FORUMS: list search recent posts

trouble with jolting/flickering in slideshow edited in Vegas 12

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachelle Perkins
trouble with jolting/flickering in slideshow edited in Vegas 12
on May 30, 2014 at 8:52:05 pm

I am editing a slideshow of mostly Jpegs and 90% are from the same media source. The footage flickers and jolts while playing on the timeline without any pattern to it. Either during crossfades or simply with one image on the screen. I have matched the property settings of the project to one of the images in the project (advice from tech support at Vegas) doesn't make a difference. Also doesn't make a difference what the preview window setting is....Anyone can help?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: trouble with jolting/flickering in slideshow edited in Vegas 12
on May 30, 2014 at 9:20:16 pm

Vegas can have playback performance issues if your photos are quite large and you have pan/zoom/rotates on the photos.

[Rachelle Perkins] " I have matched the property settings of the project to one of the images in the project (advice from tech support at Vegas"

This does not make sense to me. Photos are still images and you are editing a video. For example, stills do not have a frame rate and your stills are probably much larger than you intended video size.

What are your project settings? Size, frame rate, interlace.

What is the size of your typical JPG? Unless you have resized them, they are probably big when straight from the camera.

To get good playback performance in a slideshow project I did, I resized the images to 2400x1800 (4MP) from 4000x3000 (12MP). My project was 1440x1080 so the 1800 size was big enough for some good sized crops. A few photos I left full size since they had very large crops.

You can always crop as much as you want, but for MAX quality you do not want your crops to go smaller than the project dimension.

You can resize in your photo editor of choice or the free Irfanview program. In Photoshop and Irfanview you can batch resize all photos.

Return to posts index

Rachelle Perkins
on May 30, 2014 at 9:26:45 pm

Thank you for all this info. When I say I matched the project settings to the photos used, it didn't really make sense to me either, that's the advice one of the tech guys gave me from vegas support. I do that with footage but have never done that with photos. I'll try sizing the photos as you have suggested. However, here's one issue that could make a difference. The photos are all from an iPhone. The person asking me to put this video together only had photos taken on their phone....do you think that would make a difference?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on May 30, 2014 at 11:48:19 pm

I doubt it would make a difference. JPG files are pretty generic. The aspect ratio of phone photos can be quite different from your video aspect ratio. That is the only thing I can think of that you will have to handle.

My one slideshow project was 4:3 since that is what the digicam ratio was but I was given a number of phone photos. Some iPhone and some not.

Return to posts index

Rachelle Perkins
on May 31, 2014 at 12:06:06 am

Thank you so much for your help... Will experiment with your advice.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jun 3, 2014 at 10:53:37 pm
Last Edited By Nigel O'Neill on Jun 3, 2014 at 10:54:10 pm

Rachelle, have you tried right-clicking the Video Preview window and deselecting Adjust Size and Quality for Optimal Playback?

When the command is selected, video quality is emphasized, and the frame rate will be reduced if necessary, which means flickering and jittery play back.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Rachelle Perkins
on Jun 3, 2014 at 11:18:30 pm

Thank you for these specs Nigel, this is really helpful

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jun 4, 2014 at 12:00:57 am

You are welcome. Hope that was the fix.

I have never had to resize my jpegs before bringing them into Vegas. I just bring them in. I might have to do some cropping through the video event properties, but Vegas generally does a good job.

You should also right click the event (image) on your timeline and enable 'reduce interlace flicker'.

Return to posts index

Rachelle Perkins
on Jun 4, 2014 at 12:11:25 am

Also helpful!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]