FORUMS: list search recent posts

Restoring a project via temp files

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Riordan
Restoring a project via temp files
on May 26, 2014 at 1:33:13 am
Last Edited By Tim Riordan on May 26, 2014 at 1:38:31 am

I'm using Vegas Pro 12, build 770. I was working on a project and had four instances of Vegas open, a couple with differing content, a couple with a mix of content that was duplicated. At any rate, I closed out one of the instances and by accident clicked 'No' when it asked if I wanted to save the project. I have my OS and programs installed on a 120Gb SSD, and my media on a separate HDD. I set up Vegas so the temp directory is on the HDD where the media is. In General Preferences I have also clicked 'Enable Autosave'.

I saved and closed the other instances of Vegas I had open, and went to the temp folder where the autosave files are located. I went through the entire list and opened all, hoping to find the project that I had closed without saving. This included the restore.veg and the autosave.veg.bak files. All the instances of Vegas I was working on had been open at least a couple of hours. But the project wasn't there. Of the four projects I had open, only two of them were amongst the autosaved files. What I found strange was that the autosaved files seemed to be a fairly random mix of projects I had worked on in the last week. I'm not sure how Vegas handles the autosaves, and determines which projects are saved and which aren't. I'm also not sure how frequently the autosave occurs, and if that is a user defined option. I went through the Options but didn't see it, unless I'm missing something. Can I designate how often the autosaves occur and is there any other way I could find the file I closed without saving? If not, it's not the worst case, as the source was an AVI. I re-opened the source file in the trimmer and the markers were saved, as per enabling that in General Preferences. It would just involve reloading about 50 marker regions into the timeline and I'd like to avoid that if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks.

"There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and those who can't"

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Restoring a project via temp files
on May 26, 2014 at 10:45:18 am

[Tim Riordan] "I'm also not sure how frequently the autosave occurs, and if that is a user defined option. I went through the Options but didn't see it, unless I'm missing something. Can I designate how often the autosaves occur and is there any other way I could find the file I closed without saving?"
Unfortunately no, there is not. Other NLE's like Final Cut Pro X save every move you make in fact, there is no Save option in FCP X, you just close the project when your done. You never loose work! Sony should really move to a model that saves your work better. The latest autosave file in the temp folder is all you have to work with.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Tim Riordan
on May 26, 2014 at 10:48:41 am

OK, thanks John, at least I still have the source file. I appreciate the response.

"There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and those who can't"

Return to posts index

Marcus Chandler
on Sep 19, 2014 at 5:06:27 pm

I was looking for the same feature. Is there a scripts for this or a feature in Ultimate S?

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Sep 19, 2014 at 5:25:57 pm

Vegasaur and Excalibur have AutoSave function

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]