rendered to 24P and 16:9 widescreen, the bitrate changed significantly. Now it's 312MB LOL. What a difference. I did see something unusual when the person moved in the frame. It appeared as if there was a double image following the movement. Has this ever happened?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 5, 2014 at 8:34:40 pm

Hi Grazie:

What do you think of Sound Forge Pro 11? It has Izotope included and I believe the trial is 30 days. Izotope's trial is only 10 days. Starting off with a huge learning curve, the 30 day trial seems more attractive.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Jun 22, 2014 at 10:50:57 am

Hi Grazie:

Thank you so much for doing the calculations. All worked out well.

Very much appreciated.

Best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]